tire rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get my tires rotated at Discount tire for for free but it usually requires about a 1 to 1 1/2 hour wait.
So i went to a little independent shop and they did it and set the air pressure in 15 minutes for $20.00.
Anybody else do this?

Originally Posted By: marine65
I can get my tires rotated at Discount tire for for free but it usually requires about a 1 to 1 1/2 hour wait.
So i went to a little independent shop and they did it and set the air pressure in 15 minutes for $20.00.
Anybody else do this?

My local indy tire shop charges $30 to take off summer wheels and put on winters, and vice versa, which is when they do the rotations as well. For the Q5, I let them do it since I don't feel like wrestling with big/heavy SUV wheels. I'm usually in and out in about 20 minutes. For the 530i, I do it myself as it's more manageable.

Quote:
...Anybody else do this?

Nope. However, in ~14 years of DT experience I've never had a 1-1&1/2 hour wait. I have stopped in where I could see they were busy and asked a time frame, outside my wait preference, made an appointment for the next day. I've also called before to make an appointment before going too. In and out in a timely manner with appointment. Depending on time and day, ime normally no appointment necessary.

Originally Posted By: marine65
Anybody else do this?

Be there at 8am not on Saturday. In and out.

I set up an appointment (Kansas City area) and it takes about 45 mins. I tried using Discount Tire for rotations when I was living temporarily in Fort Collins, and the wait was always more than an hour. No one there mentioned the ability to do appointments to me.

My local tire chain has a 30-45min wait if you make an appointment.

Made me think about I when bought tires at Costco. The rotation/balance was free but with a 4 hour wait!

man...I feel lucky...the little indy shop i got my tires from, I paid an extra $10/tire for lifetime road hazard and rotations. it's usually 30 min from the time i walk in the door, until they give me my keys back. no muss no fuss. no appointments needed, they don't even take/make them..

my only complaint is they don't have enough lifts, and several times they've done my rotations lifting the whole car with 3 trolley jacks. 2 in the proper front jack points, the 3rd one under the trunk about where the diff would be if my car was the awd version. (but it's not) so basically lifting it by the trunk floor...

Last edited:
no, I've been trying to avoid tire shops for that reason--just feels like I sit around for a 2-3 hours for the simplest of work. Mind you, I understand: I might not be first, the tech is juggling jobs, etc. It's just that i'm taking time off from work to sit around. Ergo, I tend to do this on the weekends. I also try to bust loose the brake pads and lube up the sliding surfaces, maybe shoot some Fluid Film, any other jobs in the wheel well.

On the rare occasion that I take it in just 'whenever' to the DT, I usually end up having to wait, since at the point it's a "First come, first served" sort of thing.

..however, I have learned that if I need a rotation done, I call the day before and set up an appointment. This way, I'm usually in and out in 30 mins or less.

I rotate mine at home, have my own air compressor.

With 4 vehicles, 3 tandem axle trailers, and driving 50,000 miles a year - -
I don't depend on tire shops for routine maintenance stuff like this.

I've threatened to buy my own tire machine more than once..... I did 9 tires in one year (2016)

yes. its a valuation of your mechanic. pay a fair rate for a fair service and it will be done speedily and correctly. Be honest there is no way that $40 you paid 1 time covers the labor for lifetime rotations.

Time is never mentioned when you get sucked in by all you can eat or "lifetime" deals. Or skill customer service and competance.

I can afford it and I never going to have the time to hassle with a lifetime service, so I'd rather just pay what is fair and go independent that will charge $20 and doesnt ever do lifetime deals.

Often i bundle another service like an oil change because time is money.

On that same token, Im paying a fair wage for an oil change too, so I get competant skilled work as if I were doing it; I dont have to fear or worry about all those oil change horror stories that people seem to write about

Last edited:
I make an appointment on Discount Tire's website and it seems to get me in faster than a walk-in. And I do it on a weekday when I have time.

Originally Posted By: supton
no, I've been trying to avoid tire shops for that reason--just feels like I sit around for a 2-3 hours for the simplest of work. Mind you, I understand: I might not be first, the tech is juggling jobs, etc. It's just that i'm taking time off from work to sit around. Ergo, I tend to do this on the weekends. I also try to bust loose the brake pads and lube up the sliding surfaces, maybe shoot some Fluid Film, any other jobs in the wheel well.

I'm with you. I do my own rotations, less hassle, no attempted up sells, no wait, no grief. For me it's a win all the way around. The tire shops around here suck, maybe it there was a good one I'd think differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back