Full Synthetic CJ-4 or > 5W-30 or 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for options for a full synthetic 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil that meets at least CJ-4 specifications. I have found Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-30 and Delo 400 LE Synthetic 5W-30. Are there any other options? Oil will be for a 2018 Massey Ferguson 1742 tractor.

Thanks,
Jeff

I put about 100 hrs a year on a tractor(ford 1710). It gets Rotella 15-40 conventional when it's on sale at WalMart. That tractor is 22 yrs old and purrs like a kitten. Unless there is something I don't see, you don't need a synthetic. What is that tractor...20 h/p ? How much stress/lload can you really put on it?

Is this still available BoiseRob? I searched for 9012 on their we site and there were no matches returned. Earlier in the week I actually contacted Schaeffers specifically asking the same question I asked here. They promptly responded and said my OEM recommends a synthetic blend and she recommended #0711 SynShield OTR Plus 10w-30 or #0722 SynShield Ultra Performance 10w-30. A local retailer sells the 0711 for $7.99 per quart if I buy 10 quarts.

Jeff

I feel the full synthetic oil is just better than convention or synthetic blends. I have been using full synthetic oil in my 2005 Ford Focus work car for a number of years changing the oil annually (about 12-13K miles) with what I consider to be an excellent filter and I am coming up on 190k miles.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: LeTempt
Is this still available BoiseRob?

Yes, I just ordered two, 6 gallon cases. Any reseller should be able to order it. The only reference on their website is in the SDS/TD section which is their full list of products...

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Schaeffer's Supreme #9012 10w30

http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/289-9012-td.pdf

I have been using Schaeffer 711 10w30 CK-4 blend since it was introduced in fall of 2016 in a factory reman 2000 Detroit 60 12.7. Used the previous CJ-4 10w30 syn blend prior to the CK-4 stuff now. Now has 858,000 miles on the reman and the oil samples still look as good as when the motor had 50,000 miles on the reman. Approximately 22,500 mile / 450 hr oil changes and uses about 2 qt in that interval. Cheaper than the full syn stuff and quite comfortably up to the task. The motor has not been opened up for a repair in that 858,000 miles. Same injectors and same BW turbo.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/296-711-td.pdf

As a side note, the Schaeffer full syn is 25% Group IV and 75% Group III. The syn blend is 25% Group IV and 75% Group II+. Virtually the same add pack. Not really a substantial difference except price.

Just fine. Actually have ballpark 5 million miles behind me in all the years of commercial driving. The 858,000 on the present truck was just the last 6 years. Slowing down a little now. Want to relax more, ride my motorcycle, see some sights, etc.

LeTempt

1) any decent HDEO will do fine in your tractor. Use syn if you want, because you "feel" it's better. (pssssstttt ... it won't be, but that's OK).
2) 8 posts in 9 years; four of which have come in this thread? Now THAT is restraint!

Doing well. If you can stand the dealer price, your local John Deere dealer has a great selection of synthetic oils in the JD +50 line. Any grade you want. Great add pack and well regarded oils all
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back