Another thick/thin article to discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Yep and that 5.0 right hand drive Mustang for the UK probably won’t be worked hard either. That’s why Ford is only spec’ing 5-20 for it.

The 2018 UK Mustang OM also shows
WSS-M2C913-D, which is a full synthetic 5W30 oil spec. Looks like they give a choice between two specs.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Snagglefoot said:
Almost done. Oil specification for 2018 Ford Mustang with 5.0 engine with right hand drive for sale in UK

WSS-M2C9488 - 5W20

Australia Mustangs spec 5W30.

2018 UK Mustang OM also shows
WSS-M2C913-D, which is a full synthetic 5W30 oil spec.

Got it from the UK owners manual. Don’t care what Australia specs.

Last edited:
Don’t care what Australia specs.

Why, to support your confirmational biases ?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Considering this article discusses GF3 oils, the discussion is outdated.

GF-3? FAR too modern for me. I can still get SJ here. I THINK GF-3 is SL?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Considering this article discusses GF3 oils, the discussion is outdated.

OK, current and relevant.

GM spec DEXOS2 for GDI engines in Oz, and Dexos1 in the US.

GM claim that warranty will be void if you use Dexos1 in these engines...

Sure. History has value … just as an evolution has value to some of us … and the CAFE thing is real.
I put our Cruze on 0w40 (@ 90k) after hearing that’s what they run in Oz and the engine has never sounded better (even with that loud brand) …

They don't always, Oz gets 5W30 and EU lists the optional 5W30 spec. They don't lock it into only 5W20.

Signing off from another light vs heavy.
18.gif

lol.gif

I have normally aspirated engines that are not GDI and I always use 5w20
And have never had issues and I have many cars. Of course I maintain them to the T.
But using 5w30 wouldn't bother me.

When I pour 15w50 into my ope's to me it looks water thin. None of it is thick in my opinion, relatively speaking of course.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Turn up the radio and less chance anyone hears the tick.

It works good for squeaks and rattles too.
wink.gif

That article is more relevant today with DI and engines that reduce viscosity.

I wouldn't put 20 weight in a diluter.
39.gif

I’m out. Not going to participate in a mindless bicker.

That is all you ever do on here anyway.

This is a perennial topic here and the article you've linked to has been linked to in earlier threads as well.
My takeaway after years of information and thought is about what it was long before I came here.
To wit, most engines as most of us use them are perfectly fine on a variety of grades.
Whether a thicker grade would reduce wear with our two current daily drivers is a valid question, but also a pretty irrelevant one since any decent modern engine throws off so little metal after break-in.
There are special cases where a thicker than recommended grade might be appropriate for all users, but those aren't typical.
There is no doubt that you'll do no harm in using a thicker than recommended grade and may do some good, so those who wish to do so should go right ahead. The loss in fuel economy will be only slight and the thicker viscosity at really low temperatures will only matter in areas where the engine should have some sort of pre-heater used anyway.
It's all a matter of what you've come to learn and therefore believe.
No oil can really make up for baked-in design or materials selection problems, though. Soft cam lobes, piston slap due generic sized pistons as well as inadequate skirt length and timing chain wear due to inadequate hardening are all known problems with certain current engines that no oil can fix.

Since this has gone downhill, perhaps a few quotes from the article are in order to illustrate the salient points I found interesting, especially since some have obviously not bothered to read. Anyone up for some discussion?

Originally Posted By: article

Conventional wisdom states that engine oils that increase fuel economy allow less friction and prolong engine life. The purpose of this article is to challenge conventional wisdom...

Ok so we know where this guy is coming from.

Fuel Economy: Does Anyone Really Care?
First, we should face the fact that the American consumer does not typically care about fuel economy except during difficult economic times. The No. 1 selling passenger vehicle is the Ford F-Series Pickup. Five of the top 10 best-selling vehicles are trucks, and trucks outsell cars.

Some of the trucks are called sport-utility vehicles, otherwise known as SUVs, because their owners don’t want to admit they are trucks. The mass (size, weight) of these vehicles is not conducive to great fuel economy.

There have been numerous posts about soccer moms in Escalades. This is a fair point. Now if 40mpg+ vehicles were top sellers his argument wouldn't hold water.

