Cab mount failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 95 ram pops out of gear when you hit bumps and when you hit a big bump it sounds like a ball joint is bad....but it's not the issue is this cab mount. How long can you just let this go? What are my options. It's tough to let go because it was my grandpa's truck but I also understand putting ton of money in it is foolish

wthoxz.jpg

It's gone already.

How's the surrounding metal? You may be able to make a new mount if you're good with a welder.

Sometimes on vehicles just one spot rots out but the rest will be perfect. This may be that case.

If the rest of the truck isn't that bad and that's the only bad spot.
Try taking it to a welder, (can't tell from the pic's) but he may be able to weld a plate in that area.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
If the rest of the truck isn't that bad and that's the only bad spot.
Try taking it to a welder, (can't tell from the pic's) but he may be able to weld a plate in that area.

The bed has holes the rocker panels are rusted it's very much a beater.

Is it possible to have someone weld a solid cage around it per say and attached the body to frame directly so it's solid?

How long you can let this go depends on how much you drive it on salted roads, in rain to a lesser extend, and the frequency and size of bumps you hit.

Putting money into it, depends on its purpose. You need it structurally safe and sound, engine and tranny working reasonably. Body rust, meh it's a pickup truck, as long as local ordinances don't prohibit having *rusty* vehicles I wouldn't sweat the body rust until it too becomes structural for example the rocker panels, you don't want them falling through when someone steps on one which is an injury liability issue.

Keep in mind that just because you see that rotten cab mount, that doesn't necessarily mean you don't have a bad ball joint too, or did you check for ball joint play? If it has the original BJ's then I'd imagine it's due for new ones, and that IS more of a safety issue if the knuckle (and wheel) comes off driving. If it needs BJ's, fortunately they're inexpensive to DIY if they are separate from the control arms and in that case may not even require a wheel alignment, while upper control arm replacement usually does throw alignment off.

Last edited:
I'm sure the other mounts don't look "pristine" either-just not as bad. Whatever you do.....decide quickly as that's an unsafe condition-especially if the truck is put under stress such as a quick avoidance maneuver.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Is it possible to have someone weld a solid cage around it per say and attached the body to frame directly so it's solid?
Rust is basically cancer, it spreads.

A body shop or a guy who is a welder can just cut that cab mount off, and stick a new cab mount on and weld it in place.

If the cab is moving so much that it's popping out of gear and making noise, you can't let it go any longer, it's dangerous as is.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
If the cab is moving so much that it's popping out of gear and making noise, you can't let it go any longer, it's dangerous as is.

If it's moving around that much then I have to think the rest isn't far behind.

I get the sentimental value, but sometimes it's time to move on. What would your grandpa say if you were to ask his advice about fixing this?

Maybe seal up the hole and park on the back 40 if you really want to hold onto it.

I did check the ball joints and they're only a couple years old. I guess my main question is can this be reasonablly fixed without breaking the bank. Or would you just let it go and maybe use the parts on a different truck.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

That would vibrate like crazy.

The sad thing is your sheet metal gave out-- this is harder to weld than the 1/8" plate of the frame portion of this mount.

If you're going to disregard what everyone says and rig it anyway, take some cardboard, cut and mold it to your floor, then copy this over to an old computer case or similar gauge metal, bend it up, drill a million holes and rivet it to your existing floorpan. Drill a 1/2 inch hole and run that cab bolt through. But then if you wreck, your life is in the hands of these rivets which hold what, 40 lbs each? You hit 100 G's in a wreck, so that's 20k lbs of force.

This truck's ready to be taken off the road. My yard plow truck's this ugly.

Yea if I can't have the mount replaced reasonably or repaired to an extent that its safe . I'll probably just look for a newer truck in the future and keep the drivetrain out of this one and rebuild it.

Take it to a couple shops and ask what it'll cost.

Personally I'd take the first step to getting it fixed. You've got to have a stopping point before it isn't reasonably fixable anymore. But get some estimates and maybe start doing some repairs, at least you could say you tried.

My Jeep was my grandpa's. He's still alive but his health isn't so good, I will never ever sell it. I know that if I do, i would regret it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Take it to a couple shops and ask what it'll cost.

Personally I'd take the first step to getting it fixed. You've got to have a stopping point before it isn't reasonably fixable anymore. But get some estimates and maybe start doing some repairs, at least you could say you tried.

My Jeep was my grandpa's. He's still alive but his health isn't so good, I will never ever sell it. I know that if I do, i would regret it.

That's kind of my situation. I feel like I'd regret letting it go. I don't see why it isn't possible to fabricate the rusted piece and weld it in.

It is repairable but its not going to be easy or cheap, the truck is for all intents and purposes is finished and not worth fixing.
How much are the memories worth to you? I would hang the steering wheel in the garage and spend the money on something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back