Clear plastic scratch remover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some good products and techniques for removing scratches from clear plastics, such as instrument cluster lens, without causing any hazing?

The other day wife's Q5 was in for service. They washed it and cleaned the interior. While doing that, they ended up putting a fairly large size scratch on the instrument cluster lens. When I pointed it out, they took the car back and brought it back 10 minutes later - cluster lens looked as good as new. Not a sign of scratch. Don't know what products or techniques they used, but it obviously worked really well.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What are some good products and techniques for removing scratches from clear plastics, such as instrument cluster lens, without causing any hazing?

The other day wife's Q5 was in for service. They washed it and cleaned the interior. While doing that, they ended up putting a fairly large size scratch on the instrument cluster lens. When I pointed it out, they took the car back and brought it back 10 minutes later - cluster lens looked as good as new. Not a sign of scratch. Don't know what products or techniques they used, but it obviously worked really well.

They may have used these Novus products? They have been around a while and have a great reputation for doing exactly the things like you witnessed.

Originally Posted By: irv

would these work for the plastic lenses on glasses?

They may have used these Novus products? They have been around a while and have a great reputation for doing exactly the things like you witnessed.

Good to know...thanks.

Novus #1 or Plexus.I prefer the Novus. This is what I regularly use to keep my motorcycle shield, and visor clean, and clear.

A friends Rhino Side x side plastic windshield had some deep scratches. For the heck of it I tried the most abrasive compound I had. Griots fast correcting cream with an orange pad on a DA took out the deep scratches. I'm sure that stuff made specificity for plastic may work better. But I was amazed it worked so well. I bet any compound like Mequires Ultimate Compound or anything similar would probably work also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back