Recommend an oil to me... Pennz, M1, Castrol...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In sunny South Florida, I'm looking for an oil for my 2015 Lexus GS 350 with 26K miles on the odometer. I do plan on performing UOAs and will post results here for feedback.

Oil capacity is 6.6 qts (with filter), ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil, Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20
I'm a fairly aggressive driver, I pass most folks on the road, but occasionally the ricers do a fly-by (I do not follow)
My daily commute involves a 17 mile, 30 minute trip to work each day (one way), and in West Palm Beach, traffic is pretty scarce so most driving is "suburb-ian" not really highway nor city.
And finally, no mechanical issues, other than that silver-grey ferrous residue I found on the dipstick last night. I'm hoping for UOAs to shed a little light.

Back in '05, '06 and '07,
I found myself unimpressed with Mobil 1 (it's a solid performer but IMO, too hyped and expensive),
and really liking the way Pennzoil Platinum performed in my G35 and Sequioa.
I ended up using Valvoline MaxLife SynthBlend for a combination of value and protection (peace of mind). Toyota recommends 5W-30 but I've always used 10W-30. Currently have about 325K miles on the Sequioa with 3K miles on the current fill of the Valvoline Synth Blend, and I will certainly run a UOA for kicks and giggles (I typically use a 6K OCI).

So given my vehicle, driving style, climate, and my preferences... what do you guys think? What would you recommend? I'd like to hear different opinions and beliefs before I make my own leap of faith. Personally, I'm leaning towards 5W-20, and running a first fill of Pennz Gold with a UOA at about 7K and then maybe switching to Plat, depending on the results.

Last edited:
Whichever 0w20 you can buy the cheapest. I haven't had any problems with Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, idemitsu and now NAPA FULL synthetic which is Valvoline. All good oil

Originally Posted By: chinee
I found myself unimpressed with Mobil 1 (it's a solid performer but IMO, too hyped and expensive)

In what regard? Also, M1 is essentially the same price as most other synthetics at Wally World.

Pennzoil Platinum Dexos1 Gen2 would be my choice. Use a grade/viscosity that satisfies the Warranty requirements... 5W30, if allowed.

If you're not loyal to a brand then flip a coin a few times to narrow it down. Then use the coin to help buy whichever oil is cheapest at the time you need it.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Pennzoil Platinum. Can buy it every where.......and you like it already. It has a proven track record.

This

Both M1 AFE 0W-20 and Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 are highly regarded around here. Flip a coin! Can't say much for the Castrol as I've never really been a fan of their group III oils mainly because they started the fake synthetic oil marketing allowance in the US.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Both M1 AFE 0W-20 and Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 are highly regarded around here. Flip a coin! Can't say much for the Castrol as I've never really been a fan of their group III oils mainly because they started the fake synthetic oil marketing allowance in the US.
what do you mean by fake synthetic?

M1 and penz have rebates for t qts of oil that make them cheaper than supertech when bought from walmart at 22/5qt jug. Buying two t gal jugs for ~12 each (after rebate) is cheaper than 7 single qt bottles.

Use the leftover for the next oil change.

Nothing about your driving habits classify as abusive to synthetic oil. Nice thing about 0w20 is they are all synthetic. No conventional oil in that weight so they are all good as long as they have the certs.

Originally Posted By: jongies3

These 2 0w20’s have very good base stock and carry some approvals …

Why not just stick with the Pennzoil Gold you plan on using first? If you want to go with a a full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum would be my choice but like someone else mentioned -- ST Synthetic 0W20 for $15.28 is a no brainer also.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back