LC20 and uses in modern motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just trying to see if anyone still uses LC20 (Lube Control). The reason I ask is upon looking on the forum it would seem that certain posts allude to that it’s not needed with the newer oils. The ad packs are potent enough to not need LC20. Now here’s the real reason I ask, my wife drives a small car and puts on maybe 5 to 10 miles a day and that's it, wouldn't LC20 help keep the oil in top shape to survive the short drives? or is there a better product? I would hate to have to change the oil every 3 months because of the short drives destroying the oil

I use it and FP Plus. LC20 is good in oil and transmission fluid as an antioxidant every thousand miles.

I used it to clean the upper cylinder and it appeared to work after changing oil. Purely anecdotal and a personal opinion. Running redline oil right now, so I'm not using LC20.

I like the idea of an Upper Cylinder Lubricant. Oils certainly have come a long way. I play hard in Montero at times!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: synman
certain posts allude to that it’s not needed with the newer oils. The ad packs are potent enough to not need LC20.

It was never needed with older oils, either. I can't believe they are even still in business...

Any good brand name oil on the shelf today will protect your vehicle just fine all by itself.

Now here’s the real reason I ask, my wife drives a small car and puts on maybe 5 to 10 miles a day and that's it
She is a perfect candidate to own a Ford Focus Electric or Nissan Leaf or Hyundai Ioniq full-electric car. We use a Focus EV for trips of less than 70 miles per day. Can't use it for long trips out of town, but its great for any daily driving tasks. No oil changes or spark plugs or transmissions to maintain.

wouldn't LC20 help keep the oil in top shape to survive the short drives? or is there a better product? I would hate to have to change the oil every 3 months because of the short drives destroying the oil
To fight the acid build-up from short trips, you could use Berryman's Engine Oil Extender, a product I saw the MSDS for and it has anti-oxidants (nice boost), moly, dispersants, and zddp to slow down degradation. Add a bit every month or so, like 1/4 the bottle at a time, until the bottle is used up, and it should extend the oil change interval from 3 months to 6 months. Then put in an engine flush in the last 50 miles before an oil change using any of the various ones you see at autoparts stores or walmart.

Also, something we've discussed here recently on these threads, and unique, is "Valvoline Premium Blue Restore". Only available at Cummins supply shops and RyderFleet online stores, maybe elsewhere I haven't heard. Its a high-POE high-solvency carbon attacker, and presumably sludge too, that I think may be good to use every 40,000 miles (64,000 km) for short-trippers like yours to clean out junk once in a while.

Yet another thread where it isn't even established there is a problem and we have people proposing all sorts of "fixes", all the way up to and including selling the car and buying an expensive replacement vehicle. Please.

Why do you "hate to change the oil" every 3000 miles yet you are willing to spend money on some additive that may or may not even help? LC20 while not expensive isn't free, why not just purchase an inexpensive oil such as Supertech conventional and change it on a relatively frequent basis?

5 to 10 miles a day is not as short as you think. My daughter used to drive the Accord two miles a day in high school and during the winter. That was short-tripping. A somewhat more frequent OCI seemed to allow it to survive just fine.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Why do you "hate to change the oil" every 3000 miles yet you are willing to spend money on some additive that may or may not even help? LC20 while not expensive isn't free, why not just purchase an inexpensive oil such as Supertech conventional and change it on a relatively frequent basis?

Labor is not free. It takes time, a mess, and hassle to recycle used oil. The cost of a cheap vs. nicer oil is not that significant in the whole.

Changing oil frequently is not necessary, and kind of silly to do when there are so many ways of extending an oil change interval from 3 months to 6 months using just a couple of steps, as I recommended above.

People usually wait until the engine is sludged up. Nice to see someone taking basic, easy, preventative measures up front.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Labor is not free. It takes time, a mess, and hassle to recycle used oil. The cost of a cheap vs. nicer oil is not that significant in the whole.

Changing oil frequently is not necessary, and kind of silly to do when there are so many ways of extending an oil change interval from 3 months to 6 months using just a couple of steps, as I recommended above.

People usually wait until the engine is sludged up. Nice to see someone taking basic, easy, preventative measures up front.

Agreed, but at the same time there really is no indication that his current driving routine is harmful to the engine or that he needs to do anything different at all.

I used LC20 when I first found this site and got on the extended oil change bandwagon. I've been working on my last gallon for a few years now. These days, I just add an ounce per quart a few weeks before an oil change.

I'm convinced LC20 is an effective cleaner--it dissolved carbon in a blocked Saturn EGR passage that throttle body spray wouldn't touch.

Synman, why do you think you need to change the oil every 3 months? In other words, you might be trying to solve a problem you don't have. Just as an example, my driving sounds a lot like your wife's--an in-town commute of about four miles each way, even shorter trips, occasional longer trips across the city, and one or two 2-hour highway trips each year. I use Mobil 1 and change it every 12-14 months. This is in a 2001 Silverado with an oil life monitor. The oil change light usually trips around 2200-2500. I reset it and change next time, around 5000 miles. You might not want to push it that far with your colder winters, but you could probably extend OCIs some without an additive.

