Guest's devices cannot connect to my WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of bewildered, have 3 house guests and despite having the correct network and password are unable to join my WiFi for internet access. These are Apple devices, two I Phones and an Apple I Pod. My own two notebooks, Kindle, and two Androids phones connect without problem. Modem/Router is Actiontec C1900A with CenturyLink DSL internet service. I went through modem/router settings and am unable to find what might be the problem. Frustrating for my guests. Appreciate any input.

Scott

Maybe you have limitation how many devices can connect at time...

Dissconnect one amongst your devices and see what happens...

If MAC address filtering is enabled, you will have to add the Network MAC address from each device before it can connect to your wireless network.
To find the MAC address Settings -> General -> About -> Wi-Fi Address

What level of Wireless security are you using on the router?

Your router offers these security types:
- Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA,WPA2)
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
- MAC Address Filtering

WPA2 WPA Personal (might also have WPA 2 enterprise, might not work) should work for all recent Apple products.
Some older I Phones will need WEP security to connect.

Make sure you have all wireless network types available.
Some routers allow you to choose only N or AC wireless connections. It may show as something like allow Mixed mode (A, B, G, or N)
The Apple Devices may only have B or G wireless network capability if they are older than 4 or 5 years.

Is your wireless network on the 2.4 or 5 Ghz band.
Some older Apple (and PC / Andriod) may only have 2,4 Ghz network capabiolty, if your wireless is 5 Ghz they will not see the network SSID.

Last edited:
Either MAC filtering or the wrong band. Can these guest devices see the SSID of your wireless router? If they can then the band is probably OK.

This is a good reason to get a wireless router with a guest network.

Turn one of your devices into a hotspot?

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
a good example ofwhy tech stuff is not plug and play.
who helps a homeowner with this king of problem?
tha cable company?

If he's leasing the router from the cable company they darn well better help with this issue.

Call Century Link. They have always been helpful to me.

But before that, power your router and everything down for a couple of minutes and then turn them back on. Do not reset the modem until you talk with CenturyLink.

Originally Posted By: boulderdentist
Kind of bewildered, have 3 house guests and despite having the correct network and password are unable to join my WiFi for internet access. These are Apple devices, two I Phones and an Apple I Pod. My own two notebooks, Kindle, and two Androids phones connect without problem. Modem/Router is Actiontec C1900A with CenturyLink DSL internet service. I went through modem/router settings and am unable to find what might be the problem. Frustrating for my guests. Appreciate any input.

Scott
your 5 devices connect without a problem to the guest or private network? I know by default my Linksys router had a 5 member limit assigned to the guest network. This was a feature I could change in my router settings.

I had to reset the modem to factory defaults, then reconfigured and changed the SSID and password, all is now well. Mac filtering was disabled. Thanks for all the replies, just could not find the setting that was messing things up. In past years I have had as many as seven devices connected with no problem.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back