Tier III fuel is on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
a good thing for sure!!! BUT we will surely be paying for it!!! gas prices in my Pa area have been steadily rising this year, more gas tax than other states + prolly more profits to pay for the necessary upgrades for the new fuels, big oil NEVER looses out but as usual CONSUMERS pay $$$$$

Its about time the US joined the first world in fuel quality. I don't mind paying more for quality gasoline over the 87 octane swill they peddle.

What are they adding to the fuel to enable the so called lower emissions or "cleaner" emissions? Will it lower fuel economy like when they changed from MTBE to ethanol as the oxygenator component in gasoline?

Sounds a lot like the clear Amoco made back in the late 90's fad that lasted only a few years. Touted at that time to keep engines cleaner. Looked like water in a clear jar but ran in the car. Still don't know if there really was a benefit or was it marketing gimmick

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Swill? Back in Wyoming I saw 85 octane lol

Talk about retarded timing and poor fuel economy to save a few pennies.

Is that sold everywhere or just in the higher altitudes? I remember seeing some lower octane fuel sold in New Mexico quite a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Will this benefit DIRECT Injection vehicles?

Less carbon generated, less clogging of emissions control devices, longer oil intervals due to less TBN depletion.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
What are they adding to the fuel to enable the so called lower emissions or "cleaner" emissions? Will it lower fuel economy like when they changed from MTBE to ethanol as the oxygenator component in gasoline?

More sulfur has been removed. 30 ppm down to 10 ppm. This translates to less particulate matter. We had a similar change years ago with diesel fuel in the US.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Sounds a lot like the clear Amoco made back in the late 90's fad that lasted only a few years.

O/T but there was a clear gasoline in the 60s/70s my dad would buy to use in his Coleman lantern and stove instead of buying the "expensive" Coleman fuel. It did work OK AFAIK but I was a kid. Anyone know what this was and what was different about it?

Originally Posted By: Trav

Talk about retarded timing and poor fuel economy to save a few pennies.

Common at high altitude.

Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, etc.

The engine doesn’t need to retard the timing because the effective compression ratio is reduced by the 20+% reduction in air density. Normally aspirated engines run just fine on 85 at altitude.

Quote:
You only need to look at the price increase in diesel after the same sulphur reducing upgrades some years back to guage the amount of increase you will see at the pump. Diesel went from 10-15 cents cheaper than unleaded to 30-45 cents more than unleaded.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: spk2000
Sounds a lot like the clear Amoco made back in the late 90's fad that lasted only a few years.

O/T but there was a clear gasoline in the 60s/70s my dad would buy to use in his Coleman lantern and stove instead of buying the "expensive" Coleman fuel. It did work OK AFAIK but I was a kid. Anyone know what this was and what was different about it?
"White" gas of that era was without lead additive. Very low octane, good for flat head lawnmowers etc.

Rod

Marine White was the original unleaded gasoline I recall my dad having it for use both in our OPE and boat we had for a few years. I alsi used it for blending with kerosene to make my own charcoal starter fluid way back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back