Replaced halogen headlight with LED

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a difference! Very bright white light that is really noticeable. My son has the Daymakers on his motorcycle and they really do stand out. I refuse to pay $400 for a 5.75 inch headlight, so I bought the $42 China copy off Amazon. Go ahead, flame suit on! I rode with 10 other guys on our regular Wednesday ride and several of them commented about how it stood out among the other bikes with Halogen lights. It was my first ride with the LED light so I rode with it on high beam, but after our breakfast stop I switched it to low beam. At the next stop the other riders commented that low beam was still bright enough to be extremely noticeable but not irritating. I ride very little at night but wanted a light that would be very noticeable even in daylight. LED turn signals will be next then the LED brake light.

Last edited:
Good to hear. Better that you're not blinding oncoming motorists.

Years ago I heard about "headlight modulators" for bikes. They pulsed the voltage so the light changing in brightness was perceived as brighter.

I wonder if that was true and if this feature will end up on LED headlights also.

I don't know about the headlights, but every single China/Ebay/Amazon/cheap turn signal/brake/etc. LED bulb (and I've tried a bunch) I've ever bought have never lasted more than a few months at best. The vibration they're subjected to in a vehicle kills them. Be especially leery of the real cheap ones with an aluminum heatsink-- they're so stiff and unforgiving that they are almost guaranteed to fail when going over moderate bumps or bump-strips on the road. That has been my experience, YMMV and I hope it does.

I still buy them from time to time, but I'm extremely careful about looking for signs of quality (the decent ones are never the most inexpensive) and I take the reviews with a grain of salt. I've learned not to use them for applications that are even remotely critical or safety related-- like indicator lights on an automobile. I use them on my mower headlights and stuff like that, but even then they don't last long. At least a headlight should be fairly obvious if it does happen to fail.

Lights are something I don't play with. If they go out, during a road trip or something, it's more pain than its worth. Esp on a bike.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Years ago I heard about "headlight modulators" for bikes. They pulsed the voltage so the light changing in brightness was perceived as brighter.

The modulator on my bike actually toggles between high and low beam . .

I put a set of these Rigid/Truck Lite LED headlights in the Jeep. These are a standard 7" round headlight so they fit lots of motorcycles and commercial trucks too. You can buy them single or as a pair, and you wouldn't need the heated version on a motorcycle either. These made a huge difference over the factory headlights. Unlike most of the Chinese lights, these are DOT certified to be street legal.

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-...A1RXCMX2376QAV1

As far as being able to see what the headlight is illuminating as you drive or ride, the human eye will pick up more detail on a night time road illuminated by Halogen than by led. It's because the retina-to-brain connection processes yellow light better than it does hues in the pure white to blue spectrum. Fact.

As a practical confirmation of the above fact, both my Ducati Multistrada's were factory equipped w/ LED headlights, in a side-by-side tandem config (both sides lit for lo beams and hi's). My Moto Guzzi has side-by-side tandem config with halogen bulbs, both sides lit for lo beams. When I do ride at night, I see the road and stuff better on the Guzzi than I used to on the Duc's.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I don't know about the headlights, but every single China/Ebay/Amazon/cheap turn signal/brake/etc. LED bulb (and I've tried a bunch) I've ever bought have never lasted more than a few months at best.

You don't have to use the cheapest garbage you can find. Even the name brands like Philips make good LED replacements at reasonable cost. I put LEDs in everything on my vehicles and yet to have one fail, even cheap no name china stuff. They really make indicator lights much more noticeable.

I put some of the more expensive LED headlights in my Jeep from Amazon, WOW, what a difference! The best part is the brightness doesn't change with voltage, so even though my wiring is a bit old they are just as bright as they will ever be. No way I would ever go back to the halogen sealed beams. Not only is it safer, it looks better too.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
What a difference! Very bright white light that is really noticeable. My son has the Daymakers on his motorcycle and they really do stand out.

The 5" Daymaker is amazing. If your new light is as good, you did well!

I have used a head light modulator for 13 years. My old one worked on high beam but the LED only works on low beam. They modulate from 100% to 70% is what I've read. I have never had anyone say it blinded them but a lot of people have said I much more noticeable.

Replaced the stock halogen with a Daymaker a few months ago due to how weak the original became. Got a good 10 years out of it so I can’t complain but man, what a difference that LED makes.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
As far as being able to see what the headlight is illuminating as you drive or ride, the human eye will pick up more detail on a night time road illuminated by Halogen than by led. It's because the retina-to-brain connection processes yellow light better than it does hues in the pure white to blue spectrum. Fact.

As a practical confirmation of the above fact, both my Ducati Multistrada's were factory equipped w/ LED headlights, in a side-by-side tandem config (both sides lit for lo beams and hi's). My Moto Guzzi has side-by-side tandem config with halogen bulbs, both sides lit for lo beams. When I do ride at night, I see the road and stuff better on the Guzzi than I used to on the Duc's.

I agree and yes it is fact the human eye is more sensitive to yellow light.

I have to say, for me and my eyes that I find it hard to notice the LED Harley lights on motorcycles during the daytime. If your anywhere off axis at times it looks like the lights are not even on and when directly viewing them, sure they look bright but the cooler blueish color temperature of 6000k ish blends in with the surrounding daylight as that is the color of daylight.

Im not concerned with me seeing at night, I am more concerned about others seeing me during the daytime and my set up does get noticed.

I also do a fair amount of night riding and riding in storms (not by choice) I do like the contrast of the standard halogen AND my very bright yellow/gold fog lights mixed in. I find I rather in most every case, ride with the low beams on with the yellow fogs lights on dark rural roads more then the high beam (which is very bright) as the high beam turns off the fog lights.
I just ran down to the garage to take this photo quickly to give an idea, in the real world it stands out even more.
It doesnt look "pretty" and sparkle like an LED but real world it gets noticed and to me the purpose of the lights.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back