Flashing third tail light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brigadier

Either way, they are annoying.

smirk.gif

That's the point. To get your attention

They're annoying.

Been a while but when I was reading up on bicycle lights, it turned out that flashing red blinkies are not used in Europe. I guess they tested them and found that it did not reduce collisions with bicyclists. So they only use solid red lights. These flashing lights seem to flash what, 3 times? really fast on initial application. But I wonder if testing has shown them to be effective.

Originally Posted By: supton
These flashing lights seem to flash what, 3 times? really fast on initial application.

I think it's 3 times fast and 3 times slow, and then they light up permanently.

Flashing third brake light aside, I've seen some cars will flash their hazard lights when you brake really hard (emergency braking), to warn drivers behind you that it's not just 'casual' braking action.

They are aftermarket. Some new car dealers offer the conversion as a dealer installed accessory/option. Some studies claim that they reduce rear-end collisions by a substantial percentage because they get the attention of inattentive/distracted drivers in traffic. The better designs only flash for a couple of seconds and then stay on solid. They are technically illegal.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Some studies claim that they reduce rear-end collisions by a substantial percentage because they get the attention of inattentive/distracted drivers in traffic.

I can see that, a good thing IMO.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
These flashing lights seem to flash what, 3 times? really fast on initial application.

I think it's 3 times fast and 3 times slow, and then they light up permanently.

Flashing third brake light aside, I've seen some cars will flash their hazard lights when you brake really hard (emergency braking), to warn drivers behind you that it's not just 'casual' braking action.

Any time I brake hard on the interstate I have made it a habit to reach for the hazard button.

They could draw your attention away from other hazards in the vicinity. Kinda like the accidents that happen near a police car with flashing lights.

I had that feature installed before it was cool. I always pump my brakes to get the drivers attention in a hard braking/significant speed change event. On my bike I do it all the time, the "I'm sorry i didn't see you there" stuff can be pretty painful. Or deadly.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Any time I brake hard on the interstate I have made it a habit to reach for the hazard button.

How do you do that? Any time I've had to brake hard it's the only thing on my mind. That or looking to see where else to go (and making sure I won't hit anything while doing so).

I do the exact same thing out on I-95 and the Turnpike. I am always baffled by people who tint their taillights dark. If anything I would want them brighter.

same here. it can be foreign for me though if I'm in a different vehicle where I don't have muscle memory of the hazard switch. I end up swatting a blank spot on the dash...

How do you do that? Any time I've had to brake hard it's the only thing on my mind. That or looking to see where else to go (and making sure I won't hit anything while doing so).

I do it, too. It becomes habit when you've done it enough. Some vehicles are easier than others. My Mercedes has the button is huge and in the center of the top of the center stack. In my 08 Jeep, I had to learn it, as it is at the bottom of the center stack, behind the shifter. I did learn it, though, and can brake hard and activate it at the same time, in most situations.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: wag123
Some studies claim that they reduce rear-end collisions by a substantial percentage because they get the attention of inattentive/distracted drivers in traffic.

I can see that, a good thing IMO.

+1 Fwiw, I agree with those studies findings.

I've heard this as being standard on some newer cars, but obviously will need to look up which ones as proof. However, my VW Passat has an "emergency braking" feature. When you brake hard, the third brake light flashes to draw attention. I had first seen this on a Hyundai while on the highway.

Came installed on my Hyundai Ioniq by the dealer, no charge, no mention. I noticed it one night pulling into my garage. A flashing third or center brake light is not illegal in Illinois but it may be illegal for all three brake lights to flash. The wording is ambiguous and is probably a case of the law hasn't caught up to the technology yet. I don't want all three to flash. Where it is clearly illegal it is probably illegal to have all three to flash but okay for the center light to flash.

It is just a chip you wire inline of the light. Many are adjustable as to the number of flashes and the duration.

I ride bikes and always ride with a flashing light on the rear and the front. Anything to get people's attention.

I'm waiting for the post that says they should be banned because flashing lights cause epileptic seizures. It always shows up in these threads.

My Hyundai also goes to emergency lights automatically on a hard brake.

Last edited:

Practice, and it is easy on my truck. I am still not proficient with the Fiat, as it is in the center dash. With ABS, traction control, stability control, etc...you don't need two hands to emergency stop anymore. Just mash the pedal to the floor and steer away from danger.

Flashing brake lights are not-yet approved by the US DOT.
"Mercedes-Benz and BMW are two of the manufacturers that did the studies and sells cars (and motorcycles) in Europe that are equipped with brake lights that flash quickly in response to hard brake pressure. The idea is to warn following drivers of a sudden stop from cars ahead. But U.S. government regulators say brake lights are allowed to do only one thing: glow more brightly than the taillights. Flashing is off-limits. Mercedes did get DOT approval to install the feature on a few cars, as a trial program, but that's all."
Individual states can decide weather or not they want to ticket vehicles for having them and in 13 states they can/will, but, it is up to an individual law officer to stop and ticket you for this if they choose to. Also, in some states, a vehicle equipped with them will not pass a state safety inspection. In Texas they are OK with it on the 3rd brake light as long as the flashing stops within a few seconds.

Last edited:
Maybe its a dealer installed option but... It is 100% being done on new vehicles. When I happen to notice its mostly on newer Toyotas. Cars that no one is "modifying" which means it came that way.

I installed a module that did this on a previous car that handled very well. It flashed the first time I hit the brake then wouldn't again if I hit the brake within a certain amount of time. basically so it didn't flash constantly if I hit the brake in traffic. I installed it when a car that tried to keep up with me found out they couldn't and had an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back