Parking wars show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else watch this. Some cities make people jump through hoop after hoop to get their car released. Is it even legal to tow a car just because a meter ran out?

Glad we don't have meters here.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Anybody else watch this.

Nope. [que a Pop response here.] Although I did binge watch some Shipper Wars years ago, along with some... what was it where they have repo men at work? that was kinda interesting.

Yes, cities do that. I watched it some time ago, interesting. People only need to have the money and legal documents and there is no problem. It's good some cities don't allow someone, who is not the owner, take a car. The fighting and arguing is why they have a show, if it was all calm no one would watch it.
laugh.gif

I sort of liked Storage Wars, why I don't know, funny participants. Now I am on antenna, which is free and HD, no more cable and am very happy without it.

We don't have a lot of meters here, small town, but downtown where they have them, I am glad we have them.

Never saw this show. Way back in the day I remember the parking police riding the three wheeler Harleys stopping to place tickets on overdue parked cars.

Used to watch it. Got a kick out of the folks raising cain when they were in the wrong to start with.

Somehow I get the feeling it's staged like every other "reality" TV show. Or for every 100 hours of footage they take they might use 10 minutes out of context.

This is about the only advantage to being disabled. My parking permit allows me to park in any legal space without time limits.
grin.gif

In Miami Beach your vehicle will get towed in a heartbeat for any little parking infraction. 300 plus bucks to get it released. I see it going on 24/7.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Yes, cities do that. I watched it some time ago, interesting. People only need to have the money and legal documents and there is no problem. It's good some cities don't allow someone, who is not the owner, take a car. The fighting and arguing is why they have a show, if it was all calm no one would watch it.
laugh.gif

I sort of liked Storage Wars, why I don't know, funny participants. Now I am on antenna, which is free and HD, no more cable and am very happy without it.

We don't have a lot of meters here, small town, but downtown where they have them, I am glad we have them.

Some of those characters like Barry are definitely plants on Storage Wars. Lots of those shows are scripted. I also watch Pawn Stars and Hardcore Pawn when it was on. Hardcore Pawn was fun to watch because each episode had a couple of crazy people who get thrown out of the store. Some of that was definitely scripted, but it was still fun to watch. On a few of them, you could still see their mic on them. I don't think real crazy people would consent to having a mic put on them.

STAGE? gee with a camera right here how could it be staged? i mean its NOT like outlaw street racers. IS IT OR IS IT?

I saw a row of a few parking meters downtown once, other than that we don't have them here. Parking lots everywhere, sure is nice to not be in Chicago or New York where there's nowhere to park.

And there's some at school at ASU

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Anybody else watch this. Some cities make people jump through hoop after hoop to get their car released. Is it even legal to tow a car just because a meter ran out?

Glad we don't have meters here.

Every city will have its own ordinances governing parking meters and towing by the city, but I would be absolutely stunned if any city that show covers has a law on its books that allows for towing of a car because it is parked in front of an expired meter.

It is more likely that the car was found to be on the city’s list of fine-scofflaws which meant it was tow-eligible if found on a public street.. Maybe they didn’t pay prior parking tickets and ignored repeated warnings about being in danger of getting a boot or being towed. Or maybe they were using license plates from another car that was in trouble with the city.

Whatever the reason, I will eat my Sunday hat if any of the cars on that show were towed simply because their meter session had expired.

And if it isn’t clear by now, yes, I have watched the show many times in the past. Questions about scripting versus real aside, I found it to be rather entertaining. Probably because I was constantly surprised at how willing many people were to blame anything and everything but their own actions (or inaction) for leaving them in the predicament shown in the show.

yup, i watched a few of their shows and they are clearly staged with some bad acting

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Somehow I get the feeling it's staged like every other "reality" TV show. Or for every 100 hours of footage they take they might use 10 minutes out of context.

This is about the only advantage to being disabled. My parking permit allows me to park in any legal space without time limits.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Some of that was definitely scripted, but it was still fun to watch. On a few of them, you could still see their mic on them. I don't think real crazy people would consent to having a mic put on them.

"North Woods Law" is like that-- the camera shows the wardens pulling into a driveway from the house's Point-of-View. So we viewers have to believe that the camera car got there before law enforcement?

With 4000 channels, production talent's getting pretty thin. Half these shows will be edited on i-phones in a couple years.

Sorry to be the "heavy" here but.....

Only a very few of those reality shows are stomachable.

Watching people shout at each other isn't entertainment in MY book. I fully get the idea about personal preferences etc.

MY VIEW IS THIS: You know the old, mumbling corpse on Pawn Stars? I think he's the father.

All these shows look like him in my opinion. What he is (old corpse) is what your brain becomes when you watch that stuff.

"MY VIEW IS THIS: You know the old, mumbling corpse on Pawn Stars? I think he's the father.

All these shows look like him in my opinion. What he is (old corpse) is what your brain becomes when you watch that stuff."

I guess he actually is a corpse now since he died today!

Pawn Stars "Old Man" Dead at 77

Pawn stars is a good example of how fake this stuff is. I haven't watched the show in years, but it was interesting when it first started. A few months ago I visited their shop in Vegas. What a disappointment! Typical tiny run down junk shop you expect to see a heroin addict in pawning grandma's jewels for his next fix. On TV they make it look huge, and somehow upscale - not even close! Most of what they show on TV could not have been filmed there, it is simply too small. No different than any other dirty pawn shop in a big city.

Trust me on this one, it doesn't take much of a parking violation on the streets of Manhattan to get your car towed. You might think that the employees of the parking authority are on commission with the number of cars they tow each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back