How to use up a case of SF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
What good would VOA on old oil serve? It would just cost the OP some effort and money.

You're right. Although it would indicate the oil is still good, and put to rest [for a little while ] the "how long does oil last in a sealed bottle" questions that we get about 50 times a year.
wink.gif

Agree with VOA, that'd be nice to see.

And...best way to use it? First.

SF was good until the mid-late 80s (API Chart)

It will do just fine, just might have a shorter useful life...

Originally Posted By: Franz
Hi! If These are plastic bottles and you are interested to sell About 4 or 5 pieces I would take them empty! Contact me for an offer!

The labels were cut probably for a rebate.

large.jpg

Use them in your wife’s car like I did but don’t tell her... my oil was circa 1984-5 that is new stuff!

Last edited:
What good would VOA on old oil serve? It would just cost the OP some effort and money.

I'd be curious to see what the zddp levels were back then for a name brand 5w30.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
Neighbor cleaning out basement gave me a case of Pennzoil 5W30 with the SF rating. Figured I could always use it for flushing the dirty oil out of a new to me car I pick up who's oil hasn't been changed in a long time. Or just use it in a beater. Any reason I shouldn't?

Here in Michigan we have outlets for the poor. Places like Goodwill and Purple Heart come to mind. Another place to donate would be a VFW or AMVETS Center.

Originally Posted By: chainblu

I'd be curious to see what the zddp levels were back then for a name brand 5w30.

Fund the experiment for him, then. Send him a check for the price of the VOA and his time & effort.

Looking good! If you have some emptied I would pay you 5 Dollar per bottle, if you would be able to ship them to PA, of Course woul pay that extra!

What do you have that you might use it in?
API SF was a current spec as late as 1996 so I must have used a lot of it.
If you have older stuff, just use it.
If you have newer engines calling for later API spec oil, you could probably use it on shorter drains or just mix it in a quart or two at a time.
Trust me, if someone gifted me a case of old spec oil, I'd find a use for it without having to ask here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back