09 Ford focus randomly dies when turning hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today my moms car when making a left turn to turn from one street onto another it just shut off. No stumble just off. So we had a few minutes before my doctors appointment so we drove around and when turning left into the parking lot at the doctors it died again. Then in the way home the idle when sitting would surge a little. Finally it through a pending code p0300. So I looked over everything obvious. There's no vacuum leaks spark plugs are 6 months old she always get gas at the same bp station. The throttle body had very little carbon as well. I know some of the older focuses had fuel pump issues not sure if this year still does. I can't easily check fuel pressure as there is no shrader valve so I haven't gotten a chance to do that yet. But when it's fine it's fine . She drove it about 10 miles home and said it never acted up. Any thoughts? Or anything in general I should check?

Originally Posted By: andyd
loose battery cable? Check the cheap, easy stuff first.
yea battery cables were good and tight to.

What Have you observed when turning hard? Is it electric assist PS?

What could get moved/touched/shorted?

I don't think it's electric assist. It's when turning left while driving. If it's parked it doesn't affect it to turn. As far as what could get touched or shorted I didn't observe anything out of place or that could be a problem. It did surge and run rough while sitting at my house but when she drove home she said it did fine.

Last edited:
Try cleaning the throttle body. I dont know if its related, but the Mazda 3s with the smaller engine around this time had issue with random shut downs.

I wiped it out but really short of taking it off it was pretty clean.

I wiped it out but really short of taking it off it was pretty clean.

Isn't there some sort of sensor that increases idle when steering, so that it doesn't stall? Can't think of the name.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Isn't there some sort of sensor that increases idle when steering, so that it doesn't stall? Can't think of the name.

There is on some cars Im not sure about this one. But it was surging in park in the driveway and running rough . When the pending code came up on the scanner the live data showed short term fuel trim at +25

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Fill it up with gas and see if it still dies.

Had 3/4 tank today. What would the tank being full show?

Doing some reading would it be possible that the electronic throttle body be the culprit? Hopefully the car will act in a way to throw a helpful code.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
The +25% ST fuel trim is telling you a lot. Does the trim correct with RPM/Throttle?

When I was actively watch the pids the fuel trims were normal. Only time I saw them out of wack was when the freeze frame data showed up after the pending code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back