Filter for Hydro Gear ZT2800 - Toyota???

Hello, I just bought a Yazoo Kees zero turn. It has Hydro Gear ZT2800 pumps. I am getting ready to change the fluid in the pumps. I read in the owners manual and on Hydro Gear's website to use 20W50 motor oil in the pumps. My question has to do with the spin on filters on the ZT2800 pumps. Hydro Gear has filters for their pumps that are the exact same size as the Toyota filters that I use on my car. Since I'm using motor oil in my pumps and the Toyota oil filter screws right on, do you think there would be a problem using the Toyota oil filters on my Hydro Gear pumps instead of the Hydro Gear filters? I mean an oil filter is an oil filter, right?

I never thought about that. I had a ZTR years back that had HydroGear ZT2800s on it, but I didn't own it long enough to change filters. I know at the time, aftermarket filters were available online pretty reasonably. Stens brand and others.

Make sure you can get the refill plugs and drain plugs loose before hand. I recall trying mine and those refill plugs were so tight I didn't think I'd get them loose. I got them out, never seized them and put them back in.

Here is a pic showing two WIX filters. The 51394XP filter on the left is the WIX equivalent to the Toyota filter that I use. The WL10102 on the right is the WIX equivalent to the Hydro Gear HG52114 filter. The only differences between the two listed in the charts is that the filter material in the car filter is listed as synthetic and the trans filter is enhanced cellulose. Also the car filter has a by pass valve and the trans filter does not. Why would this not work?

Thanks for the reply JTK. I buy the OEM Toyota filters by the case. My cost is $4 each. I've used the Toyota filters for years on my vehicle and on my motorcycle(a 2009 Buell XB9SX). The filter works great on both. I'm trying to get an understanding why it will or will not work on my zero turn.

There is no reason why it won't work on those pumps.
Oil is oil and since you are using motor oil for the
re-fill, there is no reason not to use your filters.

My 2¢

Years ago when I was servicing a forklift I changed the trans oil filter and the one we have [PH8 type} screwed it on and was the same size and the line pressure couldn't be that much. Well I had a call back because the filter burst. Check
how strong the filter [burst pressure}has to be for the hydro unit.

Thanks CT8. I think you've nailed the one aspect that I was missing...pressure. This will definitely lead me to by an OEM Hydro Gear filter. Much appreciated.

One other thing.... if you have a dirty hydraulic system, there's no way in Hades I'd run a filter with a true bypass valve, to let that junk recirculate through the pump. If you look at Wix 51365, which is spec'd for Subaru 4EATs, it has a small, wire-mesh filter in it instead of a true bypass valve. If the filter element itself becomes plugged, there will still be minimal flow through the screen which will stop particles from destroying anything else. It's probably a 50-micron mesh (guess, of course) but it's only purpose is to keep fluid flowing through the trans and chunks out of the trans... that's what I'd be cross referencing.

I personally will not run a filter with a bypass on my hydro gear unit. I can replace the motor cheaper than 1 unit. My manual calls for 400 hour filter changes. Cheap insurance.

Last time I checked the filters for hydro gear are 10 micron, so you can't just slap an oil filter on it and call it good. This is like when chrysler put a 10 micron fuel filter on the bosch HPCR cummins injection pump and wondered why the injectors didn't last because bosch specified 4 micron minimum.

Stick with the OEM filter. I'm sure you noticed the API ratings for the 20w-50 oils. IDK but it seems like you need and old school 20w-50. Just check it out. I don't know. I'd call them for clarification but I am anal retentive.

I assume the hydro filters do not have a bypass valve for a reason. I am guessing, higher operating pressure, so an automotive filter would be
in constant bypass mode, not filtering at all.

Forgive my ignorance, I am puzzled by the designations of "10 micron filter" or "4 micron filter" and such. What does it mean? I understand a micron rating, when given combined with the filtration efficiency percentage. When you guys talk about this,
is some filtration efficiency percentage implied at that particle size? To me, a micron rating by itself does not mean much.

There are 2 ratings that imply the %: The nominal micron rating ( 50%) and the absolute micron rating ( 98.7%)
Maybe it is one of those?

Last edited:
Back