Looking to replace 2005 Sienna with SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sienna has been great, bought used with 42K, now has 212K. We replaced the trans fluid at 50K with Amsoil, but may have gone too long on the Amsoil, and changed to Maxlife at 205K.

The trans shifts .....sloppy, sometimes, doesn't slip but feels loose when engaging.

We have had the van for about 9 years and I think the wife is ready for a good mid-size SUV.

Looking at a Highlander, maybe 2014-2015, but also trying to stay under 25K which proves difficult.

I would like opinions on the Explorer, Durango, CX9, maybe even the Acadia/Traverse but my gut says they are troublesome. My 02 envoy has been excellent but the Acadia just isn't likely as reliable unless I'm missing something.

Would like to stay around 15-20K but looks like I won't find anything good under 100K miles.

Why not get another minivan?

Unless your in-house family size has changed substantially, you can't beat the volume and the more usable third row.

Since the Odyssey changed body style, you may find deals on the last-gen. I thought the Sienna was supposed to update, but it seems like the same van, and given friends' issues, I cant recommend it.

Id look at the T&C as well, now that the Pacifica is out. The Pentastar V6 is a decent engine, IMO. You can definitely get a good deal on one of those.

Happy wife, happy life, right?

My vote is for Pentastar too. But SUV it isn't. I don't follow SUV's but I wonder if you might need to give more #'s here--miles/year, people to carry, mpg concerns, towing, ability to spin wrenches, etc. Pro or against DI, CVT, etc.

I'm all for the van, but yeah....the wife is after something else unless I can convince her otherwise.

I like to keep my vehicles as long as possible, I don't like to keep turning vehicles every 3 years or so. Haven't researched the T&C yet....I'll give it a look.

Test drive some. Ive rented a Dodge Journey and now a Ford Edge. Both have their ups and downs. I think it comes down to the individual preference. Gas mileage on the journey was painful, though my expectations might be a tad high for SUVs. In all hwy driving the Ford Edge with 2l turbo i got about 27mpg. Journey about 22. City driving = terrible with both. Id like me a Highlander too! Pricey indeed tho!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JLTD
Best, most reliable long lasting mid size SUV is the Toyota 4Runner.

True....but also riding on what..a ten year old (easily) chassis?

With all the downsides. The ergonomics of the 4Runner quite frankly is horrendous. It is one of the worst riding SUVs on the market as well. If your going off-road-by all means look at a 4Runner. But for trips to the mall and grocery store-there are better options.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

With all the downsides. The ergonomics of the 4Runner quite frankly is horrendous. It is one of the worst riding SUVs on the market as well. If your going off-road-by all means look at a 4Runner. But for trips to the mall and grocery store-there are better options.
Have you driven one? I've ridden in a 2016 4Runner and it was way better than what I expected. My dad also has a 2007 FJ Cruiser, similar to the 4Runner, that I've driven a lot of, and it drives great.

You can find new SUVs for 25k-30k after invoice pricing and rebates.
under 30k suv:
2018 Honda CR-V. ( Photo: Honda)
2018 Subaru Forrester. ( Photo: Subaru)
2018 Toyota RAV4. ( Photo: Toyota)
2018 Kia Sorento. ( Photo: Kia)
2018 Mazda CX-5. ( Photo: Mazda)
2018 Hyundai Santa Fe. ( Photo: Hyundai)
2018 Nissan Rogue. ( Photo: Nissan)
2018 Ford Edge. ( Photo: Ford)
2018 Volkswagon Tiguan
2018 Chevrolet Equinox

Any of the above can be had for 25k. Our rav4 xle stickered at 29K, I paid 23500. This was 2014, but the same applies now.

Search SUVs for under 35k, you get a bit nicer and bigger choices. If 35k, at invoice and rebates, you could be around 27k easily I would think.

Why buy used when one could go new for the same or just a bit more? And with usually 0 or .9% finance, you usually make out better than when paying a much higher rate on the used cars, probably over 5% easily, if not 8-9, too lazy to look it up.

Good luck

Consider the Transit Connect
smile.gif

As Nick1994 asked, have you ridden in or driven one? If not, go do so and then come on back to comment. Besides, OP is coming from a minivan....and everything he said was about reliabiity, not sports car handling.

