dash cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
do anyone of you use dash cam, I'm thinking of installing one in my car. are cheap ($20-40) dash cam from amazon good enough?

Yes, I have one and going strong (so far) for over 1ish year. Make sure camera you select has some good reviews and capacitor based. Good luck.

My son bought some for front and the rear. Not sure what brand. Already came in handy. We bought something at the store and my wife couldn't find it. Quick look on the video showed where it fell through a hole in a plastic bag and landed in the yard. We went outside and picked it up.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Just remember those camera's can be used for you or against you.

Yup.

You have time to yank them and review the footage later to see if it complements or detriments the accident report. If asked, just say you were all in a panic and forgot your spouse installed the thing.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

You have time to yank them and review the footage later to see if it complements or detriments the accident report. If asked, just say you were all in a panic and forgot your spouse installed the thing.

Which would be a dishonest and immoral thing to do, but yet fits beautifully into our culture of refusing to take responsibility for one's actions or even mistakes. We don't need more lying and cheating. What if I caused a wreck that badly hurt someone or even killed someone, then lied about it. I wouldn't like what I saw in the mirror.

Last edited:
If you want cheap go to walmart and get the Blackweb for 19.95. It even comes with an 8k card. Don't leave any cam parked in the sun in a hot car, the cheap ones especially as they use a plastic lens that deforms with heat. I ran $20 GS8000's for around 4 years and no problems. If you want to do it right make sure you get a glass lens model and use a high endurance card. The regular cards will have a short life and even say on the package the warranty is void if used in a video recorder/ dashcam. Don't worry about batteries vs capacitor. I have both and prefer the battery models. Even the capacitor models have an internal backup battery inside which can fail and lose your settings. I now run 4k HD cams front and A119s as rear cams. Lots of idiots on the road. You can post your interesting vids on youtube.

Originally Posted By: DAC2018
do anyone of you use dash cam, I'm thinking of installing one in my car. are cheap ($20-40) dash cam from amazon good enough?

Both my wife and I have a dash cam and really like them, mine is a camera only hers is a GPS Camera Combo but not cheap about $350.00 but worth it to us, mine is a $180,00 that I was lucky to get discounted to $60,00 because the new models just arrived, buy the cheap one if you like having one you can always upgrade. (ours are GARMEN, great product support and all three of are devices are registered on their site and can upgrade software easily and transfer certain data between devices.)
TOTO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Which would be a dishonest and immoral thing to do, but yet fits beautifully into our culture of refusing to take responsibility for one's actions or even mistakes. We don't need more lying and cheating. What if I caused a wreck that badly hurt someone or even killed someone, then lied about it. I wouldn't like what I saw in the mirror.

The dash cam is yours, you can use it however you please. There is nothing dishonest or immoral about not wanting to incriminate yourself. In case you forgot, it's your constitutional right.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
The cheap ones die every 6 months.

Not necessarily true. I have one I bought from Amazon for $20 back in may of last year. Still works just fine, and I use my extensively just about every day, including in 110+ degree Phoenix heat (140+ inside the car during the summer day).

I have had to replace the microSD card, however, but that is because I bought a cheap one. The replacement card was a "High Endurance" card, which is really a must for the kind of constant write cycle a dash-cam uses. Also, the bigger the card is, the less often a particular chunk gets written to, which equals longer life.

I drive respectfully and responsibly, and maintain constant situational awareness while I'm driving. There is nothing that my camera could catch that could be "used against me".

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

I drive respectfully and responsibly, and maintain constant situational awareness while I'm driving. There is nothing that my camera could catch that could be "used against me".

I've watched a vid or two where a police officer will point out that if he wants to pull you over, he'll just follow for a few miles. Most of us will do something in short order, might be trivial but it'll be enough.

Besides, most of us here probably do have to worry about such stuff. If you're the type who doesn't have to worry, then good for you. It is one of the reasons why I haven't bothered, yet. I'm still waiting to grow up.

Make sure you read reviews for any issues people have found. My family had cheap cameras die within a year. It gets pretty cold here in winter, and pretty warm in summer so I'm not too surprised. After upgrading the one in my car it's been going more than a year with no glitches.

At the very least get one that records in HD with a wide angle lens, and buy a quality SD card of large enough capacity that it won't be run into the ground as fast. Continuous loop recording is very hard on memory cards so cheap ones can get worn out pretty fast. A camera is kinda useless if it just catches a blurry, pixelated, car-shaped blob that doesn't reveal much about what kind of vehicle or what exactly happened in an incident.

The option for the camera to "lock" clips to prevent them from being erased is handy if you want to review something later.

I've got the same one as SirTanon, it's a "GT300 dashcam" that was about $20 on Amazon. Have had it for 1 year now in the Phoenix heat, my car isn't garaged. Works good.

Some online retailer sell it for $50 or more, just buy the cheapest one you can find, they're all the same as far as the GT300

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Same here - AS WE ALL SHOULD BE DOING!!

I have one for my truck when I tow. That way I keep a record of all the goofballs.
smile.gif

No sound in this one. Pulling vantage at 55mph with the trailer. I was at 3800 to 4200 rpm for the full 12 miles. Love my truck.

This next one has music added. .38 Special.
smile.gif
Towing past Soap Lake in Washington state. Bumpy road the new shocks solved everything.

This the decent into vantage over looking the Columbia river valley.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Just make sure it's iron clad. You never know how an attorney can twist things around. My friend owns a taxi cab business and that's their policy, no video or pictures. The company has an attorney that works there. One time one of the drivers took a picture of a cab that was hit. Because that back of it wasn't all the way pulled into a driveway and another car came along and hit it. Guess whose fault it was? The cab driver and the cab company. It fell on the cab company. This was years ago but I think the insurance company denied the claim and it was a chunk of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back