Porsche Panamera buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here familiar with Porsche Panamera's?

Thinking of getting a used first generation but wondering which years I should focus on or avoid.

I think the 4.8 V8 would be the engine to go for.

Any thoughts and tips on what to look for?

I know I'll be jealous when you buy one.

And that the front bumper has to come off to change the air filter.

I don't know of any specific issues beyond what you'd look for when buying any used car, but I would absolutely have a Porsche Center perform a PPI.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

And that the front bumper has to come off to change the air filter.

And the 4.8 V8 takes 9.5 quarts to fill (incl filter) when doing an OCI.
It also takes a solid 5 minutes to drain all the oil
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
crazy2.gif

Same as my Carrera, then!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: parshisa
To the best of my knowledge the are the money pits when out of warranty.

This knowledge comes from...?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
crazy2.gif

Same as my Carrera, then!
wink.gif

How long is the recommended OCI?
With that much oil, it should be annual changes!
I was cheesed with 6.3 liters on my is350!
Gonna be clippin' those syn. coupons when I find 'em!
lol.gif

Person that owned one as well as reviewes on you tube. I might be wrong on this car in particular but i would imagine just as any luxury german car it will be very expensive to repair and maintain.

Last edited:
How long is the recommended OCI?
With that much oil, it should be annual changes!
I was cheesed with 6.3 liters on my is350!
Gonna be clippin' those syn. coupons when I find 'em!
lol.gif

My Carrera is 15k/1yr. I do 5k/6mo.

The Panamera is 10k/1yr.

My Sister and BIL had a 1st gen Turbo S. It was a nice car, and I'm not aware of it having any problems during their ownership. As with any used car, either know what to look for such as signs of flooding or ham-fisted repairs, or have a prospective car inspected by someone that does know what to look for.

And yes, they are more expensive to own and maintain than say a Camry.

Person that owned one as well as reviewes on you tube. I might be wrong on this car in particular but i would imagine just as any luxury german car it will be very expensive to repair and maintain.

If only I had known sooner; now I'll never be able to retire!!!
21.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact

21.gif

It's probably up there in there in terms of classic blunders, the most famous of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia.

It's probably up there in there in terms of classic blunders, the most famous of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia. [/quote] Inconceivable!!!
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

21.gif

It's probably up there in there in terms of classic blunders, the most famous of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia.
Inconceivable!!!

I've owned quite a few Porsche's, driven the Panamera's but not owned one. I'm currently looking at getting one and one of the best places to find honest information about them is over on rennlist.com. Check them out, do a lot of reading on the Panamera forum.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I've owned quite a few Porsche's, driven the Panamera's but not owned one. I'm currently looking at getting one and one of the best places to find honest information about them is over on rennlist.com. Check them out, do a lot of reading on the Panamera forum.

People that actually own the cars that they are discussing? A complete waste of time; you need to listen to the people who heard that their best friend's sister's college roommate knew a guy who had a neighbor that went to a dentist whose broker told him that it cost his second cousin $3000 to change the oil on his Boxster.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

LOL. Good one.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

People that actually own the cars that they are discussing? A complete waste of time; you need to listen to the people who heard that their best friend's sister's college roommate knew a guy who had a neighbor that went to a dentist whose broker told him that it cost his second cousin $3000 to change the oil on his Boxster.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: 02SE
My Sister and BIL had a 1st gen Turbo S. It was a nice car, and I'm not aware of it having any problems during their ownership. As with any used car, either know what to look for such as signs of flooding or ham-fisted repairs, or have a prospective car inspected by someone that does know what to look for.

In fairness, anything with any character or desirability would cost more to own and use than a Camry.
For those willing to part with the money, there are other cars.
Most of us don't eat the cheapest available food, wear the cheapest available clothes or live in the cheapest possible house, so why not splash out a bit in buying a car to drive?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Most of us don't eat the cheapest available food, wear the cheapest available clothes or live in the cheapest possible house, so why not splash out a bit in buying a car to drive?

That has been my philosophy since I started driving back in 1973; life is much too short to drive boring cars...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: 02SE

In fairness, anything with any character or desirability would cost more to own and use than a Camry.
For those willing to part with the money, there are other cars.

You clearly misunderstood me. That was my point in stating it would be more expensive to own and maintain than a Camry. I have two V10 powered cars, they both have high-performance summer tires that not only are more expensive than some all-season's for a Camry, but they won't last nearly as long either. They both take more oil, and are speced for more expensive oil than a Camry is speced for. They both get worse fuel economy than a Camry. Then there is the truck and toyhauler which are strictly for fun, not to mention the Motorcycles, both dirt and streetbikes.

Incidentally, I have a Camry, too. I bought it for my Mother, but when she stopped driving I took it back, and now mostly just take her for rides in it.

I almost forgot the old 4Runner too. It's used for winter driving, and fourwheeling trips.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back