I messed up, big time, trying to flush tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
decided flushing my trans fluid on my vic would be easiest done by disconnecting the bottom trans cooler line where it goes into the tranny cooler which is part of the ac condensor (more on that later)

well that all went fine, did a half gallon at a time using an empty clear jug of washer fluid.

but i'm an idiot and cross-threaded the fitting into the ac condensor. whoever thought that was a good idea isn't very smart because if it was part of the radiator, well, radiators are easy to replace.

to get home i chopped off the ends of the hard line and put in a hayden trans cooler. it sucked so this morning i used fuel line fittings to go back to the factory cooler/condenser unit.

problem is it leaks a bit. not much but just a tiny bit. i think i need a fatter o-ring where the end of the fitting pushes against the inside of the condensor.

anyway, just wondering what i should do to resolve this. i should have taken 5 mins extra to be patient and thread the thing nice in the first place instead of making this mistake and ruining an expensive and expensive to replace part like the ac condenser and tranny lines too. ugh
smirk.gif

but here's all the tranny fluid i put through it...

7WCiEGB.png

Originally Posted By: JC1
Is that 20 quarts of fluid?

What vehicle is this on?

the crown vic. i turned it on for just long enough to pump out half a gallon, pouring in two quarts, and repeated. ran through the [censored] unlicensed valvoline mercon v first, then i used the castrol mercon v i had floating around, and finished up with the expensive royal purple.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Wow everything but the kitchen sink went in that transmission

seriously? it doesn't matter all of them are mercon v compliant...

Originally Posted By: dogememe

Including the Valvoline for which you used a censored word?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Including the Valvoline for which you used a censored word?

while i would have preferred to stick with legit licensed fluid it's what we sell at my work so it was cheap, and i doubt there is much of it left in there, since i used it up first.

while i would have preferred to stick with legit licensed fluid it's what we sell at my work so it was cheap, and i doubt there is much of it left in there, since i used it up first.

If you wanted to end up with "legit licensed fluid" in the transmission you should have stopped with the Castrol. You do know the Royal Purple isn't licensed, right?

If you wanted to end up with "legit licensed fluid" in the transmission you should have stopped with the Castrol. You do know the Royal Purple isn't licensed, right?

huh, i didn't even think of that. oh well
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Bring it to a shop to have properly repaired.

hmm, ok, what exactly are they gonna do?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Bring it to a shop to have properly repaired.

hmm, ok, what exactly are they gonna do?

Stop the leak and warranty their work

You wasted a ton of fluid, that's all I have to say.

At least Powerbait was not mentioned in this thread.

I don't know what his capacity is, but when I did the fluid exchange on my 4L80E on the truck it is a 15 quart transmission. It took just at 22 quarts total to get it clean. Which in on a par for the 4L80E. You are going to use more than what the transmission holds to do a complete fluid exchange. 176 bucks in fluid and 30 for the filter. Still cheaper than anyone around here for a fluid exchange and filter change out.

Can the fitting in the tank be removed? I know on some of my GM stuff you can remove the fitting from the tank. Put a new fitting in and the screw the hose into the new fitting. Sort of like this. I have removed and reinstalled them before, just put some sort of sealant on the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back