YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
I've got a new JL Wrangler and it is amazing. I love my JK Wrangler, but there really is no comparison. I'm creeping up on 5k miles and it has no issues. Fit and finish are excellent, the engine/6speed tranny are a perfect match, and it gets better mpg than my JK even though it is running on 35" tires. The new soft top is light years ahead of anything before it. It is VERY easy to operate, and there are no zippers. I can jump out and put it up or down in about 10 seconds. It is better on road and more capable off-road. They hit a grand slam with the new Wrangler and they are now raking in the cash. When they turn the new pickup loose, they'll hit it even further. They are killing it right now with Jeep.

So how do you like the ESS system so far?

It sucks. I gave it a fair chance and wound up hating it. So I bought a Tazer JL programmer and took care of that quickly and easily, while adjusting the speedo for tire size and a few other programming goodies. ESS bothers me no more!

If Toyota fans just can't wrap their heads around it, this might make them feel better: The 6 speed manual in the JL is an Aisin, which I believe is 51% owned by Toyota. It is hands down the best manual transmission I've ever owned. It is smooth as silk and is well matched to the Pentastar Upgrade. the first gear is very low, and in 4 low, it feels like it could pull a house off its foundation.

As for reliability, my 3 Jeeps, a YJ (130k miles, 10 years), my JK (124k, 11 years, still have it) and my JL (5.5k, just getting started) have been 100%. None of them has ever left me stranded. The YJ was bullet proof and took a helluva beating and LOTS of off-roading. It looked and drove like new when I sold it, which I never, ever should have done. I've seen those 2.5's with half a million miles on them. The JK runs like brand new and has had nothing but standard maintenance. It has been to Moab, Colorado, Windrock a bunch of times, and many, many, other places off-road. It has done lots of boat towing, too. I've ridden it hard. It used a bit of oil for awhile but about 9k ago, it just quit using it. That 3.8 is known for oilcoholism. Maybe it got back on the wagon. I expect 300k plus out of this thing. When it does bite the dust, I'll have no worries. I have a lifetime warranty that came as an incentive when I bought it. It still looks and drives like new. We'll see how the JL does, but I've had no issues. It is just a hoot to drive. I can't decide if I'd rather hear the Magnaflow exhaust, which sounds beautiful, especially when going through the gears with that 6 speed, or if I'd rather listen to the [censored] Alpine sound system. Even more impressive is that my JL, with 35's, gets about 1.5 mpg better than my JK, which has 33's.

Oh, and one of the most impressive pieces of engineering on this machine? The soft top. It is simply outstanding. It is ten times easier to raise, lower, fold back, or put windows on/off, than any Jeep before it. It has zero flapping, even behind a semi. It just impresses the heck out of me. If I'd have known it was this good, I'd have never bought the hard top.

Even if these Jeeps I've had were not reliable, they'd still be more fun per mile than the Toyotas I've owned, by a long shot. (Or, anything else, for that matter.) If I had a million bucks, I'd still have this JL. Of course, there would be a C7 sitting next to it, but I'd still have this Jeep.

Last edited:
Factory ordered my JK and love it. No plans of getting rid of it anytime soon. This is my 2nd Jeep (had a XJ before). Really happy with the Pentastar engine.

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
Factory ordered my JK and love it. No plans of getting rid of it anytime soon. This is my 2nd Jeep (had a XJ before). Really happy with the Pentastar engine.

The tires really look good. Whenever I see those steel wheels, they always have such dinky tires. 2 doors look bad, but the 4 door dramatizes it and just look horrible. It's a shame because the steel wheel is a good looking wheel IMO. I actually wanted to find a set of those for my Jeep, but went with the ~2007ish 16" alloy.

One thing they did do with the JL is increase the tire size with the steel wheel.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
With the exception of GC and Rubicon all other Jeep models are morally degrading to buy.

The Cherokee is basically the Grand Cherokee, but smaller.

The Rubicon is Wrangler package. Very cool nonetheless, but I wouldn't call a base Wrangler "morally degrading."

Have you priced a Rubicon vs. a comparable Sport? All things being equal, we are looking at about a $10k difference for lockers, sway bar disconnects, rock sliders, and Rubicon stickers. They also made (make?) the Sport S which is a happy medium.

Doesn't Toyota Land Cruiser start around $80k? Is basically a tractor with similar off road cababilites as much cheaper Jeep. Oh, I forgot, reliability
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Doesn't Toyota Land Cruiser start around $80k? Is basically a tractor with similar off road cababilites as much cheaper Jeep. Oh, I forgot, reliability
lol.gif

The mid 90s models are absolutely beautiful. Not sure what happened with the current models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back