VOA Ravenol ECS 0W-20

Thanks for the VOA! Looks like a pretty stout 0W20, no D1G2 certification on that one!
smile.gif

I thought the flashpoint for an Xw20 was >385?

Seems like a rock solid oil, a little on the thin side of the spectrum.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Looks just fine. Are you planning on running this?

I was thinking about it. Wanted to see the VOA first.

Really I’m waiting for Ravenol 0W-20 DFE to come to the US.

Originally Posted By: PWMDMD

I does look good. One thing about Ravenol is that they have a lot of different types of oils. Their 0w20 EFS looks pretty good as well but with a slightly higher Noack number.

I does look good. One thing about Ravenol is that they have a lot of different types of oils. Their 0w20 EFS looks pretty good as well but with a slightly higher Noack number.

Noack on 0W-20 DFE is 7.2 - just can’t seem to get it here...yet.

Just got an email from Ravenol - 0W-20 DFE is scheduled to be released in the US late fall into early winter 2018 but he said it can be special ordered now. Waiting to hear the details of the special order.

Last edited:

I know there’s always some variation but looking at viscosity, TBN and flashpoint this sample doesn’t seem to measure anywhere close to what they are supposed to be based on the website. This ECS is supposed to have a viscosity of 8.08 @ 100C and the DFE is supposed to have a viscosity of 8.4 @ 100C which I’m hoping would be more acceptable.

Last edited:
I know there’s always some variation but looking at viscosity, TBN and flashpoint this sample doesn’t seem to measure anywhere close to what they are supposed to be based on the website. This ECS is supposed to have a viscosity of 8.08 @ 100C and the DFE is supposed to have a viscosity of 8.4 @ 100C which I’m hoping would be more acceptable.

Strange how the German website lists different properties (which may match up better with this VOA here!):

As others have said above, this one is meant to be a tad on the thin side, with an HTHS=2.6, to suit the Jaguar Land Rover spec. Not dexos1, but this stuff can be used in just about any non-DI, non-turbo, non-GM engine that calls for an SN GF-5 0w20.
Not good in a confirmed fuel diluter. Those 0w20-applications should probably get thicker M1 AFE 0w30 or a full-syn 5w30 to counteract fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Holy batsnot! -63*C pour point!I don't even think gasoline will vaporize at that low of a temperature! That oil needs a "Siberia Approved" sticker on it!
laugh.gif

That's -81 degrees Fahrenheit to you and me. A witch's rear is warm compared to that.

That, and its got a NOACK less than 8%. This stuff is all PAO base, as they advertise.
The dexos1 Gen2 Ravenol DFE 0w20 has similar numbers.

The DFE may be really great stuff but Ravenol wants $18.08 per liter with a minimum purchase of a case of 20 ($361.60). They said they are not putting in an order to Germany until July 19 and then it’s 6-10 weeks before it arrives. My guess is this order will include Ravenolamerica’s order for the fall release of DFE and I’m interested to see what the non-special order price will be once it’s officially released in the US. For comparison the ECS was $49.99 for 5 liters ($9.99/L) on Amazon with free shipping.

.....Ravenol wants $18.08 per liter with a minimum purchase of a case of 20 ($361.60). They said they are not putting in an order to Germany until July 19 and then it’s 6-10 weeks before it arrives.
Thanks for finding all that out. I'm watchin' & waitin'. One could just use M1 AP 0w20 til the Ravenol DFE dexos1 gen2 stuff reaches our shores. ...
U mention 'per liter'; can they sell us their 4-liter or 5-liter sizes instead for less per liter? Nice they even have a handy 4-liter size, since all I usually see here in the U.S. is 5-quart sized jugs. Some engines don't need all 5; avoids leftovers if you don't need it.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
.....Ravenol wants $18.08 per liter with a minimum purchase of a case of 20 ($361.60). They said they are not putting in an order to Germany until July 19 and then it’s 6-10 weeks before it arrives.
Thanks for finding all that out. I'm watchin' & waitin'. One could just use M1 AP 0w20 til the Ravenol DFE dexos1 gen2 stuff reaches our shores. ...
U mention 'per liter'; can they sell us their 4-liter or 5-liter sizes instead for less per liter? Nice they even have a handy 4-liter size, since all I usually see here in the U.S. is 5-quart sized jugs. Some engines don't need all 5; avoids leftovers if you don't need it.

Still have to buy the 5L containers by the case:

DFE 0w20 5L is $82.82/ea (case of 4 = $331.28)

Last edited:
Ouch! That price is way too high. You can do about as well using Exxon-Mobil's best oil, M1 AP, or even the old M1 EP has a good slug of PAO in there too.... I currently run Pennz Plat 0w20 because it was $13 for a 5-quart jug after rebate, so I cheaped out but got a very decent oil. Ravenol asks too much.

Once it's officially released if I can get a 5L container of DFE for $50-$60 I may try it - but NOT for $83 per 5L. I'm really hoping that price was just because it was a special order.

At minimum I'll buy 1L just to get a VOA first to see if there are really Unicorn tears in it.

Last edited:
A great option for you, and anybody that doesn't run a DI+turbo engine, is to get the bargain Ravenol ECS 0w20 from Amazon (its even Prime; free shipping if you have it).
I doubt its much different than the DFE performance wise, and its pretty reasonably priced there. https://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J1A1502-SAE-0W-20-Motor/dp/B00NGYGO3O/ref=asc_df_B00NGYGO3O/

Last edited:
Back