set for years

Status
Not open for further replies.
was looking at my oil today.

Castrol Edge 0w20: never used it, but got 10 gallons free. This will be used in 2 gallon increments, 10k oci, in my tundra, for the next 50K miles/3 years. Will have 215k at that point.

Idemitsu 0w20: Still have 8 gallons left, the rav4 loves it. Using at 5 qqts per 10k, I will get 60k/4 years.

I also have a 5 quart mobil 1 0w20. From the Idemitsu, I should have 3 left over quarts. So another 8 quarts for either vehicle and 10k.

I am set on oil, but still looking for sales and trying to get more free oil.

How'd ya get the free oil cruiser ? I see you're a Toyota guy, I really like Toyotas too. Looks like you're all set for quite some time but it seems like you won't settle for the current stash. The quest for free or inexpensive good quality brand name engine oil continues ! Good luck.

Yeah, sometimes you need to step away from the sales.

I have no need for more oil, but when the PP was on clearance at Walmart, I bought 15 qts.
I am set for at least 3 more years on 6 vehicles.

I stay one oil change ahead, but the temptation is always there to buy extra.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
Castrol Edge 0w20: never used it, but got 10 gallons free.
I am set on oil, but still looking for sales and trying to get more free oil.

True BITOGer!

Good call Bud.
I try to keep my supply low but it is hard to do. I have a limit of 27 quarts. Right now I have 14.

I've tried just having 1 oil change in queue and it doesn't work, but meanwhile being set on oil for life is a recipe for a catastrophic leak all over the garage floor IMO. You'll lose the money saved in frustration, paper towels and degreaser.

My advice is that if you have the room for it and will use it within a year or so, go for it. I bought about 80 quarts last summer and I only have about 24 left. It still seems like a lot, but most of this will get used up in the next month or so. I also try to buy M1 when they have their Spring or Fall rebates.

The key is to have 1 or 2 oil filters in a stash.. I realize it's harder to find them on sale compared to $2 oil, but nothing is worse than putting off an oil change because you couldn't find your filter at the store. It happens all the time with my truck and the xx3980. Many times, I can just go to Rock Auto and get everything I need with 1 order.

I got enough oil laying around to keep my stocked for a couple of years i got two cases of peak 10w30 plus countless quarts and gallons of chevron delo sae 30,40. there is a lot of loose quarts of diffent brands in either 10w30,10w40,15w40.

If you actually get it for free, keep doing it and give it away to your Bitog buddies.
banana2.gif

I have a bit of a spread because I own a dealership.

Mine are...

0W-20 (typically only when needed)

5W-20
5W-30
10w-30 (whenever the price dips below $1 a quart)

10W-40 (only on extreme clearance. I use it for older 20+ year old vehicles with incomplete maintenance histories)

20W-50 (Still have 9 quarts two years later. Only used 5 quarts once in that entire time. If I get a really trashy trade-in I'll put 5 quarts in and have it go through a wholesale auction.)

The oil occupies the lower shelf in the garage and the filters occupy the upper shelf. I'm usually a lot more interested in replacing filters and think the entire oil change/product debates are completely overblown.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
How'd ya get the free oil cruiser ? I see you're a Toyota guy, I really like Toyotas too. Looks like you're all set for quite some time but it seems like you won't settle for the current stash. The quest for free or inexpensive good quality brand name engine oil continues ! Good luck.

A company I use for vibration testing was testing new oil dispencers. I took two 5 gallon containers, was going to get more next time. By the time I got back, they called someone that takes used oil and they took it all. Probably another 100 gallons easily.

They have another 100 gallons or so for the next round of tests, which I already told them I will take it all. 0w20, 5w20, 10w30, 5w30, even some 40 weight. Hopefully it happens

Sad to say where I live in NW NJ there doesn't seem to be any "close out" oil or filter sales, only full freight pricing, even at Walmart. I think the stores first advise their "professional customers" of impending sale close outs. And I understand that repeat customers are the best kind and to treat them well is good business. It's ok because I've been buying Mobil 1 during their rebates and have been faithfully receiving their rebate checks in 4-5 weeks. The last Mobil 1 rebate was for Mobil 1 & Mobil oil filter bought from Auto Zone for $29.99 for 5 qts of Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 oil filter. With the $17 rebate it reduced the price to ~$13 for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and the Mobil 1 oil filter, that's a good deal since there is no oil or filter close out pricing near where I live. Plus I get the oil and filter I need, I don't have to settle for just what's on close out. I know that's heresy here on BITOG
lol.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Yeah, sometimes you need to step away from the sales.

I have no need for more oil, but when the PP was on clearance at Walmart, I bought 15 qts.
I am set for at least 3 more years on 6 vehicles.

Got 12 quarts of the PP too … and my oil shelf’s were already full … too good of a price …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back