Cost of oil changes nowadays -- hoooly moooly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do it myself because the number of workers and techs who really care and take pride in a good job done is very low right now. So many are just going through the motions and around here, half the workforce is under the influence.

The upsell tactics are insult to injury so to speak.

I don't mind the work, usually. It's a pain on sunny days, or rainy ones, but otherwise it's not a big deal. Saves me money, although really, it's small beans compared to depreciation.

Ideally I'd spend the morning, checking everything out, looking for problems. In the last year I wound up overlooking worn brakes (and had to pay for a brake job), and now had to pay for a tire balance--only to find out the tire was out of round. Oops. Well, good thing I've saved all the oil change money over the years...

Originally Posted By: miden851
Honda charges $60 for oil change in our area (5qt); I can do for $30 plus from comfort of my garage

it takes me less time to change it myself then to just drive to the dealer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ENGINEER60
In my day, ALL men changed their OWN oil.
Todays men are just as helpless as women.

I guess they ALL didn't have high-paying and demanding jobs then. They ALL could take their time and do their oil changes and other stuff. Because they had nothing else to care about and they were highly car-enthusiastic.
Modern service industry is NOT geared up for that kind of folks. Comes from the former shop owner. I did my best for the people, and they paid me for that. They call it capitalism. It is a very screwed-up system, except that nobody created the better one.

Originally Posted By: ENGINEER60
In my day, ALL men changed their OWN oil.
Todays men are just as helpless as women.

Bit sexist, eh?

Seems like, back in the day, men didn't bother to pump their own gas. They expected someone else to do that for them--and to check the oil & tires too.

I don't pump my gas the service attendant does that for me he ever checks my oil and cleans my windshield. Sure is nice to leave in a area with at least one full service station is in business.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
I don't pump my gas the service attendant does that for me he ever checks my oil and cleans my windshield. Sure is nice to leave in a area with at least one full service station is in business.

come to nj, all self service if you really need it. I personally would rather pump my own gas, the attendants drip gas, slam the gas door closed, let the gas cap hit into the paint, overfill, lean against your ride, and take too long since attending multiple cars.

Unless a person lives somewhere that doesn't allow any auto maintenance, I don't see why anyone wouldn't just change their own oil...it's one of the easiest things a person can do on a vehicle...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Unless a person lives somewhere that doesn't allow any auto maintenance, I don't see why anyone wouldn't just change their own oil...it's one of the easiest things a person can do on a vehicle...

You'd be surprised how many places don't allow car maintenance, even if a person has the space to do so.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
My oil change cost me around 10-15 dollars every 5,000 miles but i got plenty of oil and filters in stock and got connections for a low price and i don't mind changing it myself no way a quick lube is touching my stuff.

I have seen the damage and mistakes that quick lube businesses have done and some of the shady business practices by up selling a product or service then not performing it.

My dealer charges $99.00 for three prepaid oil changes. They are very accommodating when making an appointment. The filter element alone is $11.00 at Walmart.

I'm not crawling under the car for the extra $15.00.

My vehicle specs conventional oil....they use Valvoline.

Last edited:
Jake makes a very valid point... I had a co worker who had 2 blown up motors from dealership oil changers jacking things up... That surprised me a good bit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

You'd be surprised how many places don't allow car maintenance, even if a person has the space to do so.

When i lived in an apartment, I just did all my auto maintenance when the leasing office was closed.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

When i lived in an apartment, I just did all my auto maintenance when the leasing office was closed.

You where lucky. You had no busy-bodys to report you.

I got reported for my kids running trough the grass to meet me.

I did not report the courageous guys who changed a radiator and worked on his mustang gt.

Now guess who knew how to open a garage door when the power was out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back