Two versions of M1 5w30 ESP now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
This could get quite confusing, as I now noticed that Mobil 1 has a second version of ESP 5w30 out. The original one (which I'm using in my Corvette) is called ESP Formula 5w30, while the new one is just called ESP 5w30. Not sure why they felt the need to add this second version. The original ESP Formula 5w30 looks to have the better specs and has more builder approvals for it too.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

Formula has more approvals, yes -- but look at the tough ones. The new one has MB 229.52, which is a slightly tougher spec than 229.51. And it retains VW 504/507, unlike a lot of 229.52 oils. Not bad.

Looks like there's two types, one meets MB 229.51 and the other MB 229.52. Both of those are considered diesel specs. They spec a different weight for gas cars that meet 229.5.

5W-30 ESP has 0.8% sulfated ash and ESP Formula has 0.6%.
5W-30 ESP meets MB 229.52 and 5W-30 ESP Formula meets MB 229.51, which is a bit less stringent.
5W-30 ESP has a very high VI of 187, yet has a high ratio of HTHS to Dynamic Viscosity at 100C, indicating temporary shear is low.
0W-30 ESP XI also looks like an excellent oil. It has 0.8% sulfated ash and meets MB 229.52.

Originally Posted By: JAG
5W-30 ESP has 0.8% sulfated ash and ESP Formula has 0.6%.
5W-30 ESP meets MB 229.52 and 5W-30 ESP Formula meets MB 229.51, which is a bit less stringent.
5W-30 ESP has a very high VI of 187, yet has a high ratio of HTHS to Dynamic Viscosity at 100C, indicating temporary shear is low.
0W-30 ESP XI also looks like an excellent oil. It has 0.8% sulfated ash and meets MB 229.52.

This particular version (the very low NOACK) is made in France … you may have seen edyvw mentioned it being Visom based … IIRC, XOM’s Visom comes from France or the UK …
Pretty expensive by the time it reaches the USA or ?

The Formula version has Porsche C30.. which According to the Lubrizol spider spec sheet is the toughest specification to meet for any 30 viscosity oil. That is quite impressive.

I like the Formula version if I had to pick. Lower VI.

229.52 is mainly just a more stringent fuel economy requirement on top of 229.51, which they are probably achieving by having more VII (temporary shear).

Originally Posted By: bbhero
The Formula version has Porsche C30.. which According to the Lubrizol spider spec sheet is the toughest specification to meet for any 30 viscosity oil. That is quite impressive.

Lubrizol says that chart isn't really good for comparing across manufacturers. It works for comparing C30 against another Porsche spec, but it might give misleading results if you try to compare, say, Porsche C30 against VW 504/507.

Originally Posted By: nap
Forget 5W30, there’s a new deal:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018/01/29/2019-corvettes-now-factory-filled-mobil-1-0w-40-motor-oil/

The introduction of that oil is what let to me using the ESP Formula 5w30 actually. This new 0w40 is not available for retail sale yet, so it got me researching other alternatives in the meantime and then the 5w30 version caught my eye and on paper it has more impressive specs (higher HTHS, lower sulphated ash, higher flashpoint) and I can find it in a lot of places here too. It's still possible that I might switch to the 0w40 in the future though, especially if they end up selling it in 5 quart jugs because that'll drop the price considerably compared to what I have to pay for the ESP Formula 5w30 ($16.79 CDN per liter, compared to the possibility of $22 US per 5 quart jug)

So the stuff I use is the old formulation, with made in France printed on the bottle. The local Mobil 1 distributor exclusively imports all Mobil 1 products from the EU with no American products in the lineup. Looking at the bottle pictured in the link by the OP, is the new version made in the U.S.? I'm just wondering if the new stuff hitting the shelves will be from the U.S. at my end.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
the M1 5w-30 esp is now gtl based

What is the ESP Formula 5w30s base?

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
the M1 5w-30 esp is now gtl based

Did the Angarsk GTL plant become fully operational?

Originally Posted By: bbhero

I'm seeing both 5w-30 oils showing C30. Don't you?

Whonder which has lower NOACK?

I'd like to see the NOACK of the ESP oils.

One thing I noticed within the ESP oil line is the wording in the product data sheets all say "fully synthetic engine oil designed to help provide exceptional cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance."

I wonder if the base oils in the ESP line contain more esters and are better at removing depsoits/sludge than the regular Mobil 1 oils, which JAG's testing showed were not that good at cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back