NHRA drag racing Racing question??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though my friends and I are longtime NHRA drag fans, we don't have an answer to this hypothetical question.

Say its the final round of eliminations at a national event. In pro stock it's Greg Anderson VS Jason Line.

They both launch great, but in about 50 feet Jason Line snaps his driveshaft and shuts it off. At almost the same time Greg Anderson has a catastrophic electrical failure in his car and now his car is dead as well.

They both coast down the track coming to a stop at about 3/4 of the way down. However Greg's car stops about 30 feet in front of Jason's

Is there a winner here since neither of them crossed the finish line? What would they put down for an E.T.?? Tom

There's a video on line about a motorcycle race that ended with one guy pushing his bike across the finish line. The video with it doesn't work, but I believe they awarded the race to the guy that crossed the finish line first.,,,

Originally Posted By: daddi
Even though my friends and I are longtime NHRA drag fans, we don't have an answer to this hypothetical question.

Say its the final round of eliminations at a national event. In pro stock it's Greg Anderson VS Jason Line.

They both launch great, but in about 50 feet Jason Line snaps his driveshaft and shuts it off. At almost the same time Greg Anderson has a catastrophic electrical failure in his car and now his car is dead as well.

They both coast down the track coming to a stop at about 3/4 of the way down. However Greg's car stops about 30 feet in front of Jason's

Is there a winner here since neither of them crossed the finish line? What would they put down for an E.T.?? Tom

I don't actually know the answer, but if you email that question to [email protected] they will answer it and get back to you pretty quickly. I've asked questions a few times.

The rulebook doesn't address this situation specifically, but this is as close as I could find:

The object of the final round is to determine a winner and a runner-up, with the Event Director having full responsibility in cases involving dual disqualifications. As an example, in the final round, the contestant crossing the boundary line first will be disqualified.

Not crossing the finish line isn't very high up the 'disqualification' list, as every weekend I see cars win that did not cross the finish line.

Great suggestion to email it to the 'announcer' address. I'm curious what Alan will say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back