Ruger LCP .380

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a smaller carry weapon for summer. I’m interested in something lightweight and pocket sized to carry when wearing shorts and a tee shirt. My FIL loves his LCP and recommends it. Any owners care to comment?

If you can, shoot one first. Mine has jammed for everyone I've let shoot it, thou not once with me, not sure why. Also the long trigger pull is off putting to me. Better than not having a gun on you. I'll be keeping mine.

I got the chance to fire a magazine full from a Sig Sauer 938 at the range where I'm a member this week, I was highly impressed with it for a 9mm CCW option. Previously I'd been looking at Sig Sauer 238 .380 7 round mag.

Glock 42. A little bigger but more ergonomic, easier to control, more accurate, never jams. If your father-in-law's LCP has jams with stove pipes or failure to feed when others shoot it, it is because the shooters are limp wristing the pistol. Not hard to do with such a small grip. Try the Glock 42 or the slighter larger 43 in 9mm.

For the same size factor as an LCP you can get a Walter PPS in 9mm or .40s&w. Mine's in .40 and comfortable even for ankle holster wear (Uncle Mike's size 12).

The Ruger is a better copy of the Kel-Tec P3AT. The Taurus TCP is a copy of the same design as well. I have a very old, early model Ruger LCP and it has been flawless. 3500ish rounds down range, not one jam or problem ever. It’s the gun that EVERYONE that carries guns should have in their collection. Why? Because it’s so small you can be sure to have a gun on you always. When I’m at the beach with a bathing suit or wearing athletic running shorts I can still have a gun on me. I usually carry a Glock 26, 42, or 43 (own and carry all three), but when I’m wearing light clothing, the LCP gets the nod. Great carry gun, beats your fist or a stick.

I have the LCP II with the single action trigger and love it. You'll have to handle it of course, but mine feels good in the hand and has never jammed. It slips right in to my pocket and I forget it's there. Naturally it stays in the pocket holster at all times since I always carry chambered.

People criticize these little guns for their small sights and snappy recoil, but hey, this is not a range gun. It is intended for up close personal defense, especially when dressing light, and it fills that purpose well.

Mine jammed often when new. I sent it back to Ruger and it was back to me within a week. Ruger replaced the slide and it’s been flawless since. I rear pocket carry mine in the supplied Ruger pocket holster and it’s easy to forget you’re even carrying.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
People criticize these little guns for their small sights and snappy recoil, but hey, this is not a range gun. It is intended for up close personal defense, especially when dressing light, and it fills that purpose well.
+1 . Tiny guns aren't fun to shoot as a target pistols.

Kahr CW380 is smaller. That little bit can mean a big difference in concealment. Kahrs, in general, for their barrel/capacity size are smaller in length and width than a lot of other pistols.

You can get one for about $170 if you shop around. No-brainer. I have 2, a regular and a custom with the aluminum trigger and sights. It is my daily front pocket carry gun. Never a malfunction and you can truly carry it anytime you wear more than a speedo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back