Trying to fix chainsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I don't know why ethanol gets blamed for everything.

Google phase separation for gasoline and you'll be educated. That's how I learned.

It's a serious problem. I've personally experienced it with my OPE. I now only use pure gas.

Just to add to the immense wisdom already shared here... learned in small engine class numerous decades ago: The diagnostics for most engines centers around the need for spark, fuel/air, compression, and timing. Start with the easy things and work your way to the more difficult if so inclined.

I have had fuel saturated air filters prevent running. A clogged muffler can prevent running (spark arrester screens carboned up). A loose carb or jug mount allowing extra air into the system is not uncommon on cheap saws. A new spark plug is a no-brainer.

Cedarshark is correct about not using starter fluid. It might damage the cylinder or bearings because of no lube. Just dribble some 2 cycle mix into the spark plug hole.

I learned my chainsaw skills back when Homelite and McCullough were considered top of the line (I'm (getting) old), but falling behind the advancements of Stihl, Jonsered, and Husky.

EDIT: regarding ethanol fuel, I have NOT experienced the problems others mention. I can't figure out why. I DO use stabilized 2 cycle mix,expensive steel gas cans, and rotate fuel at least every 3 months.

uhmn If you read the label on a can of starting fluid, you will find that it does have oil in it. Most carb cleaners too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
uhmn If you read the label on a can of starting fluid, you will find that it does have oil in it. Most carb cleaners too.
grin2.gif

For use on a 2 cycle engines it is a very controversial topic. Some "claim" that there is not enough lube to counter the washing effect of the solvents. It's all anecdotal, so follow your heart. My workplace equipment is too expensive and I choose not to take the risk.

I got it going. I just followed the starting instructions and pulled on it a while. It eventually came to life. I never follow instructions because I think I'm smarter.

Since it was chain saw day I got out an old echo 302s I bought for 50 cents at a neighborhood yard sale 15 years ago. It started too after a number of fast pulls. It had 15 year old gas too smoking like crazy.

I drained the gas from both, put fresh in and ran them both for about 30 minutes to get them good and hot. They both idled for a long time without loading up and dieing. Nice.

2 takeaways from this. Follow instructions and pull the rope with some fierceness. Small engines do not respond to starting fluid ether.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Last edited:
I mostly use carb spray to blow out passages like I did this afternoon. After I proved the ignition by getting it to run for a second. Have carb off at present with the float out. Good ol' USA made '88 Lawn Boy. Hasn't run in 7 yrs. I probably should pull the only metering needle I can see and give that a blast too. Had time catch up to my 322l and the Mantis ,again! this yr already.

If it won't fire with a drop of gas in the cylinder through the spark plug hole, it's likely the ignition.

Try a new plug first. Does it have points & condenser? If so and the points look good, clean & gap them and replace the condenser. You should get a crisp blue spark providing all other electrical components are working correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back