Chevron Lubricants Q&A May 2016 - Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way the Honda GN4 is less than half the price of Valvoline VR4, which seems to go for $50/6 bottles. Kinda surprising as I'd expect private label oil to be more expensive.

I would not poo-poo Honda branded oils. They are pretty serious engine builders. If they run it their race programs, it's likely to be very good oil ...

Another oil to look at is Mercury Quicksilver 25W-40. It's been a stable stout marine lube for a while and it holds up well in flat tappet boat engines.

Lastly, you can look at John Deere 50+ (not 50+ II) as it's 1200 PPM ZDDP and a very stout oil. See if your local Deere dealer has any old stock they will sell you
smile.gif

OBTW - 50+ was made by Chevron to JD's specs
laugh.gif

Dunno who makes 50+ II ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I would not poo-poo Honda branded oils. They are pretty serious engine builders. If they run it their race programs, it's likely to be very good oil ...

Another oil to look at is Mercury Quicksilver 25W-40. It's been a stable stout marine lube for a while and it holds up well in flat tappet boat engines.

Lastly, you can look at John Deere 50+ (not 50+ II) as it's 1200 PPM ZDDP and a very stout oil. See if your local Deere dealer has any old stock they will sell you
smile.gif

OBTW - 50+ was made by Chevron to JD's specs
laugh.gif

Dunno who makes 50+ II ...

Thanks. I sent a note to Chevron asking for recommendations. I’ll post what I find out. Tried contacting Shell, but they don’t have email contact—I’ll need to call them. From what was posted here a few weeks ago Shell Rotella T4 still has 1200 ppm zinc and 1000 ppm phos, which should be good enough. I’ve seen conflicting info in Delo FE, so am interested to w]see what they come back with.

Last edited:
It comes up on Amazon occasionally. But it has become a "Unicorn" oil.

I have 6 gallons which will take me through a few engine builds.

But the prices have gone nuts, so either contact a Chevron distributor and see what they can do, or use something else ...

One guy buy a Chevron Havoline ProDS Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5w-30 (SN-RC, GF-5, dexos1 gen2) in Russia

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Weather was -28C
[Linked Image]

Fake oil ?
Can somebody ask support about batch-code ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back