Decent MP3 player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone still use these? My RCA just died unexpectedly, and the reviews on some of the less expensive models make me wish it hadn't died.

Any recommendations out there? Would like decent sound, and no skip between songs that are connected..

Originally Posted By: Ed_T
Does anyone still use these? My RCA just died unexpectedly, and the reviews on some of the less expensive models make me wish it hadn't died.

Any recommendations out there? Would like decent sound, and no skip between songs that are connected..

What's your budget?

On the lower end, Sandisk Sansa Clip Plus is a good choice. It is known for pretty good sound quality at this price point. It's a discontinued model, but sometimes you can find a refurbished one on ebay for cheap.

It's even better when you install Rockbox on it.

A quick Amazon search reveals Sandisk still makes them, that would be my choice.

They still make sense for running, yard work or other activities where a phone is too bulky or has a high potential to be damaged.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
They still make sense for running, yard work or other activities where a phone is too bulky or has a high potential to be damaged.

I addition to the above situations, I still prefer a dedicated audio player instead of using my phone because:
1. I don't eat up my phone's battery life while listening to music
2. I get better sound quality and more powerful amp
3. My audio player supports additional audio formats
4. I don't have to worry about taking up storage space on my phone with some large lossless audio files.

I use an old smart phone as a dedicated mp3/wav player. Works great and they are plentiful and extremely affordable...usually free.

When you unburden a smart phone of it's wifi, it's Sim card and turn on airplane mode, drop in a 32G+ memory card and voila. The battery lasts a long long time and if you drop in a new battery or an extended life battery and you have days and days of playtime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I use an old smart phone as a dedicated mp3/wav player. Works great and they are plentiful and extremely affordable...usually free.

When you unburden a smart phone of it's wifi, it's Sim card and turn on airplane mode, drop in a 32G+ memory card and voila. The battery lasts a long long time and if you drop in a new battery or an extended life battery and you have days and days of playtime.

This is exactly what I do.

I have two sandisk sansas that i bought a couple of years ago for working out and also to listen to music in my RZR. The interface is horrible compared to my 4 year old iphone that i have dedicated to my music. I think i have 400 songs on my iphone.

Just buy an older iphone from a pawnshop/craigs/fb and turn off wifi/turn on airplane mode/ go to EQ and turn on Nighttime.. that is a hidden booster that is much louder than any mp3 player.

Get itunes and just drag and drop all songs you have into the music.

I get about a full week out of a full charge using it about 15 hours a week with workouts and car/riding.

If you must use a current phone and dont want to deal with itunes and a second phone, i have a few buddies that use spotify and literally have thousands of songs in their playlist not stored on their phones.

If you have to MP3 and suffer with lossy sound, Sandisk Sansa.
krismoriah solution is better.
FiiO X1 would be a good start for a HD FLAC player.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

This is exactly what I do.

I have two sandisk sansas that i bought a couple of years ago for working out and also to listen to music in my RZR. The interface is horrible compared to my 4 year old iphone that i have dedicated to my music. I think i have 400 songs on my iphone.

Just buy an older iphone from a pawnshop/craigs/fb and turn off wifi/turn on airplane mode/ go to EQ and turn on Nighttime.. that is a hidden booster that is much louder than any mp3 player.

Get itunes and just drag and drop all songs you have into the music.

I get about a full week out of a full charge using it about 15 hours a week with workouts and car/riding.

If you must use a current phone and dont want to deal with itunes and a second phone, i have a few buddies that use spotify and literally have thousands of songs in their playlist not stored on their phones.

I use an ipod touch which is basically an iphone without the phone. They were about $30 on Craigslist a few years back. Just depends what generation you get. I just put spotify on it and sync with wifi.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: dishdude

I addition to the above situations, I still prefer a dedicated audio player instead of using my phone because:
1. I don't eat up my phone's battery life while listening to music
2. I get better sound quality and more powerful amp
3. My audio player supports additional audio formats
4. I don't have to worry about taking up storage space on my phone with some large lossless audio files.

^^AGREE^^

Sadly, the goal of achieving state of the art sound is a thing of the past for the majority, actually not even sure it was a goal of the majority but suffice it to say there just arent enough of us to create a large enough market for high fidelity equipment that is readily stocked and reasonably priced. Most are happy with the sound they get and granted its way better then it used to be but ... ugh ... Im sounding old. *L*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back