New push mower requiring 10W30??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
What's ironic is the trend toward smaller, single and multi turbo engines generating more horsepower per cubic inch than ever before using these comparatively lighter oils.

I have no information about the engines themselves, though I'd be
hard pressed to believe that they last for 100,000 miles or more, but
a couple of engine techs/service managers have gone off script
and stated that some of these turbos are in serious need of
maintenance with less than 36,000 miles on the vehicles.

My 2¢

It's new and under warranty, why would you want to put something other than what is recommended?? I would use what is recommended, not use the other weights that others are suggesting and go mowing.. It's just a lawn mower....

Last edited:
My wife just bought a new vehicle. I told her that she'd be wise to avoid buying anything with a turbo. For once, she listened to me.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I love how this thread has morphed into an argument over the perceived definition of a word.

This thread was always about the definition of the word "obsolete". Go read the first post.

10w30 has never been obsolete. Equipment manufacturers have not stopped using it. Thread over.

Obsolete? Not yet. .
laugh.gif
But very few car makers call for it. Very popular in hot climates.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Currently most people still use it. It's definitely in the top 3 sellers of oil weights in the US.

I'm not disputing that at all. I'm using some, if you look in my signature. But, as far as PCMOs in North America go, it is obsolete by the definition I posted.

Millions of cars that originally recommended 10w30 are still on the road, and their oil weight hasn't changed.

My TRS-80 Model 4 still works and still uses 5.25" floppies like when it came out of the box, but both are still obsolete.

It's not obsolete with respect to diesel engines or OPE, of course.

Originally Posted By: Garak
It's not obsolete with respect to diesel engines or OPE, of course.

Then by any definition, it's not obsolete.

My TRS-80 Model 4 still works and still uses 5.25" floppies like when it came out of the box, but both are still obsolete.

That's not a valid comparison. Nobody wants to buy that stuff anymore, and probably few, if any, are manufactured. That makes them obsolete.

Anything still manufactured in huge quantities, available at normal retail outlets, is not obsolete. Anything easily available at Walmart, is not obsolete.

And I've still got a Commodore 64 with dual 1541 floppy drives. Winter Games by Epyx is one I still play from time to time.
cool.gif

Then by any definition, it's not obsolete.

I maintain as a PCMO, it is. There certainly are very obsolete oils by many definitions that are still out there available. I saw 20w-20 less than two years ago. That's certainly obsolete; note that I still don't mean useless. SAE 30 HDEO with obsolete specs (there's that word again) is still readily available here from the majors, for older applications. My point is, what new gasoline powered car or truck in North America calls for a 10w-30 in SN/GF-5? I can certainly find lawnmowers and air compressors that call for it. I can find all kinds of HDEO 10w-30, but that's another matter. Other parts of the world of 10w-30 in A3/B4, but that's not relevant to my point, either. And we'll still find 10w-30 PCMO and 10w-30 HDEO on the shelves long after diesel OEMs have abandoned 10w-30, too, just like I can find CF-2 monogrades, which are, by definition, obsolete.

I wouldn't use Walmart as a great benchmark for obsolescence, given some of what I've seen on their shelves. I can certainly find transmission fluids and hydraulic oils there targeting specifications long since deprecated, and I'm not talking about things from the PQIA naughty list, either.

LawnCare: I've got way too many obsolete electronics laying around. They pretty much all work, though.

I maintain as a PCMO, it is.

Is there a single person that thinks "unfit for use in new passenger cars" is anywhere in any definition of obsolete? I'm pretty sure this thread has nothing to do with passenger car oil. It's about equipment, for which 10w30 has never been obsolete.

It's still used in large quantity in passenger cars that do call for it, that makes it not obsolete also. When all those 10w30 drinking cars become as rare as the Model T that uses non detergent oil, then you can call it obsolete.

Obsolescence has nothing to do with what is currently manufactured or specified by a particular type of manufacturer. That is not part of any definition of the word.

As I mentioned, not obsolete period. Obsolete as a PCMO. And yes, what is specified matters, per the definition I obtained.

I'm glad you brought up ND oil. ND 30 as a PCMO is obsolete - nothing new specifies it, but there are cars on the road the still, albeit rarely, would use it, and it's still constantly manufactured and on shelves everywhere. ND 30 as a compressor oil is still currently specified and that's not going to change anytime soon.

As I mentioned, not obsolete period. Obsolete as a PCMO.

No, it's not, and not by any definition you posted. There are still far to many vehicles on the road that aren't even that old that specify that oil. When those vehicles become rare, and stores sell very little for that purpose, then it will be obsolete. It doesn't matter that they are not producing those vehicles anymore, they are still very commonly in use, by the millions, and oil is very commonly sold for them.

If I had to guess I would say Walmart probably sells more 10w30 than they do 15w40 for passenger vehicles. This is not obsolete.

It's totally obsolete because I store my 10w-30 on an identical shelving unit to the one I use for my Model 4 and my Amiga.
wink.gif
It's interesting to note that the Canadian Tire stores here do not stock many 10w-30 synthetic options, yanking them a couple years or more ago.

My B&S is 14 years old and still do not use oil and starts with one pull. Same about my pressure washer Honda 160cc.
I have used M1 5W-30HM or equivalent in Valvoline brand. Here & there also Chevron 10W-30 semi syn diesel oil but not often.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the latest B&S oil recommendations have the preferred oil as Synthetic and the second listed is 10w30. I use T5 10w30 here in Fl for my B&S 20 HP twin that has an oil filter and an oil pump. Why all the bantering about which oil? Just read the engine recommendation, us that viscosity & spec and be happy. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Why all the bantering about which oil? Just read the engine recommendation, us that viscosity & spec and be happy. Ed

Maybe because they skip over all the 40 weight oils in order to recommend their own 15w50. They are leading you to choose their own 15w50 when any xw40 might be fine for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back