Chrysler ATF+4 Fluid - what's the best deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to get a case of ATF+4 fluid for my 07 Pacifica with 6sp auto. Will be dropping the pan and replacing filter. This will probably only replace about 3-5 quarts if I'm not mistaken, so I'll drop the pan again in a few thousand miles to get more old fluid out.

What's the best deal going for ATF+4? I have some Amalie Synthetic Universal ATF which claims to be compatible with everything under the sun (works good in my Honda which takes DW-1) but I think I'm safer going with an ATF+4 licensed product on this vehicle-- it's the very first year for Chrysler's 6 speed auto. Not having much luck on Ebay or Amazon, price is above $5-6/qt which isn't saving me any money versus retail. I don't need the Mopar stuff, just a good Havoline, Mobil, Valvoline, etc. made for ATF+4. Unless the universal stuff I have is okay, curious to see thoughts and opinions on the subject.

Walmart's house brand is probably the best price as stated above
smile.gif

Chrysler is very strict with their ATF+4 licensing program. They require a specific group III base stock (from SK, Shell, or Petro-Canada) and a specific Lubrizol add pack. Therefore, any ATF+4 on Chrysler's official approved list is the same. Note that Walmart's ATF+4 *is* licensed
thumbsup2.gif

If you don't like Walmart, or if your local Walmart doesn't carry it, Advance Auto has Castrol ATF+4 for $5/qt on sale right now.

However, the best fluid to use on a transmission that calls for ATF+4 is called Redline C+. However, it is not licensed ATF+4 because it uses a group V ester base oil (but does use the same Lubrizol add pack as licensed ATF+4)

I would only use AT4 in your car,Advance had Castrol Atf4 quarts 2 for $10 least week,but for my Jeep I go to federated auto parts and get a whole case of there brand ATF4 for around $32.00.

Never used the super tech Atf4,but a lot of my friends that own Jeeps, use it in the transfer cases and rear ends,they change it every month or so,because it’s cheap and they submerge there underbody of there rigs in mud and water every weekend,so they dump the fluid all the time to avoid issues.

But just use any Licensed ATF4 your in Pacifica will be fine,also make sure you follow the torque pattern when tightening the pan back on,If you don’t it may seat uneven and leak. Good luck

Originally Posted By: troutfisher
make sure you follow the torque pattern when tightening the pan back on,If you don’t it may seat uneven and leak. Good luck

Wait, it doesn't have a drain plug?

Then in that case, get an aftermarket pan that has one, making future ATF changes much easier
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: troutfisher
make sure you follow the torque pattern when tightening the pan back on,If you don’t it may seat uneven and leak. Good luck

Wait, it doesn't have a drain plug?

Then in that case, get an aftermarket pan that has one, making future ATF changes much easier
smile.gif

If you've done a pan drop or two, it's no big deal. Some cars are worse than others, but on this vehicle it's a small pan that you can very easily put an oil change pan underneath and catch all the fluid. Not worth adding a drain plug, plus I prefer to replace the $10 filter at each fluid change. Most vehicles with a drain plug I've come across, don't have a user-serviceable filter. thus a drain plug would certainly be preferred where you can only replace fluid.

Orielys house brand atf+4 is 25 bucks a gallon. That's what I'm running in my dodge.

In all my mopar trans, run either amsoil or redline c+, better than all the other LCD ATF+4

I ended up going with Supertech ATF+4.. It was less than $5 a quart, while all others in the retail space were $6 and above. I like that ATF+4 has to be licensed and made to a certain x-y-z formula. I'm normally one to pick quality over price, but I don't feel bad about choosing the WM brand. The case of Wolf's Head (Amolie) Universal Synthetic I have will be there when my Honda needs it.

The filter was easy to change, a lot like a GM Hydramatic, but the pan on the Chrysler is a smaller dimension and easier to manage. The engine cradle blocks two pan bolts, which required lifting the engine a bit (didn't have to loosen mounts) and removing drivers side wheel, otherwise it was a breeze. Got roughly 5.5 quarts replaced just doing a pan drop & filter replacement. I'll do it again in 10k or so, trying to get more used fluid out. The old stuff was a dark grey-purple, nothing like the bright red oil that replaced it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back