Denso Oil filter - outsourced / quality changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always been a big fan of Denso oil filters. I make it a habit to throw a couple on every Rockauto purchase if the shipping warehouses align just right. Cost $4 and change, silicone ADBV, even pleat spacing, thick media, tough can. I've opened a few after oil changes and I'm always impressed at the value-- haven't found anything else that beats it for the price.

I received a couple today and they're clearly not the same filters as the old ones. The old one has been the same can, design, construction going back 10+ years that I've been ordering them. I don't know that you can call it outsourcing since the originals are made in Taiwan, but these new ones are now made in China. No more silicon ADBV, cheap flimsy can, the holes on the inside are louvers so I can't get a good view of pleat spacing unless I open it up-- definitely some cost cutting going on here. The side of the box no longer details all the fine points of the filter construction (efficiency, materials used, etc.) The even cheaped out on the package, the old one had a nice gloss finish and very robust.

It'll be the last time I order a Denso filter-- these would probably be okay compared next to an E-core, Supertech, Fram, STP, Pentius (a Rockauto brand I think) and other $2-3 filters. But at $4, it just doesn't cut the mustard.

Old filter purchased 1-2 years ago on right. New filters left and middle. Left is a PH3600 equivalent, middle is a PH16 equivalent. If you look closely, the middle and left don't even look like the same filter (at least the base plate doesn't). What do ya'll think?

d50f0620e0.jpeg

RIP Denso oil filters.

I always thought they were a name you could trust. I know it is just the oil filters but I see their name recommended for parts for Japanese cars and O2 sensors.

EDIT: More pics plz.

Last edited:
Cut one open to take a look inside ... could tell a lot.

Denso recently built a large factory in China. A few months ago I purchased 6 fram Ultra for $4.50 each on flebay. Not trying to cause a debate or anything.

Many years ago, I had an 1991 Eclipse (purchased new) and saw the Mitsu OEM filters from Japan to Thailand. There was a difference in quality, now China.

It's a new World!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I also noticed the thinner can, you could actually squeeze (slightly) some of the larger ones I used on the older european cars, when the older ones were physically heavier. I think i have one buried on the shelf at the shop for a few years, Ill check monday

The Denso FTF sourcing in China has been known for few years as noted HERE. Based on construction including use of silicone adbv and coo, I too preferred the US made version over the current China version. Just me. I don't remember seeing an efficiency rating for any of them.

As for the rest of your observations about construction, quality, and price....
35.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Possibly counterfeit/knockoffs?

I sure doubt it. Rockauto didn't have a picture for the ones I purchased, but some models they do, and it's the same ugly black can the new ones have, instead of the glossy blue can like they used to be. They're just cheaping out.

I will cut one open and post. I accidentally ordered the wrong filter for my mower-- I usually order PH3600 equiv. as it's a longer PH3614 that fits in my mowers. I always thought I could punch in a 1990's Chevy Astro to get a PH3600, but I was wrong. I got an 18mm baseplate filter which NONE of my cars take. Whoops. I don't know how I made that error, I must have been thinking of a longer filter for another application. It might take a day or so till I can get pics, I'm knee deep in a timing belt replacement on my '07 Pacifica. Halfway there and haven't even had to utter a curse word yet. Best to keep the good luck going before I take a break!

I've read good things about the Hyundai oil filters. I know they crossfit on my Montero. Not sure about your applications. They are stout filters.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Doesn't surprise me. Corporations with some penny pinching bean counters thinking lower cost quality won't make a difference to the masses.

Maybe Trump will also tarrifs on the steel cans in imported oil filters lol.

I've converted to Fram Ultra's thanks to all the good I've heard and seen at BITOG.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Maybe Trump will also tarrifs on the steel cans in imported oil filters lol.

Please don't go political here.
Anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows that tariffs lead to lower competitiveness and higher consumer costs.

How do we know they are not counterfeit?

Denso has factories all over the world. It would be interesting to see another Denso filter to compare.

Tokyo Roki used to be Japan made but those filters are for their domestic market now. Factories in Thailand and Mexico supply the US market.

Also to add, just because something is made (assembled) in the US us no guarantee of quality. Most of the parts are outsourced from all over. Quality has to be judged by performance. However we all can choose which products to buy.

Looks like a good filter to me. Much better than others I have seen. What's wrong with it? Nice neat pleats and not much excess glue seen anywhere. Nice looking filter cutter too. Two for two on good taste.

My theory is they built a factory in China to serve other markets. How many people used Denso filters in the West? Very few. The Thailand factory has to supply Toyota, and that's a lot of filters to make. China seems able to accept any demand, so that's where they go when they need supply. I cut some Thai Denso FTF filters and posted them here, very high quality control. Denso is a Japanese company, they were already outsourcing filters to Thailand.

Don't be too sure the steel and other parts are not globally sourced in a USA made filter. The previous Supertech made by Wix had at one point on their box a label saying no more than 25% foreign content. Well, what does that even mean 25%? By weight, number, what? My guess would be most oil filters get a percentage of parts and materials from China, because none of them brag they don't.

I hope the Mazda filters don’t go to China. I was already disappointed when they stopped bringing in the Tokyo Roki Japanese filters in favor of Mexican or Thai made filters.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I hope the Mazda filters don’t go to China. I was already disappointed when they stopped bringing in the Tokyo Roki Japanese filters in favor of Mexican or Thai made filters.

when someone starts looking for pennies except they'll start looking for tenths of pennies.

The baseplate on the left filter looks like a Fram to me. It's a shame, makes me wonder if the OEM Toyota filters are going to be made in China now as well? I used to use them on my Tacoma exclusively until I discovered how awesome Fram Tough Guards and Ultras are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back