Thinner oils are being used these days for three reasons: They save fuel in test engines, the viscosity rules have changed, and manufacturers are recommending thinner grades.

The Sequence VI-B is the test used to evaluate fuel economy for the GF-3 specification. The VI-B test engine is fitted with a roller cam where the old Sequence VI test used a slider cam. The old Sequence VI test responded well to friction modifiers, but the Sequence VI-B responds to thinner oils.

The test oil’s fuel efficiency is compared to the fuel efficiency of a reference oil in the Sequence VI-B test. To pass, the test oil must improve fuel economy one to two percent, depending on viscosity grade. SAE 5W-20 must produce higher relative fuel efficiency than SAE 5W-30.

It is interesting to note that the reference oil is fully PAO synthetic SAE 5W-30. To qualify for the GF-3 Starburst, ordinary mineral oils had to beat the fuel economy of the full synthetic reference oil. (It seems there is more to fuel economy than a magic base oil.)

Although the GF-3 specification is outdated in the US, the concepts here are sound IMO. Sounds like the test has been altered to favor thinner oils; I don't have the background to comment on the testing regimens, perhaps someone in the industry can put up some enlightening information.

Because of the change in cold-flow requirements and the fuel economy test pushing formulators toward the bottom of the viscosity grade, today’s SAE 10W-30 oils are more like yesterday’s (GF-1 spec) SAE 5W-30 oils. On top of that, there is a trend toward auto manufacturers recommending thinner grades. This seems ridiculous. SUVs and trucks, with their inherently less-efficient four-wheel drive and brick-wall aerodynamics, need powerful, gas-guzzling engines to move their mass around in a hurry. In response, auto manufacturers recommend using thin oils to save fuel. Incredible!

Another good point...putting a more fuel efficient grade in a low mpg vehicle to save gas.....

Thinner oils have less drag, and therefore less friction and wear. Right? Perhaps in the test engine or engines that experience normal operation. But somewhat thicker oils may offer more protection for more severe operations such as driving through mountains, pulling a boat, dusty conditions, short trips, high rpm, overloading, overheating and overcooling.

Any abrasive particles equal to or larger than the oil film thickness will cause wear. Filters are necessary to keep contaminants small. The other side of the equation is oil film thickness. Thicker oil films can accommodate larger contaminants.

This backs up the Toyota owner's manual suggestion to use heavier oils for towing, continuous high speed, etc. Also backs up what BITOG already knew: filtration is important.

Temperature has a big effect on viscosity and film thickness. As a point of reference, one SAE grade increase in viscosity is necessary to overcome the influence of a 20°F increase in engine temperature. At a given reference point, there is approximately a 20°F. difference between viscosity grades SAE 30, 40 and 50. SAE 20 is somewhat closer to 30 than the other jumps, because SAE 30 must be 30°F higher than SAE 20 to be roughly the equivalent viscosity.

In other words, an SAE 20 at 190°F is about the same kinematic viscosity as an SAE 30 at 220°F, which is about the same viscosity as an SAE 40 at 240°F. This approximation works well in the 190°F to 260°F temperature range. One might be surprised at the slight amount of difference between straight viscosity vs. multiviscosity oils with the same back number (for example, SAE 30, SAE 5W-30, and SAE 10W-30).

If an SAE 50 oil at 260°F is as thin as an SAE 20 oil at 190°F, imagine how thin the oil film becomes when you are using an SAE 5W-20 and your engine overheats. When an engine overheats, the oil film becomes dangerously thin and can rupture.

I thought this interesting.

As wear increases, the efficiency of an engine declines. Valve train wear slightly changes valve timing and movement. Ring and liner wear affect compression. The wear hurts fuel efficiency and power output by an imperceptible amount at first, but then the difference in fuel economy between an SAE 10W-30 and SAE 5W-20 is hardly noticeable. Efficiency continues to decline as wear progresses. Perhaps optimizing wear protection is the way to reduce fuel consumption over the life of the engine.

Although thinner oils with less antiwear additive outperform more robust products in the 96-hour fuel economy test, it is not clear that such products save fuel over the useful life of the engine.

