Paint impurities on a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Dodge paint problems, there a ton of complaints and it appears it's generally accepted that recent model year Dodge cars have [censored] paint. Mostly things under the paint or stripes in the paint (uneven).

Originally Posted By: Danno
I'd be prepared to put up with some imperfections vs have dealer touch the factory finish

+1.

Id not have accepted it if there was something obvious. Of course that's easier said than done.

I wouldnt want anything that appears below the surface to try to be remediated. All you can possibly do is remove OE factory baked-on clear. Not a good move, IMO.

Ill add though, that this is not atypical.

I spent lots of time shining up my 98 Chevy S-10, and some folks' first response was "look at all that orange peel" (I thought it looked pretty good). When our odyssey was hit the first time, the independent shop we took it to pointed out the color mismatch of the bumper cover. I was quite surprised that the coloration was so far off. Now I notice it on most any car.

That was a unique set of repairs as the new tailgate and bumper cover could be properly painted and baked off the vehicle. Depending upon where your imperfections are, that may be viable, but I wouldnt necessarily push my luck...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Try Iron-X and then clay the vehicle.
Reading some Charger forums, it appears that what I am seeing is not unusual for Dodge. Looks like people were able to get rid of it using things like Iron-X or Optimum Ferrex. I guess I'm going to have to give it a try.

Thanks, everyone.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Reading some Charger forums, it appears that what I am seeing is not unusual for Dodge. Looks like people were able to get rid of it using things like Iron-X or Optimum Ferrex. I guess I'm going to have to give it a try.

Thanks, everyone.

If those items remove it, it's probably just rail dust. Just because it arrived on a truck doesn't mean it wasn't on a rail car at some point in transit.

Rail dust from sitting in the freight yard after production.

Claybar and a full detail should take care of it.

Edit - just saw the pics. Looks like someone let that slide past QC.

In the factory, they buff imperfections like this out before shipment. Somebody missed that one.

Last edited:

Thanks, everyone.

Let me know if you need some Iron-X.

This sucks, hope the Iron-X thing works out, this is a bit of egg on the face of the Brampton plant, that's for sure!

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Google Dodge paint problems, there a ton of complaints and it appears it's generally accepted that recent model year Dodge cars have [censored] paint. Mostly things under the paint or stripes in the paint (uneven).

google any make and brand or visit any detailing forum and find out about paint problems on just about any car

Fyi, I finally had a chance to let my trusted auto body and detail shop look at it. The say it's not rail dust but dirt nibs embedded in clear coat. They say they see it on new chrysler/dodge cars a lot. Their recommended fix is to wet sand and then buff out.

Should I still try something like FerreX first?

BTW, I found another spot - this one looks like a piece of hair or thread stuck below the paint. You can feel the bulge as you run your finger through the paint. Not sure FerreX is going to do anything for this one. Ugh...

41691153750_b4c56d90e3_o.jpg

Do you allow your wife to drive this car? How about teenage son or daughter if you have them? How about your young nephew or niece? Please let them borrow the car for few days. After you get your first ding, you will no longer have this on your mind.

You think I am kidding but I am dead serious and providing real solution for your OCD here.

You need to enjoy the car and not let this small things bother you. In the end, no body shop will be able to get it pristine. Even if they did, trust me on this 100%; in a decade, it will be blatantly obvious which panel was repainted. EVERY SINGLE ACCIDENT REPAIR DONE ON DIFFERENT CARS AT DIFFERENT BODY SHOPS that I had over 30 years developed paint problems WITHOUT FAIL after few years regardless how flawless it might have looked when it was done.

YOU HAVE TO LET GO and NOT LOOK for flaws. I am afraid that is what you are doing.

If you want, you can tell yourself that "I wish I had stayed with European makes rather than giving Chrysler a try" if that will make you get over this but you are way smarter than that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
YOU HAVE TO LET GO and NOT LOOK for flaws. I am afraid that is what you are doing.
You have a valid point, for sure. That is why I initially asked if what I am seeing is acceptable or not. On the other hand, if there are flaws, I want to know about them NOW so that I can decide whether to do something about them or not. Once too much time has passed, and then I find a flaw, my options may be more limited.

I would really prefer to not have anyone mess with my paint by wet sanding it, just as long as what I am seeing is not going to turn into some nasty paint issue a few years down the road once I am no longer under warranty. Right now I have the best chance of getting warranty to cover any kind of paint corrections since the car is still new. From what I understand, these kinds of corrections are done either before the car leaves the factory, or at the dealer before it is delivered to the customer. So what I am dealing with here is just prep/cleanup work that someone forgot to do. We are not talking about repainting, but I am concerned about some clear coat being removed during the process of wet sanding.

If they're dust nibs in the clear, a GOOD paint shop should be able to take them off with a razor, then wet sand and buff to new.

I'd find a GOOD body shop and trust their discretion.

If they're dust nibs in the clear,
Should I give FerreX or IronX a try first, or is it pointless?

It couldn't hurt!

I wonder, are they painting those Dodge cars out back in the parking lot? In so many ways this reminds me of the 70’s-80’s. The Big 3 back then didn’t care, they just pushed out junk.

If this really bugs you Quattro, the detailer would be the best option. But as time goes by with parking dings and scrapes, it may not matter much.

Have you discussed this with Dodge? Maybe you can get some credit towards a detail job?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Have you discussed this with Dodge? Maybe you can get some credit towards a detail job?
My trusted body shop / detailer sent the estimate to my Dodge dealer, and the dealer submitted the warranty paperwork and pictures to FCA for approval. If approved, my body shop would do the work. They see and fix these kinds of issues all the time.

I don't see what it would do for contaminants below the paint level. These things work on above paint contaminants like rail dust or other bonded contaminants. These are like clay bars without the clay (they work through chemicals instead of mechanical shearing/abrasion). If you can't clay these off, neither of these are going to help and they're just going to waste your money.

Your problem isn't going to be fixed by anything short of going below paint level meaning sanding or repainting. Neither of those are worth it. Leaving those blemishes there are a better option than anything that involves sanding or painting. You only resort to those when what you're fixing is significantly worse than how you're going to fix it (like sanding or painting). For example if someone keyed your car then sanding and painting are acceptable options.

Little particles under the paint? Not so much.

To recap:
1. Those blemishes came from the factory, they're not rail dust or anything stuck to the paint.
2. They won't be removed without invasive measures.
3. Those invasive measures aren't worth it.

Your only practical option is to live with it, it's [censored] Chrysler paint job as usual. I know it sucks and it nags you, believe me I've had worse on cars I've bought and at first I couldn't stop thinking about it and being annoyed but over time it goes away. It's not unreasonable to ask about it though and weigh your options (which is what you did).

I bought a car recently that has parts of pinstriping permanently in the paint, about half the length of the car. I'd trade my problem for yours. At least these particles are small and spread out.

I thought this over and suddenly realized that you might not be like me who keeps a car for decades. If you usually trade in within 5 years, then absolutely go for getting it fixed *without any cost to you* even if it involves repainting. You don't have to worry about how it will look in 6th year

I do tend to keep my cars for a while, unless they begin to annoy me in a big way. For example, the 530i has been with me for 12 years now.

I am starting to lean toward just letting these spots be.

Thanks for chiming in, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back