Who includes full size spare in tire rotation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new 4runner, which includes a full size spare underneath. Owner's manual calls for including the spare in the rotation schedule. This has logic in that your tires will last longer, and then replace all 5, and you don't end up with a 12 year old spare.

On the other hand it seems like potentially a lot of extra work, although I have not replaced such a spare before. Anyone perform this procedure with their vehicles?

Depends if the spare has the same style rim and how difficult it is to get it out of its storage position. If you do it yourself be careful you don’t get a hernia. If the shop does it, they’ll probably charge more. Might be a wash. One thing negative is that a spare underneath sometimes get’s it’s rim damaged from rocks etc. You might be systematically damaging your rims. My spare has a steel rim and now it’s totally rusty after 10 years stored down under the truck.

Last edited:
I've thought about it. On my truck it'd make sense, as tires on that would likely age out (as long as I avoid Michelin). My cars, they are lucky to go two years on a set of tires, so I'm not sure there is a net gain. No AWD either so it's not like I need the spare to be the same tread depth. In 5 or 6 years, keep the best looking (used) tire and put onto the spare.

Also I tend to buy off DTD sales and those are for sets of 4. 5 would cost me more.
wink.gif

But I like the idea. Just have to get a matching spare rim. Then tire rotates get pretty easy.

I think yours is a different looking rim than what is on the four corners?

I wouldn't bother even with a full-size spare... my last few Mercedes have had original spares 20+ years old (still in great condition) and I wouldn't hesitate to use in a emergency till I was able to get a replacement.

As long as you're reasonably religious about getting the spare out or down to check its inflation periodically (like at every tire rotation) to ensure that it'll be usable at the roadside when one of your others goes flat, buying one new tire every 10-12 years for the spare is not a big deal. I just go with a four-tire rotation. I sometimes stop along the highway to help out drivers who have a flat, and I never cease to be amazed at the sorry condition that many spare tires are in when they're pulled out of a long-forgotten trunk well.

My 2002 Silverado has the original spare that has never been out from under the truck. I checked it for the first time last year and the air pressure was down to 20psi. I need to be better at checking the spares on our two full size vehicles that have spares. My 2014 Cruze diesel doesn't have a spare, just a fix a flat kit.

Originally Posted By: Parlay_Slow
I just got a new 4runner, which includes a full size spare underneath. Owner's manual calls for including the spare in the rotation schedule. This has logic in that your tires will last longer, and then replace all 5, and you don't end up with a 12 year old spare.

On the other hand it seems like potentially a lot of extra work, although I have not replaced such a spare before. Anyone perform this procedure with their vehicles?

I will be doing 5 tire on my car once it comes time. In a few hundred miles me thinks. When I upgraded to 17" rims, I bought 5 and put 5 brand new tires on them, so I could do a 5 tire and not have a old/random spare if I need it. While also not wasting a brand new tire.

Also, if your spare is underneath like a truck, its a good time to lube the winch mechanism while the tire is down. Its not super bad for rust over where Im at, but I still had to deal with my share of frozen/rusted spare tire mechanisms in my day as a tire tech. Not fun to deal with.

In many cases, the spare wheel looks different than the regular wheels, even in a full size spare. I know Toyota does this a lot. The car will have alloy wheels, but the full-size spare will be a black steelie.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
In many cases, the spare wheel looks different than the regular wheels, even in a full size spare. I know Toyota does this a lot. The car will have alloy wheels, but the full-size spare will be a black steelie.

Couple years ago my wife and I kept having overnight flats (nails) and both missed appointments … being reactive I ordered like for like spare wheels/tires for hers/mine.

That has totally eliminated the flat tires …
wink.gif

Last edited:
After doing the 5-tire rotation, I would only buy 4 new tires and keep the best as spare. When the next 4 wear out, keep the best from that set as spare. There's no need for the spare to be a new tire. Might as well get full service from it.

I like the fact that with rotation, you can buy tires 4 at a time instead of 2 at a time when they wear out.

I like to keep the spare under the truck so when I place it in the rear it’s so covered in road grime I I can burn out all the way through first with one tire and rip it second. No but really it’s work so I don’t include it. That and it doesn’t match the other 4 so that bothers me

Using the spare tire winch somewhat regularly is going to offset the work that has to happen when it rusts up and you can't get the tire out when you need it

My Rav4 has a full size spare tire. The original from the factory is still bolted to the rear door.

I did 5 tire rotations on Sis' '99 Cherokee. It came with a 5th matching alloy from the factory.

Tire rotations even out the wear.
> I know know-it-alls will say they don't need rotations. "Just throw on a pair when needed", is the battle cry.
Tire rotations save a bit of money if you do them yourself or have the retailer do 'em for you as part of the sale.
> Big shots claim they don't need the money.
Tire rotations afford you the opportunity to inspect the tires completely and brake rotors / pads.
> Here they just make a face.

ROTATE ON!

I did a 5 tire rotation when I had an actual full size spare and I would also buy 5 new tires. I love having a full size spare...same size/brand/model that is on the other 4 corners.

Do the rotation on a 5 tire until you need new tires. Save the best one of the original tires for the spare and buy 4 new and do 4 tire rotations. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back