Replacing trans oil seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing a lot of work on my 2009 Accord. Once repair is replacing the passenger side trans/diff seal with a new Honda OE seal.

How far in should this seal go? Until it bottoms out? Or until the outer part (pointed to by the red arrow) is flush with the trans/diff case?

ujh29uA.png

When you pull the old one, check to see if there's a lip to stop it from going in any further, if so, generally you run it in until you hit that lip.

Yes, there is an internal lip machined into the case.

If its got a lot of miles and the shaft has wear marks, you could try going a little shallow so the lip rides on a virgin part of the shaft.

Sometimes new seals leak just like the old and its because of shaft wear causing a por fit or bearing wear causing more runout than the seal can handle. I experienced this on my trans am.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
If its got a lot of miles and the shaft has wear marks, you could try going a little shallow so the lip rides on a virgin part of the shaft.

Sometimes new seals leak just like the old and its because of shaft wear causing a por fit or bearing wear causing more runout than the seal can handle. I experienced this on my trans am.

I would not do this until it actually leaks being installed properly, bad advice.

Make sure the seal sits square with respect to the bore and shaft. If not, it'll be a leaker. Make sure it's bottomed out all the way around.

on my honda's, when i've replaced them, i tap them in with a flat seal/bearing press (from harbor freight) until they are flush with the outer edge.... as long as they are square/flat, they won't leak----so be sure that while you're tapping that it is going in evenly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back