Something I hadn't thought of at all, might make an interesting discussion.

The best protection against wear is probably a product that is a little thicker (such as SAE 10W-30 or 15W-40) and has more antiwear additives than the oils that support the warranty. The best oil for your vehicle depends on your driving habits, the age of your engine and the climate you drive in, but it is not necessarily the type of oil specified in the owner’s manual or stamped on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This is a perennial topic here and the article you've linked to has been linked to in earlier threads as well.
My takeaway after years of information and thought is about what it was long before I came here.
To wit, most engines as most of us use them are perfectly fine on a variety of grades.

Whether a thicker grade would reduce wear with our two current daily drivers is a valid question, but also a pretty irrelevant one since any decent modern engine throws off so little metal after break-in.
There are special cases where a thicker than recommended grade might be appropriate for all users, but those aren't typical.

There is no doubt that you'll do no harm in using a thicker than recommended grade and may do some good, so those who wish to do so should go right ahead. The loss in fuel economy will be only slight and the thicker viscosity at really low temperatures will only matter in areas where the engine should have some sort of pre-heater used anyway.
It's all a matter of what you've come to learn and therefore believe.

No oil can really make up for baked-in design or materials selection problems, though. Soft cam lobes, piston slap due generic sized pistons as well as inadequate skirt length and timing chain wear due to inadequate hardening are all known problems with certain current engines that no oil can fix.

My apologies for missing this, you must have posted while I was typing mine. I didn't know this article had been posted before, or I wouldn't have put it up. Thanks for the perspective and intelligent response.

Nothing you should apologize for at all.
I always read through these threads to glean the wheat from the abundant chaff.
One may well find an insightful post that brings new perspective to this eternal debate.
My views are informed only by what I now know and may change as I learn more or view things in a new
light.
All of us should be willing to base our choices upon what we can learn. Oil grade is not a matter of
dogma, so those who favor thicker or thinner grades cannot be considered heretics.
The wide diversity of grades recommended for any given engine across various different markets demonstrates this.

I largely agree with the points made in the article. Most people here don’t seem to have a solid understanding of tribology, which I find strange given that this is a motor oil forum. So, much talk is about anecdotes, personal experiences, myth propagation, and believing advertising. I generally don’t get involved in threads full of such discussions due to lack of interest.

Originally Posted By: JAG
I largely agree with the points made in the article. Most people here don’t seem to have a solid understanding of tribology, which I find strange given that this is a motor oil forum. So, much talk is about anecdotes, personal experiences, myth propagation, and believing advertising. I generally don’t get involved in threads full of such discussions due to lack of interest.

Shame the most knowledgeable guy left …

Hopefully Molakule will start posting again. It is up to us to follow in his footsteps of being technically competent by self-education. I don’t mean that we will become as knowledgeable as he is, but we can all improve our knowledge.

This has been a topic I've been over many times and have tested in my old 2013 Ram 5.7 while canyon racing in north Georgia. One thing I want to bring up is, internal engine components are cooled by oil Directly and cooled by coolant Indirectly. I switched from Dodge Ram recommended 5w20 to a 5w30 engine oil and my oil sump temperatures were 16 degrees Fahrenheit Hotter than the 5w20. Why? Because thinner oils flow better through internal engine components, and pull more heat from your engine. The thicker oil flowed slower through the internal engine components and drove the oil temps up. The flip side to that is my oil sump temperatures while driving around town with the 5w30 was only 1-2 degrees hotter than the 5w20. This experiment got me thinking, so I wrote certified letter to the Ram manufacturing plant in Mexico, corporate office in Ann Arbor Michigan, and corporate office in the London United Kingdom. And I asked them what oil was recommended Specific to the Cam and Bearings clearances. To my surprise I got a response, and they recommended 5w20. Please see bearing to journal clearance standard for the 4th gen Hemi with the 5.7

No 1) .0015-.003
No 2) .0019-.0035
No 3) .0015-.003
No 4) .0019-.0035
No 5) .0015-.003

After my testing and research I switched back to 5w20. For my racing needs the 5w20 oil was a better choice, driving around town, to work, there wasn't much difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back