Brisket flat on charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally use my electric smoker or my traeger to smoke stuff but I decided to try smoking with my 22" Weber kettle over charcoal. It was a huge success. I used Cowboy hardwood briquets. I put 4 pieces of oak on my charcoal snake and it worked great.

Looks awesome.

I have two Weber's and the kettle does all the smoking I ever need with great results.

Try a whole chicken, its wonderful. I smoke mine at 300f, Brine it for 24hrs first.

THAT is the best looking brisket I've ever seen BY FAR!

What temperature does the OP use? Do you rig a thermometer-or two?

Also, what's a charcoal snake?

Really really like the Cowboy charcoal and when finished with my stash of Kingsford going with it exclusively can't stand the Kingsford off taste anymore.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Also, what's a charcoal snake?

I just googled it - the charcoal burns in a ring around the circumference - it makes sense

Originally Posted By: dave123
Really really like the Cowboy charcoal and when finished with my stash of Kingsford going with it exclusively can't stand the Kingsford off taste anymore.

Try Royal Oak .

Neutral flavor and burns very evenly for easy temp control.

Last edited:
To Linctex: Thanks for looking "charcoal snake" up. I thought it was a product like an "Iron Fireman".

NEED: I gotta learn where the OP got that meat.

MEMORY: 40+ years ago my Dad smoked a turkey on a Weber Kettle grill. 'Twas his first smoking adventure ever. PERFECT.

I picked up a free (I love having yuppy neighborhoods around me) Weber 22" kettle a month or so ago. It had not been in a loving home so it was in sad shape. However, the lid was perfectly fine so I bought a $4 smoker thermometer at Meijer and drilled a hole in the lid for it - it worked like a charm. I used this freebie lid on my personal 22" kettle as I wasn't going to drill a hole in my own lid.

Cook time? I would budget a solid 8-10 hours.

Temp? I honestly ran this one higher/faster than I like but I was in a time crunch. This flat saw 250* for 6 hours of indirect heat & smoke and then some time in foil. I would have liked 215-225 for 8 hours. You will see/read so much personal opinion on cooking temp and internal temp. I personally shoot for an internal temp of 150-160 and then I double wrap it in foil to finish it out. I don't check internal temp after it goes in the foil, I just shoot for 1.5-2 more hours of cooking.

Full disclosure: I put a 1/4 cup of beef broth in the foil to add back some moisture and to steam it, this works amazing. I had over 1/2 cup of liquid in my foil that I carefully saved to baste the cut meat with. I like to let the flat rest for 30-45 minutes after taking it off the heat before I cut it.

Meat source? Mom/pop grocery store. This was a choice cut they had on sale for something like $2.79 per pound - I grabbed several to have. They are all in the 4.5-5 pound range.

Pre-cook photo. Beef, salt & pepper (50/50 ratio). I put the salt & pepper on the night before and let it sit covered in the refrigerator.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: dave123

Try Royal Oak .

Neutral flavor and burns very evenly for easy temp control.

Yes I like that also in lumb form.

That looks amazing. Well done.

You can do anything you want on a 22" Weber kettle. I use a Performer for everything.

Two accessories I highly recommend for them are:

Slow N Sear: With this, you can get your kettle up to about 800 degrees to sear steaks properly and finish them off to the side, or you can do low and slow bbqing

https://www.amazon.com/Adrenaline-Barbecue-Company-Slow-Sear/dp/B01HZXPK5E/ref=sr_1_1

And for wood fired pizzas:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SFJLOI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great...I wouldn't have expected in a weber kettle, but must do the snake thing.

Worked amazingly in my Brinkmann making jerky.

Weber kettles are no joke. You can cook some great food on them. I've been thinking about getting one of the 26 inch models. My 22 inch gets tight quick. The big ranch kettle always looked cool but it's over a grand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back