Darn dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Break your heart.

Yesterday we said goodbye to Harley, a happy goofy dog we've had for 13 years. She's been declining from old age for the past year with arthritis in her hips but 2 weeks ago she suddenly developed a limp in a front leg and in another day or so a lump developed. She's had some other lumps here and there that the vet said were fatty masses that dogs get. It got worse so we took her to the vet Friday and it was diagnosed as some type of cancer. He wanted to do x-rays and tests and we could consider treatment. Uh, no, she's 14 and has had a great life and we're not putting her through that for a few more months. He gave us some stronger pain med and we brought her home and spent the evening just sitting with her. Saturday morning we took her back and let her go. Man what a tough deal. Our son gave her to us a week after we moved here from Pa. in 2005, we lost him in 2014 so this one hurt more that losing other dogs I think. She was a shelter dog and she had her quirks but she loved everyone like a new best friend.

RIP old girl.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

My condolence on your loss. We also put one of our dogs down Friday. Toby was my wife's dog from day 1. They sure leave a big void when they are gone. I am sorry you lost your son, that pain is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear
frown.gif

You did the right thing. It is tough with pets but it is your responsibility to take care of them when they need you most.
Peace to you and your family.

Your pain is certainly understandable losing a beloved member of your family. Even more so after losing your son who presented Harley as a gift. They do tear at our Heart when it's time to say good-bye and let go.

She had a good life. Healing will come with time...

I feel for your loss. I lost my best friend, Toby a few months ago. I have reached under my desk to pet her a couple of times since then when I'm working late at night.

My wife and I went to a shelter a couple of months ago and adopted a border collie puppy. He gets into trouble every time he turns around. He was 2 months old and skinny as a rail, 12 pounds. He's now 5 months old and weighs 39 pounds. He's growing like a weed and he's just happy to be a puppy. He's good medicine for us old folks and helps to bridge the gap back to Toby.

They're not just pets, they're family. Their whole life and existence depend on you. So sorry for your loss. I've had to put down 2 of our little people, cried like a baby both times and not ashamed to admit it.

I told my wife that when SweetPea passes on I'm done. I don't think I could stand putting another family member to sleep.
We'll see.........

Very, very well stated OneEyejack.

Getting another dog when ready is a great way to heal. I'm very glad you all did get another dog. Has to have helped a lot.

Sorry for your loss.
It's always a tough choice, but is a great example of a person that loves their pets as family.
I like to believe that's why there are so many dogs.
You lose a special one, and another one can become just as special in a slightly different way.
Coming up on 7-17-17 when our family let Callie go.
We now have Brinkley, the miniature Goldendoodle. Goofy as heck, and we love her, and still talk about Callie almost daily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back