Yet another thread where it isn't even established there is a problem and we have people proposing all sorts of "fixes", all the way up to and including selling the car and buying an expensive replacement vehicle. Please.

5 to 10 miles a day is not as short as you think. My daughter used to drive the Accord two miles a day in high school and during the winter. That was short-tripping. A somewhat more frequent OCI seemed to allow it to survive just fine.

These threads really irk you don't they?

Why get bent? You should know by now most grown men like to play with grease and oil and they have dreams of
sugar plums. Nobody will ever stop them. So why preach to them? They ain't gonna listen plus somebody somewhere gets
to get fat off the proceeds. This game is like steroids to bodybuilders. Even if you show them that there use will eventually
kill them they will smile and pop a handful of them right in front of you. It is a sick world but it's still America
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Zee09

Why get bent? You should know by now most grown men like to play with grease and oil and they have dreams of
sugar plums. Nobody will ever stop them. So why preach to them? They ain't gonna listen plus somebody somewhere gets
to get fat off the proceeds. This game is like steroids to bodybuilders. Even if you show them that there use will eventually
kill them they will smile and pop a handful of them right in front of you. It is a sick world but it's still America
smile.gif

Not bent at all. It is likely that the OP's owners manual prescribes a shorter OCI for severe service, assuming in the first place that his driving pattern qualifies for the definition of severe. I doubt it specifies using an additive or buying a different vehicle. That is where I was coming from.

Originally Posted By: Zee09

smile.gif

Not bent at all. It is likely that the OP's owners manual prescribes a shorter OCI for severe service, assuming in the first place that his driving pattern qualifies for the definition of severe. I doubt it specifies using an additive or buying a different vehicle. That is where I was coming from.

Understood. Sometimes I think I'm guilty of short tripping only to realize my short trips are 21 miles per pop.
Open road too. I'm starting to just throw in an approved oil and filter and check it once and awhile and forget all
the OCD nonsense. Life is too short and I have taken better care of my mechanical items than myself.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
What the heck is LC20? This is the first I've ever heard of it... please do tell fellas!

A product that used to be peddled here like holy water and is now banned for various reasons. Typical snake oil - by the gallon - internet only.

If the product were of any use you would see it on the shelf of auto parts stores by now.

Interesting comments, Oilfilters I don't think you know what you are talking about. 2 respected tribologists on this forum both endorsed lube control products. One of them actually ran a Honda to 10,000 miles without a oil change. Strangely the posts that were on this forum that detailed the feat have been deleted. Lube control is suppose to emulsify with carbon in your engine thus allowing for longer drain intervals. Its not a magic bullet or "holy water" it simply helps the oil last longer. That's why I asked why its no longer needed with todays oil.

Strangely the posts that were on this forum that detailed the feat have been deleted.

Must be the "man" trying to keep them down. *sigh*

If they had repeatable results they would be for sale at autoparts stores, you know Lube Control isn't purposely limiting their sales to the internet for no reason. And there is a reason they aren't welcome here anymore.

I've been around for the past LC/Auto-RX sagas, I know exactly what I'm talking about. With that level of unprofessionality and poor sales distribution, there is no way they have a good product. They've had enough time to catch on now, but yet they haven't.

And yes, I have tried the products mentioned. Waste of money.

Oilfilters what is it you know? Do you have any data to prove the product never worked? I have many opinions about many things but without any facts they are simply opinions.

Oilfilters what is it you know? Do you have any data to prove the product never worked?

You can't prove a negative. Yes, I did a lot of testing with their product back in the day, and the result was it did nothing. It continues to do nothing today, maybe even more so with modern oil. They wouldn't be banned from this forum if it wasn't a useful product without bad advertising.

It seems like you just want somebody to tell you "Yes, you need LC". There are way better options to solve your problem but you totally ignore them. It won't do anything for you and your short trips.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Oilfilters what is it you know? Do you have any data to prove the product never worked?

You can't prove a negative. Yes, I did a lot of testing with their product back in the day, and the result was it did nothing. It continues to do nothing today, maybe even more so with modern oil. They wouldn't be banned from this forum if it wasn't a useful product without bad advertising.

It seems like you just want somebody to tell you "Yes, you need LC". There are way better options to solve your problem but you totally ignore them. It won't do anything for you and your short trips.

They were banned from this forum? Honestly that was something I didn't know.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
21.gif

You think all their posts stopped by choice? This place was their number one sales tactic! They used to be frequent posters...just like Auto-RX.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
21.gif

You think all their posts stopped by choice? This place was their number one sales tactic! They used to be frequent posters...just like Auto-RX.

Honestly I had no idea they were banned. They did have a small loyal following. I thought sales weren't good here anymore and they took their marbles and went home. The other product I know all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back