Ethanol free gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it increased by 2-3 MPG. My problem its in another town and not handy. Now it has NO detergents so I have to add a bottle of Gumout every 2nd tankful

My work truck gets less mileage by an mpg or two on e0 91 octane versus e10 87. Everything else I have expiramented on has been the opposite,

Last edited:
Char Baby, Anything from 93 to 91 if I remember right. The octane didn't do it because I've tried 93/E-10 in Illinois with no increase. Only the E0 added the MPG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Char Baby, Anything from 93 to 91 if I remember right. The octane didn't do it because I've tried 93/E-10 in Illinois with no increase. Only the E0 added the MPG.

Thank you!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Any modern vehicle will adjust timing based on increased octane. Unless you're direct injection or FI or some combination of the two, it's a small difference.

My parents' last escape (2.0T EB 2013) went from ~23 to ~27 going from 87 with ethanol to 91 ethanol free. Probably more of it was from using higher octane gas but the lack of ethanol probably played some part of it.

Its not the octane that increased mileage, it is the ethanol that decreased it. It just happens that most ethanol free gas is premium fuel.

They had an ecoboost engine, gas turbo direct injection - higher octane definitely increases mileage in such an engine.

Probably for that engine, but I think in most engines it doesn't matter. If you are going to see an increase it is because of the lack of ethanol.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Yes it increased by 2-3 MPG. My problem its in another town and not handy. Now it has NO detergents so I have to add a bottle of Gumout every 2nd tankful
. Unless that's on an Indian reservation that station with 0 additives is breaking the law. Gasoline or diesel for on road street vehicles has a minimum amount of additives, ethanol or not.

It cracks me up. I doubt the mileage differences reported by some here. Really anything over 2MPG gained or lost is due to your right foot or terrain driven.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
It cracks me up. I doubt the mileage differences reported by some here. Really anything over 2MPG gained or lost is due to your right foot or terrain driven.

I have been paying attention to this over the last few weeks in my Santa Fe. The difference in the avg MPG on my in dash display between E-10 92 and E-0 92 is 3-4 mpg. Same commute, same driving patterns.

Without any controlled testing to show that, along with calculated MPG pump to pump, I can see a slight uptick in MPG with non ethanol, but 3-4 MPG is quite a stretch. That is the MPG difference between ethanol free and E85 fuel in my pickup truck.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Without any controlled testing to show that, along with calculated MPG pump to pump, I can see a slight uptick in MPG with non ethanol, but 3-4 MPG is quite a stretch. That is the MPG difference between ethanol free and E85 fuel in my pickup truck.

You have to remember that the mpg difference is a percentage. With your truck getting much lower mileage than say a subcompact, a 5-10% drop in mileage from E10 is different for the vehicles.

In my truck I can't tell a difference at all between E0 and E10...and see a 3-5 mpg drop with E85.
In my Fiat I see a 3-5 mpg drop with E10. With E0 I can average 36-37 mpg on my daily commute. With E10 I can only manage 32-34 mpg. Which is about that same 5-10% difference.

May daily driver DOES get better mileage with ethanol free fuel. However, E0 is only available with 91 octane here in just a few brands, so premium price.

Despite the increase in mileage, the price per mile is still cheaper with regular E10, so that's what I buy.

When I bought this car, regular E0 was still available here. I miss those days.

I also feel a difference in low end torque off the line. And this is also reinforced with the fact that my Santa Fe doesn't have to downshift as soon as it does on E10, and it can shift into OD sooner as well. The Santa Fe just seems to handle around town traffic easier.

Last edited:
If this ethanol is so eco friendly, why don’t they use it to replace a few coal power plants with ethanol ones?

Originally Posted By: nap
If this ethanol is so eco friendly, why don’t they use it to replace a few coal power plants with ethanol ones?

Does it take more energy to produce than you get from it?

It is a proven fact (reported by the EPA) that ethanol free gas is worth a 3% increase in MPG over gas that has 10% ethanol in it, and I notice that in my real world testing as well. I can get ethanol free premium from Shell and Costco up here, but it's only 91 octane so I only use it in my Corvette during cooler weather, since the manual recommends 93. But the 93 & 94 octane sold up here is not ethanol free, so I do see that 3% decrease in MPG.

3% would be around 1/2 mpg. That's within the margin of error. You can't fill the tank to the same exact level consistently. Mileage computers aren't that accurate.

I use only E0 in all my OPE. I’ve had cheap mowers last over a decade with it. Ironically, my 3.0L Ranger runs best on a 50/50 mix of E10 and E85.

Last edited:
For me it's as much not wanting to support the whole E10 idea as it is E0 being a better fuel. Right now I'm only paying .30 more a gallon and refuse to use E10 in anything I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back