Florida push mower oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: Jake777
B&S says use a straight 30wt

So, why don't you just use what B&S recommends? A good brand name SAE 30 HD motor oil is best for small air cooled 4-cycle engines used in warmer climates.

Is best? Some might disagree.

My 25 year old Toro with B&S engine used weekly in Texas heat doesn't disagree. The rest of the mower is nearly worn-out but the engine still runs like a champ.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: Jake777
B&S says use a straight 30wt

So, why don't you just use what B&S recommends? A good brand name SAE 30 HD motor oil is best for small air cooled 4-cycle engines used in warmer climates.

Is best? Some might disagree.

I’ve used the M1 10w30 plenty, but couldn’t walk past Delo 10w30 for $2/quart …

I use 5W-40 Mobil 1, Turbo Diesel Truck. A very robust oil, with a fantastic additive package. It's more than capable of use in all weather conditions.

Originally Posted By: ENGINEER60
Straight sae30 only is the ONLY way to go with air cooled snall engines.
Anything less merely destroys them

I have been using anything in Sae40 for 20years now...and lawnmover & snowthrower are both still working flawlessly

I use NAPA 15-40 Universal fleet in everything I own except my vehicles. Lawnmower with a Kawasaki FJ189 10 years, Yamaha F115 outboard about 300 hrs and my generators one with a B&S10 HP and one with a Honda Vtwin 20 HP none seem to care what oil I use and I have tried others. The NAPA is cheap and easy to get. I did a Blackstone test after 50 hrs in my outboard and they said it would go another 100. Thats enough for me. It also has enough ZDDP for all the things I use it in.

Does anyone know who actually makes Walmart 15W40 Supertech oil? Noticed it on sale in Canada for $48.00 for 19 liters. That's only $2.50/liter and it's apparently very good HDEO.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4795110/Super_Tech_Conventional_15w40_

Topic from just a few hours ago....put your googles on dude
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Up here in Jacksonville I've been running 15w40 for the last 5 years. Not sure it really makes any difference over a SAE 30 5w30 or 10w30 but I have a ton of 15w40 so why not.
15W-40 is the new straight 30.

For my self propelled Deere mower, I use whatever diesel truck oil I can find on sale from Walmart.

I change it once a year, and the oil always comes out clean. I'm probably doing it too much, but for 3-5 bucks its good sense.

The Deere has a standard Briggs engine and takes 20 ounces of oil.

I have used 10w40 and 5w40 in Texas, we mow almost year round, sometimes I find myself doing a quick mow in January to clean up the weeds.

No smoke, no blowby, no usage and the Deere is about 8 years old now.

I think the most important thing is when we get into late fall, or early winter, I start running it on the expensive canned ethanol free gas from Home Depot.

That way I don't get any gelling or anything while it sits.

So I spend maybe 7 bucks and run it on canned gas a few times to circulate it through the system.

I throw a new air filter in the Deere about twice a year, as the dusty dry grass gets sucked into the filter quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back