Bench Drill Press

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bench drill press from Harbor fright. Yes, I know its Harbor fright... I wasn't expecting too much from it, however, it has been problem free and satisfies a number of my needs except for one major issue.: Runout at the chuck is excessive. I would like to replace this with a better quality bench model (Or some kind of fix for the runout). I use it mostly for light metal drilling and carbon fiber and fibreglass. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? All IO see are WEN, which looks like my HF does, and other models whose names I have never heard of, jet, Genesis, buck, etc. Thanx in advance.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
I have a bench drill press from Harbor fright. Yes, I know its Harbor fright... I wasn't expecting too much from it, however, it has been problem free and satisfies a number of my needs except for one major issue.: Runout at the chuck is excessive. I would like to replace this with a better quality bench model (Or some kind of fix for the runout). I use it mostly for light metal drilling and carbon fiber and fibreglass. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? All IO see are WEN, which looks like my HF does, and other models whose names I have never heard of, jet, Genesis, buck, etc. Thanx in advance.

Old used one purchased locally. Because you use it for metal and need low rpm that makes it a bit more difficult. Old Craftsmans, Atlas, etc had optional low speed gearing but those are pretty rare and command a premium. You can fabricate your own pulley set up to slow it down but that is rather advanced for a DIYer.

Modern ones are going to be lower quality and have run out as you know. It is either refurbished old, or an industrial which is probably going to be three phase. You will need a VFD to control that but that's not that big of a deal. I think you can also control the speed of a single phase motor using some sort of drive but I am no expert.

I have a 1954 Craftman King Seely in mint condition.

What is not running true, the chuck or spindle ?
If you have an indicator, you can check each for run-out.
If it's just the chuck and you like the drill press, find a replacement chuck (cheapest option).

I ended up buying a Ryobi Drill Press at Home Depot.
It's good for what I need it for / comes with 5 speed step pulley
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-10-in-Drill-Press-with-Laser-DP103L/205503636

After 10 years, the 'chuck jaws' broke.
I bought a new chuck on Amazon (Southbend / Made in China) for $20.00
Excellent quality.

One other thing, does the chuck have a tapered shaft or is it threaded.
Mine was tapered and all parts were machined correctly during manufacturer.
Replacement chuck seated in and ran true.

Last edited:
I thought about used but haven't seen any in the ads lately.

AS for runout, its not the chuck, the whole shaft moves around. its enough to notice by hand.At the bit is can make teh drill 'walk' about 1/16 inch.

AS for runout, its not the chuck, the whole shaft moves around. its enough to notice by hand.At the bit is can make teh drill 'walk' about 1/16 inch.
shocked2.gif

Remove the chuck and check the shaft again with a dial indicator. Baring that, use a set of feeler gauges and a metal block to measure the run-out. Unplug the motor and turn by hand only.

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
Sounds like the drill press is junk.
Throw it away and get a Ryobi at Home Depot / $129.00

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-10-in-...r-27795-456723-

Hey I have that one! It works pretty good. No idea about runout but I think most drills can be adjusted to have less runout. Most probably won’t be as accurate as a mill but plenty close for drill work.

I think they all have ball bearings on these, so runout like that shouldn't be, even with cheap bearings. The spindle would be seen to move in the bearing. If bearing is tight, spindle may be bent on the end or the chuck is defective or mounted badly. I wouldn't doubt spindle end bending on one of these "things."
laugh.gif

I thought about used but haven't seen any in the ads lately.

It might take a while, but something nice will come up. I live in the largest city in Canada so I am spoiled a bit.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
shocked2.gif

Remove the chuck and check the shaft again with a dial indicator. Baring that, use a set of feeler gauges and a metal block to measure the run-out. Unplug the motor and turn by hand only.

I'll try that first. But seems I remember it doing it since new, I just did'nt want to buy another with that same amount of slop. Have some projects that require alittle more precision!

Look on Craiglist, there is always something old and good for short money. Get a floor model, something you can put an cross vise on, not for milling but to move the piece around to drill other holes without repositioning everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back