High Lead Redline 5W40 thoughts? Ty

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first oil interval using Redline oil for my 1994 Montero 3.5 DOHC. Used Fram Ultra 9688. When I changed the oil there were no ferrous particles on the Gold oil plug, for the first time ever. Castrol Magnatec 5W30 was used prior to this.

I'm original owner. Montero is garage kept. Most miles are via, Interstate. Took trip across CONUS. Half way through interval I added Hy-per Lube polymer zinc additive, as dipstick was 1/2 quart low on oil. This was my only resource at the time. Could the polymer show up as lead? Thoughts opinions appreciated? Wish I could upload pdf in original format from Blackstone Labs.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Pajero, if you log into Blackstone's website and register, you can export your reports in PDF format without having to scribble on them in paint, and they are a much nicer size to try to read. Like this horrific report from my stepson's Windstar that he insisted on buying BEFORE I got a UOA for him:

Maybe you got a particle streak through the bearings. Iron may be normal, or maybe you have a small hidden vacuum leak? Too many additives in RedLine oil becoming corrosive to the Iron and lead?

Last edited:
If memory serves me correctly, this isn't the first time I've seen high lead in a Redline UOA (not that I'm trying to insinuate anything
27.gif
) Is this the first run on Redline? I ask because the other runs seem to be very solid results.

Yes, what JustN89 stated. We seem to see this more often with Red Line UOA's, and I'd hesitate to get panicky over it. I know we'll have some give us hand waving over esters, viscosity choice, or AW chemistry choice, but I find it exceedingly hard to believe that Red Line oils eat through bearings in ever application in which they're used.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
If memory serves me correctly, this isn't the first time I've seen high lead in a Redline UOA (not that I'm trying to insinuate anything
27.gif
) Is this the first run on Redline? I ask because the other runs seem to be very solid results.

Yes, this is my first time with Redline oil. However; I've been using quality synthetic oils for many years. I've spent the last few hours reading about high Pb in redline oils. Conflicting/confusing data. A lot of great information on BITOG. I appreciate the comments. I will try to post a better UOA. I'm using a chromebook, ASUS laptop is toast.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Makes sense. I would try going back to one of the oils you ran before and then test a sample of it. That might help remove some variables and give us a clearer picture. Or, if you want to try another Redline product, you could try the API licensed Professional series! I've been wondering what all is in that and it would help satisfy my curiousity.
lol.gif

With copper and lead one would conclude a bearing is beginning to wear. Unless you have oil cooler. You will not fix it by changing oil.

It's an old car with old engine. Bearings wear.

Originally Posted By: Donald
With copper and lead one would conclude a bearing is beginning to wear. Unless you have oil cooler. You will not fix it by changing oil.

Unless the car magically aged that much more in the last 4.5k miles, it wasn't showing that much wear on previous runs using other oils. Therefore, it might just be the oil.

27.gif

There have been … and a number of, meh, you know runs on RL …
Have not seen it match Amsoil on engines … and now wonder if the buyouts have hurt …

I’m down to one transfer case with RL … and that’s going Amsoil next …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
27.gif

There have been … and a number of, meh, you know runs on RL …
Have not seen it match Amsoil on engines … and now wonder if the buyouts have hurt …

I’m down to one transfer case with RL … and that’s going Amsoil next …

The new Amsoil PCMO formula does look really good IMO and I've heard nothing but good things about their transmission and gear fluids as well.

This is another example of why I want to do some lead corrosion tests with Red Line. I now plan on doing it and posting the findings.

The HTHS of Red Line 5W-40 is 4.4 cP, while the previous oil’s HTHS was around 3.0. Red Line’s HTHS was around 47% higher, which is a huge increase. It is perhaps more viscous than ideal. That large viscosity increase introduced a large change in a factor, affecting the UOA. Red Line’s formulation is also drastically different from the previous oils, which is another big change affecting the UOA. The Hy-per Lube additive added another factor. Big changes can introduce temporary anomalies. Give something two or three OCIs to settle down and show its true character. All of these things make it difficult to conclude how good this Red Line 5W-40 oil can be in this application, in the long term.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Unless the car magically aged that much more in the last 4.5k miles, it wasn't showing that much wear on previous runs using other oils. Therefore, it might just be the oil.

Do you think Redline is causing Pb wear? Or scavenging Pb due to age? Or Redline contents showing as Pb? Montero has an OEM oil cooler!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Also, this is a new OEM air filter with this interval. I have a Safari Snorkel on Montero for dust, not water.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Pajero
Can someone please explain the chelate phenomenon of redline oil?

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Does this explain it?

lol! I really like DHL.....

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Don't panic. This is the chemistry of Redline doing work. The first run of Redline is always a bit crazy as the esters do a lot of things other oils don't. This is from the leaching. If you want to see how Redline really works for you, then i would run it for consecutive OCIs and then sample again on third OCI (this one being the first).

Redline is not an oil you want to switch to, switch from, switch to, etc. You will only get the best from it if you keep running it w/out mixing with other oils. If you can't stick with redline, don't waste the time.

Good luck.

PS: Do not use additives with Redline. Its chemistry is too different with all the esters and the add pack within redline has to be designed to specifically work with the high polarity of the ester base stock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back