2003 Honda power steering problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My granddaughter is in her first car that I helped her buy. She can't keep the power steering fluid in it. I did a search on youtube and found there is a defective o-ring in the return line and it lets the pump suck air, making the fluid foam up and overflow the reservoir. That was a simple fix, but it only lasted a few days and it's back to doing it again. Does anyone have any experience with this particular problem?
Thanks!

The o-ring should should have been on the inlet joint. It's the joint facing the front of the car with the big hose that runs to the front of the car near the reservoir itself (and in front of the belt).

If you did change the correct one out, are you sure it's not just residual air bleeding out? The fluid level will continue to drop as the air bleeds out. Have you done a good lock-to-lock bleeding yourself? Even though my experience is that even with lock-to-lock you'll still have a day or two where the air bleeds out and the reservoir overflows.

Did you use the revised part number and an OEM o-ring? Because if you just went with any aftermarket o-ring you're probably not going to fix the problem, especially if they're going off of the measurements of the superceded part.

If it's not just residual air, you'll need to find out where the fluid loss is occurring. There was also a recall for a power steering hose itself on these, but I assume it was already done otherwise you'd be having a fire under the hood.

Is OE/Honda type PSF being used?

Sounds like a repair is in order but incorrect fluids may be the cause here...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1

Hondas require fancy special fluid. If you're just putting power steering fluid in there, that's not good...

Sorry to ask, but are you sure this is where it is leaking?
There are not too many places for it to leak...
If you replaced the o-ring then I would suspect something like the pressure hose or the rack.
Good luck.

O'Reilly has a house brand of ps fluid for Honda's. I have used that on several cars along with the Honda factory fluid.

My mother had a 2003 Accord v6. There was a recall on the power steering line if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1

Hondas require fancy special fluid. If you're just putting power steering fluid in there, that's not good...

you can use aftermarket fluid, just get the honda/acura spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back