Fuse "failure"

Status
Not open for further replies.
TL; DR: Grass clippings made their way in side a blade fuse, which caused it to blow.

I had the Kubota G1800 Diesel out last weekend. She was idling in the driveway for about 15 minutes before I noticed the temp gauge wasn't increasing and the fuel tank was reading empty. Knowing I just filled the tank, I tried turning on the headlights, which didn't turn on either. I parked her back in the garage and turned it off. After trying to restart it, nothing happened. Rain was in our forecast for a few days and I didn't have the time so there she sat.

I finally had time to check it out today and the battery was putting out 12.5 volts and the starter was getting 12.3 volts. There's a 3 fuse fuse box inside the radiators intake area and I noticed one was blown. Come to find out, it was packed fulled of 20 years worth of grass clippings. I replaced the fuse and she fired right up.

Who would have thunk. Grass clippings causing a fuse failure..

I’m pretty sure that’s how I got my Kubota ZD21, grass in the shutdown fuse. The guy I bought it from said it randomly went dead and had a safety switch problem. Push on the shutdown fuse and the engine would go dead. Also it wasn’t charging the battery. New fuses and a cleaning and I’m back in business.

I brought the alternator from my Bobcat to two different rebuilding places and both said it was putting out a proper voltage. But gauge said the voltage was low. Come to discover the gauge had sawdust in it and the needle would only move so far. Odd things are possible.

Originally Posted By: racinjason
I’m pretty sure that’s how I got my Kubota ZD21, grass in the shutdown fuse. The guy I bought it from said it randomly went dead and had a safety switch problem. Push on the shutdown fuse and the engine would go dead. Also it wasn’t charging the battery. New fuses and a cleaning and I’m back in business.

My dad has a gas equivalent of the diesel in my OP. Bought it for $500 because of a "safety switch" issue.
laugh.gif

Anyways, it's fuse box has a rubber molded cover protecting it from debris.. It's a few years newer so maybe they did an upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back