I Had To Tell Somebody- Banquet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The Rotisserie must be a lost leader or at cost option. They're $4.99 at both Costco and BJ's and I believe they're 3 pound chickens. If you look at the ones the regular supermarkets sell for $6.99 or $8.99, they're more like 2 pounds or under.
And I prefer the smaller ones. The bigger ones typically have a lot more fat on them which I end up tossing.

I don't think there's that much more fat than the greater weight. The smaller ones tend to have very thin thighs and legs, almost bone with no meat.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Down on Pearl st in the Financial District used to be the Liberty Diner . A breakfast and lunch place. Worked 5AM - 2 pm. Before the guy left. he put 4 turkeys in to roast. You could get sausage and bacon eggs and home fries. Everything else was turkey dinners or some other iteration of turkey. The line was often to High st if you got there late. Long gone along with the whole block now.

I've eaten that turkey many times. It was excellent.

When I was a kid, I used to hang with my grandmother a lot. She always made me Chef Boy Ar Dee Spaghetti and toast. A few years ago, I saw a gallon can of that spaghetti and got it just as a flashback to hangin' with Grandma. The first couple of tastes served the purpose but man! Who eats that stuff?

I do not eat tv dinner chicken. We make it ourselves, get it from a local place with real good quality or my all time favorite, Publix whenever we're in the South.

I don't know why anyone buys this stuff.
If you want chicken, it's always cheap and is easy to prepare in any number of ways.
You can always buy and prepare food more cheaply and often as quickly as you can some freezer aisle horror.
There are exceptions of course.
Stouffer's frozen products are usually very good but aren't cheap.
I could make really good lasagna from scratch for less than the cost of Stouffer's, but there are times when popping a tin the oven just makes sense.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I don't know why anyone buys this stuff.
If you want chicken, it's always cheap and is easy to prepare in any number of ways.
You can always buy and prepare food more cheaply and often as quickly as you can some freezer aisle horror.
There are exceptions of course.
Stouffer's frozen products are usually very good but aren't cheap.
I could make really good lasagna from scratch for less than the cost of Stouffer's, but there are times when popping a tin the oven just makes sense.

I’m going to need that recipe! Otherwise, I’m going to have to call you on that one.

My step pop was one of the best cooks I’ve known (biased as I am). We routinely purchased store brand and everything else as cheaply as possible. While I’ll admit that his lasagna was a million times better than frozen, it was a lot more expensive! This is not including equipment to make it from scratch, nor the additional energy and time to make the meal vs frozen, which can be popped in the microwave (better if it has the option for oven-heating) with zero prep or fuss.

I’m not advocating against cooking healthier meals from scratch, but we’ve got to be fair and realistic. People with any variation of the following issues are perfectly justified in purchasing (and liking) frozen or easy-prep meals:

Low cooking skills
Low income
Low on time

I’m lucky that my wife doesn’t check any of the above boxes; however, she’s a busy woman. There are many times, even though she is an excellent cook, she will choose an easier option. What she DOES do in these instances, is add her own quick spin on it; she always has to add something. Seriously, her instant noodle ramen is better than some restuarants, with the added herbs, soft-boiled eggs, and other spices and sautéed meats, as applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back