Towing without 85w140?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Cherokee. It did not come with the tow package but I am installing a hitch. I won't tow more than about 2,000lbs with it. The manual says for towing you need a transmission cooler, which I'm installing also, and 85w140 gear oil in the rear. I've got some pretty fresh synthetic 90w in there, I'd really rather not change it. Plus towing will be very occasional, I don't want the thicker stuff in there when I'm not towing.

Is it that big of deal to try and tow with the 90w? I'd be at less than half the standard weight limit.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
I have a 1998 Cherokee. It did not come with the tow package but I am installing a hitch. I won't tow more than about 2,000lbs with it. The manual says for towing you need a transmission cooler, which I'm installing also, and 85w140 gear oil in the rear. I've got some pretty fresh synthetic 90w in there, I'd really rather not change it. Plus towing will be very occasional, I don't want the thicker stuff in there when I'm not towing.

Is it that big of deal to try and tow with the 90w? I'd be at less than half the standard weight limit.

For 2000#? As long as you don’t drag race (normal acceleration) that will be fine … once you are at 60 mph the load will not be severe unless what you are pulling has a large cross sectional area catching a head wind … hills etc …
The trans cooler is always a good idea … and might be an easy opportunity to add an external filter …
(That and a drain plug is pure joy compared to the red oil bath I used to take)

I wouldn't worry, do you know how many vehicles/trucks there are on the road that spend their entire lives towing work trailers with not 1 thought given to the original diff oil and 200,000+ miles?? These same trucks get retired for reasons that have nothing to do with the rear diff.

Seriously rest easy, stress over something else.

I had a 1995 GC without towing and the 4.0 engine. I towed 3,000 lbs frequently without adding a cooler or changing from the factory gear oil. Never a problem and vehicle sold to neibhbor at ~ 126,000 miles running great. Ed

Originally Posted By: 4WD
The trans cooler is always a good idea … and might be an easy opportunity to add an external filter …

I love the drain plug, though I'm trying to install a ball valve with the trans cooler so I can easily pump out ~2 quarts of fluid and refill on a regular basis, without even getting underneath. I can't find a Fumoto valve to fit the trans pan.
grin.gif
I wanted to install a spin on filter, and I have a mount just sitting around, but there really isn't a good place to put it, at least not without a ton of plumbing.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Originally Posted By: 4WD

I love the drain plug, though I'm trying to install a ball valve with the trans cooler so I can easily pump out ~2 quarts of fluid and refill on a regular basis, without even getting underneath. I can't find a Fumoto valve to fit the trans pan.
grin.gif
I wanted to install a spin on filter, and I have a mount just sitting around, but there really isn't a good place to put it, at least not without a ton of plumbing.

Too bad you don’t have space … my Derale filter base has two inlets and two outlets (I have 1/each plugged) … but the spare port can take a valve, temp sensor, or pressure sensor if one desired …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back