Snapper LT3000 Hydro Tranny Overheated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was pulling my trailer with branches which probably weigh in around 500 lbs. I read that it can pull around 700 but I do have a hill and now wish I had not tried going up the hill. I could smell the oil and burning a little bit. I immediately dropped the trailer but did continue mowing. Mower was going up the hill slower than normal leading me to believe I may have damaged the transmission. I did change the fluid last year and put in Mobil 1 15W50. Would the fluid be destroyed and need changed or any thoughts to make it work right again.
Thanks

Maybe you smoked the drive belt?

If it's the trans, uh oh. Try it when the trans fluid is cold, if it degrades/slows after 10 to 20 minutes, then my guess is you fried the trans.

Did the trans case feel hot? If not and the fins are clear and the fan works, I wouldn't worry about it. Just use it as intended.

Even though the tranny "may" be rated for 700#, I'd say that's a bit of advertising liberty. I didn't look up which tranny is in it, but I'm sure it's not rated for a lot of uphill, heavy load use. That's certainly not to say it won't do some limited duty in that respect, but it sure isn't good to do it for long heavy sessions. In other words, that 700# rating is for short duration use and not constant use.
When you smell anything on your tractor getting hot, you should stop right there. Check the fans, oil, debris, etc. Then let it rest and cool down. Trannies can usually survive a bit of overheating, but not a bunch.
I agree with the above, change the oil now and hope. It's good news that it still moves, but when it got sluggish, that's when you're crossing the line into dangerous use. That's usually a very good signal to stop.
Hopefully, it survives to mow another day, good luck with it.

Thanks for the advice.
This mower has the Tuff Torq K57 transmission if this helps any.
Fluid was 10W30 but later upgraded to 15w50 so I used the mobil 1. Hoping it can take the heat.
Very difficult to suck it out with small vacuum line in top vent hole and even harder to gravity feed it back in through the same hole. Eventually I started blowing into hose to speed it up some. It's not really meant to be serviced I am pretty sure.

Pray first
grin.gif
And then check belt and change the fluid and make sure fluid level is full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back