The 4Runner is a truck, not some candyass suv built on a car chassis. Who TiF cares how old the design is, it works.

IMO you will be disappointed with a different brand, stick with a Toyota. If a Highlander is a little higher than you like, I recommend that you pony-up the difference (or give up some of the high cost extras that you may not REALLY need to get the cost down), you will be glad that you did in the long run.
After owning/driving the Sienna for so long, your wife is going to miss the sliding side doors (although she may never admit it), especially if you are using the back seats a lot. You CAN buy a nice used Sienna within your budget.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Have you driven one? I've ridden in a 2016 4Runner and it was way better than what I expected. My dad also has a 2007 FJ Cruiser, similar to the 4Runner, that I've driven a lot of, and it drives great.

Yes...my son is currently leasing one.

As Nick1994 asked, have you ridden in or driven one? If not, go do so and then come on back to comment. Besides, OP is coming from a minivan....and everything he said was about reliabiity, not sports car handling.

The 4Runner is a truck, not some candyass suv built on a car chassis. Who TiF cares how old the design is, it works.

The OP is coming from a mini van.....your are suggesting a truck frame based vehicle.. I mean how much do I need to explain here....

A Highlander, Hyundai Santa Fe XL, etc., are a far better choice for someone coming out of a mini van.

I own a 2017 Hyundai Santa FE XL. I have driven my Son's 4Runner on several occasions. There is no comparison-not for someone who isn't going off-road. Sorry guys-you don't get it.

Last edited:
The Highlander is a great car. Know many people who have them and love them. A few months back there was an article in I think our local paper about a car dealership owner who owns many dealerships of various car manufacturers; ie Toyota, Jeep, Mazda, Subaru and a few others. What does he drive, You guessed it. A toyota Highlander.

The OP is coming from a mini van.....your are suggesting a truck frame based vehicle.. I mean how much do I need to explain here....

A Highlander, Hyundai Santa Fe XL, etc., are a far better choice for someone coming out of a mini van.

I own a 2017 Hyundai Santa FE XL. I have driven my Son's 4Runner on several occasions. There is no comparison-not for someone who isn't going off-road. Sorry guys-you don't get it.

Cool and thanks, at least you have some actual real world perspective unlike so many on this board… I am going strictly from a reliability standpoint, and I may be biased LOL

OP should go drive the vehicles suggested and see which one he likes the best and that's what is going to come down to - OP's opinion

With all the downsides. The ergonomics of the 4Runner quite frankly is horrendous. It is one of the worst riding SUVs on the market as well. If your going off-road-by all means look at a 4Runner. But for trips to the mall and grocery store-there are better options. [/quote]

The 4Runner is a truck, not some candyass suv built on a car chassis. Who TiF cares how old the design is, it works. [/quote]

I own a 2017 Hyundai Santa FE XL. I have driven my Son's 4Runner on several occasions. There is no comparison-not for someone who isn't going off-road. Sorry guys-you don't get it. [/quote]

Cool and thanks, at least you have some actual real world perspective unlike so many on this board… I am going strictly from a reliability standpoint, and I may be biased LOL

OP should go drive the vehicles suggested and see which one he likes the best and that's what is going to come down to - OP's opinion [/quote]

WE agree. But he asked for our perspectives......I also agree the 4Runner is extremely reliable. But it has several shortcomings-IMHO.

Last edited:

WE agree. But he asked for our perspectives......I also agree the 4Runner is extremely reliable. But it has several shortcomings-IMHO.

Yup....interested to hear your thoughts on the shortcomings. We've already spoken about handling; it does well for a body-on-frame SUV but fares poorly against a unibody SUV tuned for the street.

If you need 3 rows and cargo space, its either minivan or huge SUV. If you need 3 rows for adults who aren't gymnasts, its minivan or huge SUV. One of my wife's co-workers wanted to ditch the minivan and got a new 4runner, but found it too small and awkward to do the same things they did with the minivan. So they traded the 4runner in and went to the huge SUV. The 4runner is a strong contender for a 2 row SUV if you don't care about mileage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back