2014 Mazda5 Valvoline Synpower 0W-20 7500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JLTD
What is your average driving pattern, PWMDMD?

Almost all around town driving - it’s rare this car sees the highway. This 2.5L is also underpowered for this application and so I find myself really having to keep RPM up to produce acceptable performance.

Car had 52500 miles at the time this was taken and runs beautifully.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Originally Posted By: zeng
You're sure the oil wasn't an xW30 ? as 9.84 is high for a 0W20.

Last oil change was done by a Valvoline quick oil change shop so all I can say is it was supposed to be Valvoline SynPower 0W-20. This was always my problem with these places - you have no idea what they’re really using for oil or filters.

We have a 2012 Mazda 5 Sport with automatic. This thing is very pehe named it Zippy. That was on the first day she had it. Runs just great. Only problem so far is the push button under rubber to open the back door. Had that 2 times already at 97K. I am running 0-20 Citgo synthetic in it. When we start up it is difficult not to spin the front tires. Maybe your mass airflow sensor needs to ne cleaned with that special spray stuff.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
We have a 2012 Mazda 5 Sport with automatic. This thing is very pehe named it Zippy. That was on the first day she had it. Runs just great. Only problem so far is the push button under rubber to open the back door. Had that 2 times already at 97K. I am running 0-20 Citgo synthetic in it. When we start up it is difficult not to spin the front tires. Maybe your mass airflow sensor needs to ne cleaned with that special spray stuff.

Car drives the same way it did on day one. The engine is a good engine as far as smoothness and it’s rev happy but torque is lacking so I find myself around 4500 rpm for most shifts. Also trying to put 5 people in it with bags and merge with highway traffic means gas on the floor all the way up to 75mph just to not get rammed from behind.

Don’t get me wrong I have respect for this misfit car - it does what it’s supposed to do well - just could’ve used the 2.5L Skyactiv engine which I found has lots more usable torque lower in the rpm range. The net result here is even around town I ring the [censored] out of this engine.

How related is this engine to the 2.5L in my Ford Escape? Because I've got SynPower 5W-30 in there right now and would hope it would be turn out a better UOA than that.

We had one of the early 5s with the 2.3 MZR. They’re good engines and good vehicles. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
How related is this engine to the 2.5L in my Ford Escape? Because I've got SynPower 5W-30 in there right now and would hope it would be turn out a better UOA than that.

I believe they are the same engine.

Originally Posted By: PWMDMD
Originally Posted By: JLTD
What is your average driving pattern, PWMDMD?

Almost all around town driving - it’s rare this car sees the highway. This 2.5L is also underpowered for this application and so I find myself really having to keep RPM up to produce acceptable performance.

Car had 52500 miles at the time this was taken and runs beautifully.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Thanks--

I have 52,500 on my 2015 3 with the 2.0. Definitely could use some more power. I've never done a UOA. The car has only had M1 0w20 EP/AFE. My commute the lat 1.5 years has been roughly 6k per year (12 miles a day to work, roundtrip.). Fuel dilution was a concern over the winter months as the oil leve went over the full mark which was the first time I noticed that. Since summer this hasn't occurred.

Originally Posted By: buster
Surprised this oil thickened into a 30 grade.

Like I said the last OC was done by Valvoline - it's entirely possible they did not use 0W-20. Next UOA should be more revealing as it was done by me and I know exactly what was used.

Originally Posted By: PWMDMD
Originally Posted By: zeng
You're sure the oil wasn't an xW30 ? as 9.84 is high for a 0W20.

Last oil change was done by a Valvoline quick oil change shop so all I can say is it was supposed to be Valvoline SynPower 0W-20. This was always my problem with these places - you have no idea what they’re really using for oil or filters.
Thank you for clarification.

So the new report looks better. There's only 3500 miles on this oil and not 5000 miles as the report states. The previous oil change was done at a Valvoline shop and I really doubt they put 0W-20 Synpower in there like they were supposed to have.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 28
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by buster

Like I said the last OC was done by Valvoline - it's entirely possible they did not use 0W-20. Next UOA should be more revealing as it was done by me and I know exactly what was used.

Looks thick for a 0w20. With documentation for warranty purposes, i'd keep going back! They did you a favor!

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by buster

Looks thick for a 0w20. With documentation for warranty purposes, i'd keep going back! They did you a favor!

Meh...2x the OCI yet 3x the copper and 4x the iron...no thanks. Fundamentally the car was driven with exact same routine over both OCIs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back