Paint impurities on a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am noticing some tiny specs... looks like grains of sand embedded below the paint in a few places. They are tiny, but visible when looking from up close and can certainly be felt when you run your finger through it. I've found a handful of them so far, but haven't gone through the entire car with a fine tooth comb. There may be more.

Anyway, are these kinds of impurities acceptable in new car paint? Are they going to turn into rust spots over time? I've never seen them in any other car I owned. Most people would probably not notice, but I obviously have higher standards.
smile.gif

Rail dust?

You can take it back to the dealer but their “detailer” may make it worse with swirls and such. Is this the SRT we are talking about?

In all likelihood it needs a clay bar treatment and a iron remover treatment if it’s rail dust. Looking at your location, I would be guessing as to how the car was transported prior to your purchase.

These specs are definitely sitting below the paint. Not something claybar can touch.

Quote:
Looking at your location, I would be guessing as to how the car was transported prior to your purchase.
It came in on a truck.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Take it back to the dealer and make them fix it.
I think that would entail repainting the whole car.

Try Iron-X and then clay the vehicle. If you can feel them, it is very likely it is above the paint even if it looks like it is below it.

Try to post a photo. I have seen "solvent pop" on new cars before. Very rare to have trash in a new car's paint.

If you try Iron-X and you clay the vehicle and they're still there, call Coporate directly - let the dealer facilitate corporate's decision.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
These specs are definitely sitting below the paint. Not something claybar can touch.

Quote:
Looking at your location, I would be guessing as to how the car was transported prior to your purchase.
It came in on a truck.

I would take it back then. This is a warranty issue.

Originally Posted By: Danno
I'd be prepared to put up with some imperfections vs have dealer touch the factory finish
That was my initial thought, as long as they don't get worse over time.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Try to post a photo.
I think I would need microscope. The specs are maybe 0.1mm, if that. My camera gear is not up to task to illustrate what they look like in real life, unfortunately.

42270048624_fd01dbae66_o.jpg

This image does not really reflect what I am seeing.

Since I'd doubt that the SRT model gets its own dedicated paint line, this may simply be typical of the Charger breed. You could post on one of the Charger boards and ask.
If these specs are in fact embedded in the paint, there is probably no way of removing them without making things worse.
I'd also be very wary of any field repaint work so even if FCA would warranty this, that may be of little benefit and I really wouldn't want someone going over the car with compound and a buffer either.
This may simply be something you'll have to live with, as disappointing as that may be.
Had you noticed this prior to driving the car home you could have simply refused delivery.

Photo of the Milky Way?
crazy2.gif

I agree that it's hard to tell from the photo. It looks like the spot is catching light. Try a decon and see what happens.

Look at it with a good Hastings type hand lens to determine what is actually there.

I agree with others that the dealer might make it worse.

They will grow into this:

Just kidding. I would have a closer look at other cars with similar paint, on the dealer’s lot or elsewhere. If they’re all the same then I wouldn’t do anything about it.

Here are a few additional photo attempts. Unfortunately, you have to shine light at it to be visible in photo, and when you do, the light reflection makes it look weird.

28120728357_86db2c3918_o.jpg

29116726918_b2278b38df_o.jpg

The white color is a ceiling lamp reflecting in the paint.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Danno
I'd be prepared to put up with some imperfections vs have dealer touch the factory finish
That was my initial thought, as long as they don't get worse over time.

I think I would avoid the dealer for this. I would go to a trusted body shop and let them tell you what it is and what can be done to correct it. Then decide from there if you want to tackle it yourself, leave it alone, pay them to do it, or if you trust the dealership to correct it. I saw first hand with an 84 E-150 I bought new how badly a dealership can screw up fixing a paint problem. Long story short they had to buy the van back from me.

You could also get info from the trusted body shop, show the dealer and see if you can get them to get the mfg. to pay a body shop to fix it because you aren't comfortable letting the dealer handle it. I sold a few new cars that had paint issues and the customers were able to get money to pay a body shop to make it right.

Jesus, what the [censored]! Aside from the glaringly obvious defect, the paint itself looks textured. Does it even feel smooth to the touch? Looks like sandpaper compared to the smoothness of your average clearcoated paint.

FWIW I've also heard of Hellcats having paint issues too. Maybe it's just [censored] Dodge paint?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Jesus, what the [censored]! Aside from the glaringly obvious defect, the paint itself looks textured. Does it even feel smooth to the touch? Looks like sandpaper compared to the smoothness of your average clearcoated paint.
You are looking at a pretty big closeup and a reflection of stuff in the paint. If I had to guess, that spec is about 0.1 mm or 0.004 in. I should have included something for scale.

Other than this spec, the paint feels silky smooth, just like what you'd expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back