Mobil 1 5W/30 04 Toyota 4runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my first ever UOA back on my truck. I have had this vehicle since new. Was concerned if I would find traces of antifreeze in the oil, since these 4th gen. 4runners are notorious for HG leaks. Mine has never had any signs of a leak yet, knock on wood. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Wow, great report! Any reason for the short OCI, other than concern over HG leak?

High indy, that was the only reason. I usually go 7,000 between changes. I'm hoping i never have to go through the HG ordeal.

Originally Posted By: jbn3500
Had my first ever UOA back on my truck. I have had this vehicle since new. Was concerned if I would find traces of antifreeze in the oil, since these 4th gen. 4runners are notorious for HG leaks. Mine has never had any signs of a leak yet, knock on wood. Thanks.

Notorious? I have the same engine in my '07 Tacoma. This is the first I have ever heard about HG leaks on these engines. Could that have been an '04 thing that was fixed on later models?

Can't ask for much better.
Nice Report.
thumbsup2.gif

The 1990-1992 4 Runner V-6 (a 3.0 SOHC) was notorious for HG leaks and subject to a huge recall.

Your engine is known as a good, durable performer.

I think you’re confusing the two...

Originally Posted By: Dave1027
Originally Posted By: jbn3500

Notorious? I have the same engine in my '07 Tacoma. This is the first I have ever heard about HG leaks on these engines. Could that have been an '04 thing that was fixed on later models?

Dave, it's mostly in the 4th gen 4runners, but the earlier years seem to have the issues. ALOT of HG problems are caused from owners overheating their engines. Luckily, I have never overheated my vehicle.

the 4.0L H/G issues were addressed after mfg. date 11/05 I've read...let's see some pics of this bad boy.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
the 4.0L H/G issues were addressed after mfg. date 11/05 I've read...let's see some pics of this bad boy.

Here she is dblshock. Drove her off the show room floor in 2004, and loved driving this rig since! How do you like your 4runner?

The 04-05 V6's are prone to issues. I have an 04 with 173k. Love the vehicle, but also worry about the HG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CARJ
The 04-05 V6's are prone to issues. I have an 04 with 173k. Love the vehicle, but also worry about the HG.

Holy Smokes carj, ours could be twins. Nice looking vehicle. are you having any signs of a HG issue with yours?

So far I don't think so. It does use a little bit of coolant but hasn't shown any of the other signs. I recently replaced the radiator, hoses and thermostat after it started to run warm (over 200 on the scan gauge) and that fixed the issue. Just did 3,100 miles over the last couple of weeks and it's running great. At this point, if the HG becomes an issue, we'll just have it replaced and continue driving it. There's no reason it can't go 300k.

I believe universal averages are for 6,000 miles. So, your extrapolated wear rates are a little higher than universal averages but still in the same ballpark (15 ppm vs. 11 ppm). Mobil 1 has improved its valvetrain wear (iron number) but it's still a little higher than a typical oil that doesn't contain the AW-additive-fighting esters. Slight increase in wear is OK though given the cleaning advantages of Mobil 1.

Since this is turning into a T4R picture thread, here's mine; apologies no exotic location pics yet, only had it a couple months. I didn't fit in the Gen IV, the extra headroom in the Gen V made the difference!

TTqV336.jpg

I greased the axles other day myself..whoa, smooth and powerful, what a machine...nothing like a T4R.

As someone said above, 1gr-fe's found in 4Rs manufactured prior to late 2005 are more prone to the headgasket cylinder 6 leak and subsequent misfire.

I have a 2005 and I caught the leak at 88k miles. I fixed it myself in Fall 2011 and haven't had any problems since. It has ~136k on it now.

Mine never overheated, nor have many of the others who have had this problem. I feel that it's a manufacturing defect. My heads required milling, though never overheated. That in combination with the fact that Toyota updated the headgaskets makes me believe so...

Here's my 4th gen...

...and my 2017 5th gen just because...
smile.gif

I know, it's dirty...running the Alanza A/S for summer tires here 46 degrees north 1.25" spacers 5100 Bilsteins up one click in front all dialed in from the shop...my run to work nowadays is 20mi. flat 55mph pulling 24 mpg on E091 TC-W3 spiked fuel...running/driving like new.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Since this is turning into a T4R picture thread, here's mine; apologies no exotic location pics yet, only had it a couple months. I didn't fit in the Gen IV, the extra headroom in the Gen V made the difference!

TTqV336.jpg

Wow, I love that color! That is one nice looking T4R! Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back