The cummins shake at shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took this girl on a date (if you can believe that) and when I shut off my truck, she goes is it supposed to do that?, to which I responded yes. lol I didn't bother going into detail as to why and bore her to tears, but it's my understanding that since a diesel takes in a full charge of air even at idle that's how it shakes so much along with the high compression. Now how come the powerstroke and Duramax doesn't shake and only the cummins does?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I took this girl on a date (if you can believe that) and when I shut off my truck, she goes is it supposed to do that?, to which I responded yes. lol I didn't bother going into detail as to why and bore her to tears, but it's my understanding that since a diesel takes in a full charge of air even at idle that's how it shakes so much along with the high compression. Now how come the powerstroke and Duramax doesn't shake and only the cummins does?

when i had my envoy with the inline-6 vortec 4.2 engine it did what you're calling "the cummins shake" and it's a gas engine. not sure if that was because of worn motor mounts but it did that most of the times when i shut it off. perhaps it has to do with inline-6 engines?

Last edited:
I've been in several power strokes that do it mainly older ones. I always just assumed they probably designed the mounts to isolate more of that. The cummins is a cool man's man diesel. I always loved the shake and even the belt squeal at shut down.

Most modern diesels have a butterfly valve on the intake to prevent this from happening. I believe VW called it the “ anti shutter valve.” Regardless, that is what’s it’s designed to prevent.

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
Most modern diesels have a butterfly valve on the intake to prevent this from happening. I believe VW called it the “ anti shutter valve.” Regardless, that is what’s it’s designed to prevent.
I figured that's what it was. Mine has one too, but I guess they don't have it programmed for that. I think they would lose too much market share if it didn't shake. lol

Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
My Cummins 6.7 and Powerstroke 7.3 both shake as well as every diesel big and little I've driven.

They do but not nearly like a cummins does.

Drove a coworker's 2002 RAM 2500 and I noticed this as well; I just figured there were some big honkin' pistons coming to a stop and the CR probably didn't help.

I took this girl on a date (if you can believe that) and when I shut off my truck, she goes is it supposed to do that?

I thought every third vehicle in Tejas was a diesel truck?

My wife and her mother test drove a few trucks a few years back, thinking 2006. One was a 5.9 common rail. She hated the lope of the engine and commented on the shutter at shut down. She never wanted to own a diesel. Fast forward late 2016 and we started testing diesel trucks again. She loves the Cummins now and loves the shutter at shut down.

I think its the high compression which is more noticeable as the rpm drop on shut down. What ever the cause, the women like it.

the engine shook like when the washing machine shut down and always like shaking a lot?

once i have that experience while start the engine, the car looks shaking a lot and also when off the engine.

in the weekend i checked and turned out that the problem in engine mounting that needs to be changed. according to maintenance internal, it needs to be changed every 4 year. then i changed it and voilaaa it works the problem. i do not know it will help you or not.

My Freightliner (with a Detroit) has a start/stop system for maintaining cabin temp, oil temp and battery charging. It's supposed to "burp" (for lack of a better word) the Jake Brake when shutting off. It makes the engine stop quick and smooth. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work and shuts down with the typical shake of the truck.

It really is a dramatic difference and nice when the Jake stops it quickly.

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName

Yup! Thats OP problem...that valve is gear driven (plastic gears)...and when gears wore out that valve is unable to close itself...

In 98% you have to buy new one...in 2% you can postpone that problem for a while if you open its gearbox mechanism and rotate gears the way that the missing/shared tooth doesent Prevent valve to close itself....

The shutdown chirp is the accessories not stopping as fast as the engine-a Gatorback/Continental Elite serpentine will fix that. My '06 shakes a little on shutdown, but I think it's normal. I personally miss rattling my & the neighbor's windows when starting my '02 Cummins HO in winter, that DEFINED diesel noise!

My 05 6.0 PSD has very minimal shake when shutting down but does have the characteristic belt "chirp" every time you shut it off.

When I start it, it scares the heck out of people that aren't ready for it with full 4" exhaust, no muffler and a slightly worked Garret GT3788V that screams like a 747 on the runway!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Friend of mine has a 6.4 that has the jet sound. It's a quiet truck as far as intake and exhaust, but it sounds like a jet

Yeah they sound ridiculous. It's one thing to hear turbo boost when you're on the throttle good, but they sound like a vacuum cleaner at 10mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back